Synthetic vs. Standard

ME_with_a_B

Where from? I've been so switching from synth to reg., trying to find a good price/availabilty. I did Rep-sol last time (dealer had a %40 off open house).. been doing mobil1 in-between, castrol reg. m/c oil (just been changing it at the 3-4k mark)

oh, pull the battery, lose trip A and trip B...:eek:
Ya, but I didn't pull the battery, so I must have mistakenly reset it when getting gas at some point. Who knows.

I ordered the AMSOIL directly from their website. I *really* wasn't in the mood to shop around for it so ehhhh, I paid $10.55 per quart. I would have ordered an entire case, but $ is a bit slim right now... maybe next time.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

gizmogirl

Ah the great debate haha!

I am ready to change my oil again, and I am stuck between regular or synthetic, and if synthetic should it be the read deal AMSOIL or like Mobile1?

Whats everyone using, and if you made the switch did you notice a difference?
We are using Mobile 1 synthetic (as specified to the following vehicles) in our BMW x3, F350, and both bikes....my FZ6R and hubbys FJR. Love it and have not had any problems. Oil tests have all been good.

CDN6R

yeah... check my posts... I've been spending WAY TOO much getting ready for my 4 day OH trip... then daughter just.... fell and dislocated her arm... and now, that's going to cost a bit... but, that's my daughter, and I ain't going to take a chance with her arm not straightening out 4 life, so.... I'll sacrifice! just thought you had found a "deal" somewhere.
Hey Dart,,, Sorry about your daughter. Is she young,and was she climbing something? (young kids heal easier)

Insure Gal

I believe our owner's manuel states to use only regular oil and not synth.

We (Hubs puts it in the Bandit too... also an inline 4 - loves it! ) use the motorcyle specific oil from Wal-mart.
$4.75 per 1 litre local.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

RoadTrip

wow, this is a really old thread.

my take on it is, if you're gonna keep the bike a long time, then perhaps synthetic is worth it, otherwise I just use dino - I doubt I will have my FZ6R longer than 20K, so I don't think that dino wear would be significant at that point, but who really knows for sure

Roaddawg

wow, this is a really old thread.

my take on it is, if you're gonna keep the bike a long time, then perhaps synthetic is worth it, otherwise I just use dino - I doubt I will have my FZ6R longer than 20K, so I don't think that dino wear would be significant at that point, but who really knows for sure
It's not just about long term wear, but more for smoother shifting and overall running better....while YOU own it.

Dimefan

Ah the great debate haha!

I am ready to change my oil again, and I am stuck between regular or synthetic, and if synthetic should it be the read deal AMSOIL or like Mobile1?

Whats everyone using, and if you made the switch did you notice a difference?
I guess Yamalube is no bueno?