Three-finger vs. four-finger clutch pull, N to 1st clunk/jerk = problem or normal?

Pointman1776

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

No way, you should be double clutch shifting all the way up and down:p

Michael Wilson

if you r bike doesnt "creep" while you have the clutch pulled in and you are stopped i wouldnt worry about it. The clutch will always slightly drag enough to make the rear tire spin while its on a stand.

MaximumHP

Most of the bikes I've ridden like to lurch a little when you drop it in first, and go into gear with a good thunk. If it's moving when the clutch is in when in gear, then you might have a problem.

Chucker

It's normal. You notice it more with a cold engine.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

DaIrishman

the thunk

My 2013 bike is a bit of a clunker when going into first. When I first got it, the transition from neutral to first was pretty mellow then after 300 or so miles its was fairly bad then quieted down again at around 800 miles or so when I noticed it wasn't as bad.

On a related note on cold mornings the first shift to 3rd gear never happens on my bike, I have to try to get it to go then retry again, sometimes its the third time that's the charm literally. After that its a pleasure to drive and shifts flawlessly.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dnielson45

Elite Member

FastFreddy

I'm not as dumb as I look.

I thought about this some more, when the dog goes into the side of the gear, that will lock the gear onto the output shaft.
Here's a GIF on the concept, I found on short notice. (except I've noticed the motorbike transmission doesn't have a weak looking red plate thingy, but rather uses the dogs sticking out of the adjacent gear wheel instead,so it is much more robust looking than this gif)
http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

So its the dogs of first gear locking into the output shaft and then stopping both shafts from turning, because then the stopped rear wheel is locking the input and output shafts at that point and the clutch is keeping the engine mechanically separated.

The clutch when pulled in, must have some light engagement (or weak torque) by design so you can get it back into first gear from a stop, so the gear box shafts are turning until you clunk in first gear.

The momentum of the gearbox shafts coming to a sudden stop when the first gear dogs jam in, imparts a clunk.

Last edited:

FastFreddy

Imagine a spinning bowling ball, with the 3 holes at the top , then you lower your 3 fingers down until the 3 fingers slip in the holes. That's what is happening on the side of the first gear cog. Except instead of your fingers getting wrenched sideways, you hear a clunk. errr

Therefore absolutely normal, or as the doctor said when my mum had me tested, abnormal.;)

Last edited: