To the not-so-young riders

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Mtn Rider

Well I'm 59 and intend to ride as long as I feel my riding skills hold out. I started riding when I was 14 so I'm as comfortble riding as driving. I don't drag my knees but I'm not shy about leaning a bike over in a corner. I ride about 5,000 miles a year (+/-).

Of all the bikes I've owned and ridden over the years the FZ6R is, on balance, one of best in terms of the whole package (power, handling, stopping, ergonomics, etc). I ride mine stock and find it perfect. I appreciate that it's easy to maintain and you can't beat the price.

If you enjoy riding I would say go for it while you still can. My take on the whole age thing is that you don't want to be sitting around when your 70 years old wishing you had.

BTW, my other bike is a BMW touring bike. It's a real road tractor and does what it does very well but the FZ6R is what I ride when I ride for the sheer fun of it. Lots of good bikes out there but you can't go wrong with the FZ6R IMO.

Good luck and ride safe

Detrich

If it weighed 50 lbs less, I think the 6R might be the best starter bike on the market... I'm an old geezer too. But, I do love the exhilarating feeling of the R6. I don't ride as fast or lean as much as most sport bike riders. But, I still appreciate what super sports offer. :)

Skidro

I turned 51 this month & have ridden motorcycles all my life. I'm 5' 9" and weigh 180 and have always been in good physical shape, with that said.

My Fz6r will be 25 months old in two weeks & I'm a couple hundred miles away from having 25,000 miles on her. I do ride more than most, and that riding includes many 300+ mile riding days. I plan to ride the FZ6R until I retire and then i will get a touring bike.

S

SkyOrDie

I'm glad to see my fellow geezers out playing! I've been riding the streets for over 40 years now and had a cruiser before the 6R. Three years ago I got my first dirt bike, a DRZ400S dual sport, to do hang gliding retrieves. I got used to the nimbleness and (after modding) power. Every time I got on the cruiser, it felt like I was trying to wrestle a wallowing cow. I hated it. Booted the cruiser to the curb, shopped around and ended up with an FZ6R.

The 6R has a great bang to buck ratio and is known to be reliable with minimal maintenance. At 5'10" and 195 lbs, the ergos fit me well. I haven't gone on a long trip, but I've done up to 3 hour rides with minimal discomfort. The easy and predictable handling should be confidence-inspiring for a newer rider. The more linear power will help keep you out of trouble. Power is good and mods are available to make it better. I'm very happy with my choice.

-Stan

bobski

I am 68 years young!! I luckily can afford any bike I find interesting. In the last 4 years I have tried 9 different models. The lone bike in the garage is the FZ6R.

Being 5'8" it fits perfect. The lightweight nature makes for very easy handling. Spencer redid the seat so I can do 300 a day with no discomfort.

Very important is the dependability. With routine service it is bulletproof. Don't get me started on BMW or Ducati!!

If you can find a great bike that is near $5000 that talks to you--Buy that damn thing. You will never regret the purchase.
+1 to everything said here . . and I'm 65. Just do the mods that Marthy mentioned earlier and you'll have a bike you'll be happy with for a wide range of riding applications. Only if you're 33" inseam or longer should you start to feel cramped (probably, don't really know as I'm only 30").