Thinking about purchasing another bike? POST/ASK/TELL HERE!

Detrich

A co-worker asked me the same question today- ie should he get an R6 vs R1 to compliment his cruiser.

He's been riding a 1600cc cruiser a couple years already and usually does long, all-day rides on not very technical roads. So, if between those 2, I think he might find the power of the R1 easier on the pallet.

Personally, however, I'm not upgrading to an R1 until I'm better on the R6, which may take a while.

BoneJj

Riding the R1 is like riding a furnace ~ it's uncomfortably hot. Unless you have another bike you like to ride when you're sick of being toasted on the R1, I'd give it a pass.
If you are replacing the exhaust it doesn't cook your nuts. The stock exhaust is the problem, get a good 800+ dollar exhaust and you'll cut the heat problems. We have a dude locally that just did his exhaust and he said it was night and day difference in the heat production compared to the stock.

Detrich

how does one decide between a 600cc vs. 1000cc and when the right time is to upgrade?

i was chatting with Mike a while back, and he was telling me what it felt like for him to test ride his boss' R1. and, he said the power was a bit intimidating and scary to him and that he'd rather get a second R6 and convert it to a track bike- rather than add an R1 to the stable...

thoughts, opinions?

BKP

For me, it would be practicality...

I'd look at insurance, gas mileage, maintenance...

Even if I were buying the 2nd bike solely as a track bike, unless I were racing competitively, I'd have a problem justifying a 1 liter over a 600cc supersport... They'll both do mind-bending speeds beyond the capability of most weekend warriors...

RoadTrip

I thought a lot about a liter earlier this Spring, figured I would want a 1000cc by this Fall, but I still find the gixxer600 plenty fast, so I am in no hurry.

But, you are riding an R6 which demands a bit more input to get it going, so maybe you should be looking at a gixxer750 for the next step for more easily obtained grunt.

One thing to note, is when I was shopping the 600, the sales guy said even the 750 could power wheelie from time to time, I have never had the 600 power wheelie - some of the liter bikes power wheelie on every twist. I'm still not sure I want my bike power wheelie-ing, I like to be aggressive with the throttle, and I don't want to have to hold back worrying that the front end is gonna come up - I would even consider moving to the 750 next myself, even though it is only a little bit stronger than my 600. Those liter bikes are no joke from my understanding, they can bite ya real hard if your not careful.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

danieljardim

For me there's no reason to get a supersport. However, we all want something faster one day. As far as I know (and I'm not that smart), with the exception of the FZ8 and possibly the old VFR-800, there aren't many bikes that will give you an upright position with more power other than liter bikes. FZ1, Ninja 1000, etc give you slightly more peak power than a 600cc SS, but loads more torque. I know I should never upgrade because of my skill cause I just don't push myself or my bike that hard. However, blasting off in a straight line will put a smile on your face no matter what you're on.

Also, most upright 1ks are naked or mostly naked. What's with that? Going from naked to FZ6R makes me never want to go back to naked. Take a long trip on the highway on a naked and a full fairing back to back and tell me you don't prefer the fairing.

Of course, I'm the kind of person to also think about how much insurance is, gas costs, and how quickly I'd burn through the tires. I know some SS guys who go through rear tires every 2,000 miles. Can't afford that!
The riding position of my ducati is fantastic. And the power puts a big smile on your face.

JFresh

Has anybody ridden or considered the BMW F800GT? I have a test ride set up for Thursday. I like everything about this bike on paper, hopefully the ride doesn't disappoint. Just wanted to see if anybody else rode this for comparison and might have something they didn't like about it.

jfont

I'm surprised I've never read anything about an FJR anywhere on this forum. Faster than a R1 and R6. This will be the bike I get once I run my 6R till it dies which will be forever. I haven't looked lately so I can't say the specifics but I've pretty much read nothing bad about the FJR. I'm more of a commuter and look to do touring in the future but if it's just raw power the FJR will do this beyond the R1 and R6. No one should be concerned with top speed (other than racers) once you hit 600cc and above. Thats just wreckless. Be more safe and enjoy the torque in a straight line.

