Took her on the hwy!!!! 1st time!!!

FazerWest

YAY!!!!!!!!! it was awesome, minus the 30+mph winds! I was shocked that I wasnt nervous at all!! I thought I would be freaking out that all the cars would want to sideswipe me or cut me off, but they didnt! Any advice on my riding would be appreciated!! I am still supernoob, only started riding in late march.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJ_RfObSjw&feature=plcp]FZ6R on the highway?? OK!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

daddyrack

Premium Member

r0ar

Ma'am did you run that first stop sign? I do not believe i saw camera movement to support a claim of you putting a foot down and merging over a solid white line.... tisk tisk Rook you are a man of the law in CA go ahead and issue citation :)

No Seriously , good job with maintaining the bike with the winds though especially being so new. Apparently my timing of asking if you've hit big girl speeds was right on cue.

Brock Kickass

When I first got my 6R, I had never been on a real-deal street bike as I pilot. I had been on plenty street bikes as a passenger, and had trail bikes and motocross bikes when I was younger, so I was comfortable with bikes overall.
Due to the geographical relationship between my local dealership and my home, I rode my bike less than a mile before I had it on the highway at 60+mph. I was a little nervous that a street bike would be so different from anything I had done before that I wouldn't know how to ride it, but there's only one way to learn so off I went.
I could not believe how stable the bike felt. It got more and more solid under me the closer I got to highway speeds.
The point of this long-winded story about me (in my world, everything is about me) is that you'll find, as you ride more and more on the streets and highways, the bike will feel better and better. Your confidence will increase with every experience.
Congrats on a big step. I'm glad for you that it went well, that you enjoyed yourself, and that your experience as a rider is growing. Keep it up and enjoy the ride!

WKD

Good job I assume that wind was buffeting from your right, so you did the right thing staying a little more center lane to allow for the movement of the bike. Once you get comfortable on the bike and understand the whys of where (how they teach) you ride you realize that it's all just guidelines meant to keep you safe and then you realize it is a skill that needs to be worked at all the time... The two biggest things I remember from my course are "Ride like you are part of traffic" In other words don't be timid if there isn't a reason, take your spot so you are seen (using signals and all helps drivers realize you belong). The other thing is "Cars always have the right of weight", meaning you do have to watch for them because if driving down there is anything like here there are yahoos everywhere just not paying attention and you don't want to find yourself in a situation that could end badly. It's a balancing act, but if you take that to your 4 wheeled vehicle then you will become an even better driver.

Stay safe and keep the rubber side down...:D

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

FazerWest

Good job I assume that wind was buffeting from your right, so you did the right thing staying a little more center lane to allow for the movement of the bike. Once you get comfortable on the bike and understand the whys of where (how they teach) you ride you realize that it's all just guidelines meant to keep you safe and then you realize it is a skill that needs to be worked at all the time... The two biggest things I remember from my course are "Ride like you are part of traffic" In other words don't be timid if there isn't a reason, take your spot so you are seen (using signals and all helps drivers realize you belong). The other thing is "Cars always have the right of weight", meaning you do have to watch for them because if driving down there is anything like here there are yahoos everywhere just not paying attention and you don't want to find yourself in a situation that could end badly. It's a balancing act, but if you take that to your 4 wheeled vehicle then you will become an even better driver.

Stay safe and keep the rubber side down...:D
You are right!!! I stayed near the center so I had movement space and didnt get blown out of my lane lol, was scary but I really needed to face the wind cause vegas is windy about 60% of the time. I try to never stay in blind spots, or ride in the right side of the lane (people will then cut your lane) and try to OWN my space lol, vegas has really bad drivers so I always have the mindset "everyone wants to kill me" and I try my best to just deal with it any way i can

Rawknrohl

All the movements from wind and pulls from cracks in the road that freak you out now soon you won't even notice. Congrats!, highways are an important step and can be a dangerous place for those of us who substitute clothing for doors and safety glass. Keep riding! :wreck:

DragonBlu

Looked like you did a really good job to me,especially in the wind. A couple tips to remember; on freeways don't get hypnotized,in other words be aware of where the cars are around you at all times.Go with the flow,I know you are just starting out and this will come with more experience. I really couldn't tell how far you were away from the back of cars at the stops,but remember to leave yourself a cushion. Well done for a first time,Ride safe and enjoy!

Faddy

I remember riding on the highway on my Ninja 250. It was very scary because the wind will definitely knock you around. Once you get comfortable with the wind, it's really nothing. I zip on the freeway on my 6r like nothing now..lol

RooKie

Nicely done! To be honest I think that riding in the hwy is safer than on street roads since 90% of the time you're moving at a constant speed with the flow of traffic instead of having to merge into moving traffic, turns, avoiding pedestrians, u-turns... blah, blah, blah.

One thing I do recommend is that once you gain a bit more confidence in your hwy riding, you should match the speed of the hwy traffic ASAP as you're riding on the on-ramp. This makes it easier to merge instead of having to twist the throttle to catch up last second when you have inconsiderate drivers that will not slow down and make way for you.

Keep up the good work and ride safely! :thumbup: