Tail of the Dragon - March 2013

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Hurdboy

I ran the Dragon in May of last year. 318 turns. 11 miles. Talk about a good time. It's well worth the trip. Even though I live roughly 5 hrs away.:zombie:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leovito

If you are going to ride the dragon you should look at some other places also. I lived in NC for some years and pretty much hit all the roads in the western part of the state. You can goto the snake which is route 421 runs from shadey valley TN to mountain city TN which is 33 Miles, 489 Curves, 3 Mountains, and 1 Valley. You call also goto the diamond back which is north of marion nc on route 226a. And ill even throw the NC secret route out for you that locals try to hide. which is route 181 north of morganton nc also near marion nc. If you want a good day trip full of twisties you can successfully hit all 3 within one days time. Here are videos of all three rides

the diamond back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCdsSFqgRs

the snake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNkLoDVqbJE

rt 181
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9mcLffj11U

these are just kind of glimpses you can find more of them on youtube

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

jay

I'm just damn happy to be running the Dragon. Afraid that's the best my finances can do. 800 miles of twisties in Europe??!! Yeah, screw you! I will not allow myself to be jealous. I'm going to have an awesome three days!

OK, maybe I'm a just little jealous... :p
You dont need 800 miles when you can ride the Dragon all day long back and forth until your muscles starts to ache :) the other good thing about the Dragon is that there is a great scenic pull off area at the very top.. Thats kinda cherry on the top! and of course the deals gap store serves as a great base with gas, food and all..

I have done it twice each year for the last two years, the first year was when i was still in Maryland so that's about 9 hours to the Dragon.. and i rode there on the 6r.. It is totally worth the ride!

The Dragon really lives up to the hype!!
Been there mostly in April and September.. For accommodations you can look up this place: http://www.vrbo.com/427491 it's called Riders Home and is only about 12 minutes to the Dragon, it can accommodate up to 10 persons for $150.00 a night. It's close to the Cherohala Skyway and local shops too.

I think i am in :)

Last edited:

Funkmaxtor

I was down at Deal's Gap this past summer (June 2012). It is an amazing ride. Some things to keep in mind:

1.) As with any road make sure you ride within your limits and keep a cushion in case a car comes into your lane (it happens, and much faster than you think).

2.) Be prepared for a workout if you want to hold a faster pace.

3.) The Deal's Gap store is a great place to hangout, catch your breathe, stretch and get fuel. However, take note of what time they close. They are the only fuel location for quite a few miles.

4.) Check out the Cherohala Skyway. Around 50 miles of un-intersected road that climbs to over a mile in elevation. Amazing overlooks here so take a camera. On our trip this was by far the best ride we had!

5.) Watch for cops, squids and hogs. We had a guy go down after a wild hog ran into the side of his front wheel. Luckily he was only bruised up (thank god for leathers).

6.) Wear proper gear and inspect your bike before leaving. The road is only 11 miles but you will work hard in and temps can vary pretty widely. It was really hot (100+ most day) when we were there but we still wore leathers and made sure we drank a lot of water to stay hydrated. If you do need parts for a bike go visit: Wheeler's Motorcycle Shop. Wheeler knows his stuff and is a great guy. He diagnosed a guys electrical problem for us and let me fix it. Then he didn't charge us anything! Can't ask for anything better.

7.) Most Important! Have fun! It is a great area and the locals are great people. Be polite and you will understand the meaning of "Southern Hospitality".

By the time I go again I won't be on my FZ6R anymore but I was able to hang with the R1's here. This road is about skill not power.

Idiosynocracy

Man That sounds like a fun ride. The best thing I have out here is Muholland Drive out in LA. I want to take that ride someday...

2wheelie

I officially won't make it for May. Going to Italy again for the Mille Miglia 2013!!! :D

1000 rally from Brescia to Rome then back. 800 miles of it is Dragon grade twisties up and down mountain. Cant wait!!!
Love riding in Europe. It's a biker's paradise in terms of roads, laxed rules, and respect to motorcycles.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

2wheelie

Ah, they have rules? LOL
Correction - no rules for bikes...:D LOL
I remember how easily they pass on the middle solid line between oncoming traffic. And it's considering normal riding. Try it here...

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

2wheelie

During the Mille Miglia, we do the same with cages! Even driving opposite side of the road when everyone is parked at the red light. You should have seen that when we left Rome during rush hour at 8:00am... The funny part is... I fitted right in! :D:D:D
Yep. On the way from Milan to Monza we rode as well on the opposite side to pass heavy traffic, while cops were directing it on an intersection. First we thought they gona bust us, but all bikes were doing it as it was normal... love it!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

I leave about mid-morning. Five and a half hours up, plus traffic, coffee and fuel stops. I've gotta stop in Bryson for beer, since the Gap is in a dry county.
You can buy beer at the store right on The Dragon. They had a small selection when we were there last summer.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member