Throttle Control, Thoughts?

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

bmw675

I don't know about you guys but these things just scream dangerous to me. I've done long distance riding without any real issues. If you're keeping your grip nice and relaxed you shouldn't be cramping.

Just my $.02
agree 100%

SpawnXX

Premium Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I have the Throttlemeister ones and they are awesome. You can chop the throttle without any effort and its off. No real danger at all... Obviously you dont use it in town or in the back and forth twisties.. Long straights so you can rest your self. Makes a huge difference. Just looks like a normal bar end. I use mine quite often.

No matter how good you sit on the bike or support your weight off your arms and wrists, after a few hours you need to rest your arm/hand.

Absolutely love em.

raybob

I've done long distance riding without any real issues.
I question your assertion that you've "done long distance riding". I completed 3 Iron Butt Rallies (97, 99, 01), 9,000+ miles in 11 days each, finishing with 2 golds and a silver. I use a throttlemeister.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

bjcat1975

Or you can be like me an accidently make your own. I bought new grips from the dealer. I wanted red and black to match the bike and had a gift card so they were free. I made the mistake of not sliding the throttle grip all the way over by a 1/4". Of course I didn't know this at the time. So I tightened the end caps and was on my merry way. On the long freeway ride to work I sped up and let go of the throttle to shake my hand to get feeling back. To my surprise the throttle stuck; I could easily throttle back though. Once I got to work I backed off the end cap a little and noticed a big difference in throttle control. It snapped back when you let go like it should. I have fixed it since then but for a moment I was like "Cool...built in cruise control"...lol.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

raybob

Nothing anywhere near that long. 1500 miles in 4 days.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
No problem!

Just get tired of hearing the goldwingerdingers and harley-accountants-complete-with-official-motor-company-butchie-boy-concho-chaps talk about long distance in terms of visiting a dairy queen two counties over. :banghead:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BoneJj

I question your assertion that you've "done long distance riding". I completed 3 Iron Butt Rallies (97, 99, 01), 9,000+ miles in 11 days each, finishing with 2 golds and a silver. I use a throttlemeister.
This I can understand. I was talking to one guy the other day while getting coffee at the dunkin donuts and he was like yeah I like to go long distance. So I waited a bit and asked him what his longest ride was. He relied with "oh, a few hundred miles in a day..."

I just thought to myself this guy is so full of crap it's ridiculous.

I've only had this current bike about 9 months or so and I've already had a couple stints where I've gone about 400 in a day and to me that wasn't even that much... My *** was hurting but I still felt I could ride for a while longer.

I wouldn't mind trying to do a couple iron butt deals when I get some time off from school. I'm just not sure what kind of mileage I want to try for for the first one. I'm sure I could nearly a 800 in a day without too much issue. I just might need to rest for a couple hours half way through to let the butt relax, unless I finally get around to cutting up my seat and putting in some different foam.

I really should get on that... thought right now I've just been getting all the other mods out of the way, exhaust, FE, and RAM mount for phone...

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

BoneJj

My issue is my neck gives out before anything else. My normal weekend rides are 160 miles or so usually and my legs tend to get a bit sore but im not exactly just sitting on the bike :D My Dad and i both have really bad necks and last summer we rode from San Diego to Yosemite via Sequoia. Not one issue with the wrists, butt, knees, etc... But 3 cracked discs and one displaced disc tend to make 350 mile rides seem long. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
damn dude, you'll end up with a rod in your neck if you keep going like that....

Bert-Aus

Not sure how I came across this (I may very well be reposting but)

O-Ring Cruise Control

Thought this was an awesome idea, not that I have used it...
but am seriously considering it next long road trip

mazarbar

I just got the vista cruise throttle lock as well, how exactly do I put it on my throttle? I couldn't find any videos to show a simple install process. They all used the one with the extra parts and cost 15$ more or so.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

UselessPickles

If you're feeling confident and can find space on the bike, take it to the extreme with a universal aftermarket automotive cruise control kit: Murphs' CCS100 Cruise Control

I installed one on my FJR. Maintains speed within about 2-3mph of the set speed, even with hills.

Control pad is on the left handlebar, right next to the clutch fluid reservoir, with the usual on, off, set, cancel, accel and decel functions: