Tinted/Smoked Screens Legal (VA)?

lwclancers

Last year when I got my inspection, I randomly asked the dealer about some add ons, like flush signals and a tinted or smoked windscreen. This guy was pretty picky...he was investigating my signals for a good 5 mins, and asked me 3 times if they were aftermarket or not. I told him 3 times they were stock (they are) and he still wasn't so sure because they weren't marked as being DOT approved (no lie). Anyway, I already knew it was possible to get pinged for that, so Im shying away from signals for now, but...

He also said any tinted or smoked windscreen was illegal in VA, and would not pass inspection. Is that true? I can't find a specific answer to this online. And the VA DMV website isn't exactly clear at all.

I find this hard to believe since I see them everywhere...and they were selling them on some bikes in their shop :rolleyes:. So now, I just want to know where online I can flat out see this, and reference it at inspection if necessary.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

I was hoping Dart would chime in too ;) Its amazing how hard it is to find some very straightforward information. Reading the VA DMV inspection code is mind boggling.

Part of my angst is because I have a $260 promo credit at motorcyclegear.com burning a whole in my pocket ;)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

I hear you. Every time I want to pull the trigger on a FE or flush signals, I pause...I would get the cranky picky inspection guy as well.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

dste0395

Turn signals not required in VA

Your flush mounts are fine. In VA you don't have to have turn signals on your motorcycle, BUT if you do have turn signals on your motorcycle then they have to work.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

I'll put this out there...

All common wealth states have some really stupid laws!

I lived in VA for a while and yeah... I will never go back there again. VA has to be the worst of all the common wealths for all their stupid laws, truly stupid ones to say the least.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

2wheelie

Once I had a cruiser with relativelly low winshield which was below the view level. It was dark at the lower part of it. When it was time for inspection, the woman didn't pass me because of that, even when I told her that I don't look thru it... (stupidity has no limits, yeah). I've never came back for another inspection since, even having different bikes later on.
Few yesr ago, they stopped inspecting bikes in NJ :)

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member