Tire Hugger idea

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Not sure any of you guys are still following this thread, but after a long delay due to a multi-bone breaking losing stand-off with a dude in his left-turning Benz, I was able to get back to work on my fiberglass version of the floating fender concept. Here are some pics of the unpainted pieces (solo-seat tail included) bolted to my SV. Just have to add that in spite of the fact that this project was infinitely less complex than my first fiberglass project ('07 R1), I made more mistakes on this sophomore project than I could have ever imagined. It was literally a two-steps-forward one-step-back sort of affair. I blame it on the constant distraction of constant pain, but excuses are excuses, right? And, no, that warpy fender shape was no intensional -- plenty of clearance though. Tried sitting on the bike, but can't get my slowly mending left leg up on the peg yet.

Oh, and that blue on the new integrated tail light is paint (primer, actually) masking tape.
Looking good , nice job so far .
Can't wait to see it finished and painted . :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
BrueThru: If you cycle back some pages I explain in detail the elements of the wreck -- in fact, I think I added a few pics taken by a witness at the scene. Either too lazy or I've looked at them enough, but I haven't checked to see that I did, in fact, post crash pics. Think they're there though.

Nastybutler: Here in Los Angeles, we don't have to wait until Spring to ride -- I just need to wait I heal more; I haven't been on a (moving) bike since that fateful day back in June. As far as the vibration goes, obviously I can't test it yet because there's more mechanicals to do to the bike before me or anyone can operate it. However, I reinforced the bend where the vertical melds into the fender and it is really rigid now. Still, it's possible that the connecting points of the piece (where the chain guard mounts to the swingarm) might fail with severe vibration. I've reinforced those two holes with embedded metal washers, but still, who knows until I test it at speed?

By the way, a friend of mine up in NoCal told me he's not happy with his new Triumph "Storm" cruiser and asked me if I know anything about this bike from Yamaha called an FZ6R. Naturally I directed him to this forum. Small world.

Good for Now

Okay, well, because I couldn't figure out what color I wanted to paint the tail piece (and due to my near-total lack of desire to remove and paint the fuel tank), for now, I've just painted the solo seat tail and floating fender in a basic Satin Black. The thing I still have to figure out is a new slip-on, as this monstrosity is just too big for the considerably shortened rear end. Probably just end up chopping off a third of this one.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Dude where have you been? Recovered yet?

I see you finished it. Nice. :thumbup:

Any vibrating or aero problems?
Thanks, Brue, and yes, from what my riding friends have told me, the oscillation on this thing is very obvious, so when I removed it to paint it, I laid another reinforcing double strip of fiberglass cloth along the chain guard spine. That has helped considerably, but I still expect for this thing to one day get loose at the mounting points and just rip right off the bike. Maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised. The obvious thing I should have done when I designed it was incorporate a standard rear hugger into it -- that way there would have been two more mounting points that would have provided a stronger base and likely drastically reduced any wobbling. Still, as it is, it works because I've ridden the bike through wet surfaces and my back has remained dry.

Ten months after the crash, I'm still not even close to a full recovery -- every bone that broke or joint that was dislocated still hurts and I can't walk too far without a cane. I think this is probably something I'm just going to have to learn to live with.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

RooKie

Well hang in there and if nothing else keep designing.

I'm still in love with the R1 btw. It was a great piece of work. :thumbup:

(for those who haven't seen it)

That's bad a$$!

Y

yellowfz

Looks good SinSL, I would have expected the osculation, great concept. I have contacted a company about making the one I designed, either selling the idea to or producing.

Hope you get back to normal soon.

...I have contacted a company about making the one I designed, either selling the idea to or producing.
If you're going to license your fender to anyone (or sell it on your own), at the very least, you really need to think about a Provisional Patent; otherwise, you're left with no protection from the corporate thieves out there. And stealing some guy's unprotected idea is a matter of course for established, even supposedly reputable, businesses out there. I know; I had a full utility patent on something and a former investor ripped me off and made a ton of money. I sued very early on, but because I had to do it on a contingency (lawsuits are extremely expensive), we had to settle in arbitration, and I got screwed again.

Y

yellowfz

Almost ready to unveil the new design, making a pattern for casting out of aluminum. Excited about the casting.
After running this for a year and no problems, everything worked as it should, confident about the design lasting for a long time worry free. :D

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Redirecting My Creative Energies

Almost ready to unveil the new design... :D
Bravo, Yel, bravo. That's dedication. And awesome that you're turning a passion into a marketable product. As for me, I've long since sold my SV and my little hugger that went with it. If nothing else, I'm convinced I got the high-side price I was asking because of that hugger. Practically stole a cherry 06 FZ1 with a thousand miles on it from a guy moving to Hawaii the next week. Instead of immediately tearing it apart and turning it into something else, I decided to redirect my energies into a potential money-making motorcycle project. This one is a bit weird and definitely falls under the novelty product category right along with those ridiculously unnecessary mohawks that got big for a minute. I call them Aces M.A.D. (Mayhem Averted Decals). They're a riff on the World War I and WW2 aces who painted silhouettes of their "kills" on the sides of their planes. Then, later, college football teams adopted the concept with their helmet award stickers. My admittedly odd take on it is this: every time you effectively evade a moving object hellbent on causing great bodily harm or death, you get a sticker. And each of the eight stickers represent a specific threat. They're obviously not for everyone, but if those stupid mohawks can turn a profit, who knows? Getting it all together now and hope to have these out there in a couple of months to see what happens.

Y

yellowfz

Good idea, man my helmet would be full of those things. :)
Great to hear you doing well SinSL.

Here is the beginning of the part for the mold, going to try sand casting the part.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

danieljardim

Okay, well, because I couldn't figure out what color I wanted to paint the tail piece (and due to my near-total lack of desire to remove and paint the fuel tank), for now, I've just painted the solo seat tail and floating fender in a basic Satin Black. The thing I still have to figure out is a new slip-on, as this monstrosity is just too big for the considerably shortened rear end. Probably just end up chopping off a third of this one.

Incredible piece of art. Congratulations. This type of designed is the reason i bought this

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member