Still here.

Roaddawg

Haven't been too active on the forums in a while, but I'm still here and still have the FZ6R. Just pulled the front tire off to take down and get new rubber put on tomorrow. (Third or fourth set now) After I took the wheel off, I decided to finally paint the silver forks, satin black. Looks way better.

So, last Friday, my brother-in-law and me decided to rent a couple Harley Street Glides and ride down Highway 1 from San Francisco to Monterey and back up. Awesome ride...pics below. Before I bought my FZ6R, I was actually in the market for a cruiser. The same week I was looking at cruisers, I got a new job position in San Francisco. That was going to give me a 102 mile round trip commute, so I ended up getting the 6R, since it was better for commuting and splitting traffic. Just over 2 years of commuting on it and over 28,000 miles later, it was great for the task. Anyways, I still have it but only have a 10 minute commute now and ride it to work a couple times a week.

Back to the Harley rental. My brother has a Street Glide back in Maryland and loves it, so I decided to give it a try. I thought I would fall in love with it, but I actually missed my 6R. The Harley was still a nice bike, with the cruise control, radio, and full fairing, but I wasn't any more comfortable on it then on the 6R. My lower back was killing me after a couple hours and I don't have back issues. My back has never been close to being that sore after riding the same distance/time. Also, because your feet are out in front of you and not underneath you, when you hit a pothole or harsh bump, the shock goes right up your spine. You can't stand up real quick and let the bike absorb the bumps, like you can on the 6R. The ride along the coast/twisties was great and relaxing, but I got a little bored after the first hour or so, because we were just crusing. The 6R is much more entertaining in those curves. Although, the Harley was fun cruising around the city streets and it sounded great. Our trip total was just over 400 miles, 200 down on Friday and 200 up on Saturday.

All in all, it made me appreciate my little 6R for what its good at and I've decided to hang onto it for a while longer. If anything, I would like to get a cruiser AND keep the 6R (gotta figure out how to slide that one past the boss/wife). Cruiser for bopping around town and the 6R for entertaining riding. I've decided to do a few more mods to the 6R, like the Puig touring windshield, different hard bags, and a seat mod to make it a little more touring friendly. The big ass top case I have already it great, but I would like some saddle bags for a little more.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share with my fellow FZ6R lovers that, even after over three years and almost 30k miles, I still love my bike. Are there better ones out there?? Sure there is, but this one does me just fine....and it doesn't kill the bank account like the $25,000 Street Glide would. Plus, I don't have to wear assless chaps....except on the weekends, of course! :D

Pics: 1) Obviously, Golden Gate bridge, 2) Steamers Lane in Santa Cruz,3) Highway 1 just north of Half Moon Bay (Pic from my "office" window :) )

Attachments

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Glad you are.back! We missed ya!!!

Roaddawg

Thanks guys. Just been super busy with new job position, family, to-do's....I'll try to check in more often.