Took a new rider under my wing....

nice story spoolin... sorry to hear ur neighbor had to learn the hard way tho. :( i guess he's not mature enough to take good advice when it's given... truth be told, some newbies hop on a CBR600, pick it right up, and never fall. but, some eat it the same day. it's really up to each person to know and be honest with themselves about their own abilities and limitations. otherwise, they are just deluding themselves...

not sure about other states, but in So Cali the MSF course is designed to teach completely new riders how to safely get started on riding a motorcycle safely. the only real prerequisites are (a) knowing how to balance/ ride a bicycle and (b) have a class c dmv license (auto). and, in both the classroom and on the riding course, all the instructors treat everyone like it's our first time touching a bike. and, after 3 days of consecutive riding, everyone finishes the class and passes the test- unless they are really having difficulties- upon which the instructors make the evaluation to fail them and have them repeat the course.

Last edited:
I'm wondering did he go on that rideout with you dressed on jeans and tennis shoes again??

Imo if a person is incapable of performing relatively basic slow control, they're not ready for the road.

In the uk we have CBT "how to do figure of 8s" and "how not to die"...not a test just training. Which sounds like your MSF.

Then that's a learners permit, bikes of 125cc or less, no pillions, no motorways (highways), big assed L plates front and rear, expires every two years.

Then you have module 1... Off road, emergency avoidance, emergency brake, slalom, u turn etc. You have to pass this to carry on to...

Module 2, 30 to 40 minute assessed road ride followed by an examiner, taking in all roads from 20mph urban rat runs to 60mph dual carriageways.

Then depending on the bike you sat your modules on and your age, you're either limited to 33bhp for two years, or have an unlimited licence.

May not teach you to ride, but it's a damn sight safer than just playing with cagers. Hell the guy didn't even know how to change gear before you taught him... His first ride would have been rev it like crazy, stamp on gear lever, wheelie across car park and fall on his ass.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

haha, I myself honestly don't think the course should be taken without some actual road experience. Everybody in my class that said they had never touched a bike, wrecked in the course. Not in the normal riding parts like you would do on the road, but in the figure 8 and the harder practices that actually take some experience to do well.

well, for people with no experience it is probably better to drop a trainer bike and get some professional coaching on how to fix the error then to try to learn on their own. Some people can handle learning on their own, some can't. The trick is determining who can and can't. The MSF Basic RiderCourse is designed to teach a rider HOW to practice, not to make them a proficient motorcyclist is a couple of days.

Last edited:

Back