0-60 in 2.8s plus the comfort of a sport touring bike is a win in my book.

Motorcycle 0-60 & Quarter Mile Times | Kawasaki, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha 0 to 60 Acceleration Sports Bike Specs & More!

Last edited:

bigddy263

a friend of mine bought one (f800gt) and let me ride it a little. I think that everything on it is just a little better than the 6r. a little smoother, a little more refined. Unfortunately I thought the engine has a little more vibration without much benefit, but the bike i rode wasn't broken in yet so i couldn't take it beyond 5k rpm. The gears are a little taller, especially 1st gear. Overall, Its a really nice machine that leans a little more toward the touring side than the 6r, but after break in you should be able to wring it out for some sporty riding when you want to. Its still top of my wish list!

RoadTrip

I'm surprised I've never read anything about an FJR anywhere on this forum. Faster than a R1 and R6. This will be the bike I get once I run my 6R till it dies which will be forever. I haven't looked lately so I can't say the specifics but I've pretty much read nothing bad about the FJR. I'm more of a commuter and look to do touring in the future but if it's just raw power the FJR will do this beyond the R1 and R6. No one should be concerned with top speed (other than racers) once you hit 600cc and above. Thats just wreckless. Be more safe and enjoy the torque in a straight line.

0-60 in 2.8s plus the comfort of a sport touring bike is a win in my book.

Motorcycle 0-60 & Quarter Mile Times | Kawasaki, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha 0 to 60 Acceleration Sports Bike Specs & More!
yeah, the FJR is a very fast premium bike, but it is heavy, my co-worker has one and he has mentioned its weight more than once, other than that he loves it.

ksanbon

Has anybody ridden or considered the BMW F800GT? I have a test ride set up for Thursday. I like everything about this bike on paper, hopefully the ride doesn't disappoint. Just wanted to see if anybody else rode this for comparison and might have something they didn't like about it.
The only complaint I've heard from friends who own BMW's is the cost for parts & service.

DevlDog

Have any of you guys ever had or ridden a cbr600rr? I am considering one for when I get to the point that I am ready to move up from my 6r to something stronger.

JFresh

a friend of mine bought one (f800gt) and let me ride it a little. I think that everything on it is just a little better than the 6r. a little smoother, a little more refined. Unfortunately I thought the engine has a little more vibration without much benefit, but the bike i rode wasn't broken in yet so i couldn't take it beyond 5k rpm. The gears are a little taller, especially 1st gear. Overall, Its a really nice machine that leans a little more toward the touring side than the 6r, but after break in you should be able to wring it out for some sporty riding when you want to. Its still top of my wish list!
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming I'm going to be riding a demo that fully broken in. I've heard complaints regarding vibrations above 5k, and engine heat. I'll be keeping an eye out for that. I had a Harley before, so I doubt vibes and heat could turn me off. But the 6R has me spoiled right now with smoothness and comfort.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

jfont

yeah, the FJR is a very fast premium bike, but it is heavy, my co-worker has one and he has mentioned its weight more than once, other than that he loves it.
Does he say its capable of being ridden in a more sporty way?

Cerebus

I was very interested in the CBR600RR until I sat on one. I sat on the R6, GSX-R 6/750, ZX6R, Daytona 675R, by far the GSX-R was the most comfortable for me. I can flat foot it in stock height at just 5'3. The CBR feels stiff in the seating position, hard to describe and the seat is not comfortable at all.
How did the 675 feel in comparison to the GSX-R?

DevlDog

I was very interested in the CBR600RR until I sat on one. I sat on the R6, GSX-R 6/750, ZX6R, Daytona 675R, by far the GSX-R was the most comfortable for me. I can flat foot it in stock height at just 5'3. The CBR feels stiff in the seating position, hard to describe and the seat is not comfortable at all.
So the seat itself was stiffer, or just the way you actually sit in it? Also, thanks for the feedback. I've heard for a long time that the GSX-R is far more comfortable than the rest, but I'm not really looking for a Lexus you know? How did the handlebars and pegs sit, did you check?

And does anyone have an R6? Can someone tell me about how those are?