The First Crash is The Hardest

Teh

Dang Teh, my jaw dropped when I watched your vid. Thank God your ok. Not sure what the hell the limo driver was thinking. That crash was no fault of yours that's for sure.
Thank you, Rookasaki. My wife told me she cannot watch the crashing moment following by my groaning in pain. I was not easy for me to review my own video as well.

Teh

Ethically, no, but legally, yes, unfortunately. Although making erratic moves or stopping altogether on a highway/freeway is dangerous and completely asinine, by law a driver is responsible for not colliding with vehicles in front of them, no matter what the reason for the car in front slowing/stopping. When driving, it is your responsibility to be prepared at all times for vehicles in front of you to make unexpected maneuvers, and to follow at a distance to allow you to avoid a collision with a vehicle in front of you. In fact, in Ontario, if you are stopped at a traffic light and you are hit from behind, if you are pushed in to the car in front of you, you are considered at fault for hitting the vehicle in front of you except in the most exceptional cases. For example, if a car smokes you doing 40mph you'll be off the hook, but otherwise the law basically states you were stopped unsafely proximate to the car in front. These laws are designed to make drivers allow more space between vehicles. Most of us follow too closely. I'm guilty of it from time to time, more often in the cage than on the bike.

As I said, this isn't always the most sensible law, but it is the law in most places in North America. If anyone on here is a skier or snowboarder, they'll be familiar with this concept. On the slopes, you are 100% responsible for not hitting anyone downhill of you. No exceptions.

Regardless of the legality, I'm not pointing this out to criticize. A crash is always a bad scene, and I hope you come out of this with minimum disruption to your life, physically and financially. It's clear you were not being dangerous or negligent. I'm just pointing it out for those who might not know. Every jurisdiction is different; it's a good idea to read up on the law before you hit the road.
Thank you very much, jacobdahl, for taking time to explain.

Teh

You've got it. Please keep us updated and best of luck.
Cyberal, I should have said also that I truly appreciate your supporting words you previously said on the other thread.

The day came sooner than I thought. And I am so blessed to survive it. I could have been paralyzed riding a wheel chair for life or worse be confined in bed for life.

As I have said that it was hard for my wife to watch. And she said to me 'why do you keep watching it?'. I did and paused numerous times, looking closely for any light signal from the limo which don't think I saw any, other than the dimly brake lights in the last couple seconds before the impact.

Teh

Now that is intense. sorry you had to go thru that and thanks for sharing
You are welcome and thank you for your respond. I hope some FZ6R riders who have never been down may learn something from the video. So, they can avoid it longer, or better yet never have to be downed.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

rhnatyk

First of all, I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. That was scary.

That said, I was trying to figure out what really happened and why you hit the limo (other than the obvious). I'm wondering if the real cause was target fixation. In viewing the video, there seemed to be ample opportunity to drive around the limo while slowing down avoiding the accident completely.

I'm not criticizing you or your driving skill, just trying to learn from this example and think about what I would have done. With the limited braking grip of a motorcycle, I'm more inclined to find an escape route instead of hoping to get the bike stopped in time.

Hope you heal soon and get back on your bike.

-Richard

jocampo

It's a blessing

The dreadful day finally came because I expected the norm and failed to foresee the unexpected :(
I'm sure most of you are experience rider and may be able to avoid this crash. May be some of you who has not yet been down can learn from my failure. Thanks to all for watching :)

First Crash Is The Hardest - SF Bay Bridge Toll Plaza February 6, 2013 - YouTube
If you are ok and in one piece, crashing it's a blessing :)

You can take that as a lesson and improve your skills (happened to me) The experience can actually save you life if happens again.

And ... if bike is totaled and insurance helps, you can get a new bike or better model, lol ...

BKP

First, glad to see you're OK. Could have been sooooo much worse.

Good on ya, for video taping your rides! Normally, rear end collisions are automatically the rear driver's fault.

*However* under extenuating circumstances, where the front driver's negligence or culpability can be demonstrated (as you can, with footage of illegal HOV access, and/or stopping for no reason after changing into a passing lane - and I didn't see a signal), You have a good shot.

Keep us updated... Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Invader Jim

Glad you were not seriously hurt. Your speedo shows 12 MPH in the frame just before impact. Your cruising speed was 55 - 60. If you had maybe one more car length of space you probably would have avoided the crash by coming to a complete stop.

One one hand you crashed, on the other hand you were braking hard and maintained control while doing it. Had you locked up the brakes you could have lost control at a high speed and been seriously injured. Had you swerved you could have possibly hit a different car. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe you could have avoided it had you been more cautious, left more space, been riding a little slower, or swerved but I think you did well with a bad situation.

jocampo

4 second rule?

Teh,

Saw your video again, and no offense by this comment...

Were you following the 4 to 6 second distance rule? Like I said, I checked the video carefully, it looks like for being in a highway , you were driving too close? I count after the limo passed a fixed pointed, it looks to me you were 2 seconds behind, maybe?

Again, glad you are fine! But I usually leave 4 seconds distance, sometimes 6 when driving in a highway. Or change lanes if car in front of me is driving too slow.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Teh

That SUCKS!!!! Sorry to see that. If you had a couple more seconds you may have been able to avoid him. I keep my distance in those cases, especially when people are driving a bit odd.
Thank you, nismos. I was not tailgating the car but when it slowed down to almost a stop unexpectedly. If I only had a few more seconds.

Teh

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.

To FZ6R riders community,

As they said picture (in this case video) speaks a thousand words.

My intentions of sharing the video were for my friends and family to see exactly how it happened. So that we may learn from it, not meant to finger pointing at anyone. It was not my intention, if any of my analyses imply otherwise.

However, for now I will take the video down until its all settle and clear.

I'd like express my gratitude to everyone here - Thank you very much.

Teh

Spunky99

I'm pretty sure CA doesn't actually have a law that says that crossing a solid white line is illegal. Like the pirate's code - more of a guideline than an actual law. "Mr Roadshow" talked about it here.
It does seem to be a very grey area but my Dad got a ticket for crossing over one while entering a freeway once. Cop said to interpret a solid white line as a curb and not to jump it.

So that is a good point for Teh.....
The Limo driver was cheating the carpool/Express lane? Did he receive a citation?
The fact that he made a complete stop in a lane on the freeway makes him liable for the accident.
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22500-22526

b_who

Glad your ok man, scary to say the least.
how bad is the bike?

keep us posted on the outcome insurance wise, who the law says is at fault, and why!?
that info could serve as a good example.
atleast you got it all on video so there is no he said she said kind of crap going on.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member