Sprocket Question

happytree

Hi all! First post on the forums here, I have a 2012 FZ6R and I love the bike so much. The previous owner swapped the sprockets and chain on the bike for a -1/+2 configuration for more torque, as I'm not looking to do wheelies with the bike and want the top end back, would you recommend getting the OEM stock sprockets from Yamaha parts warehouse, or are there any aftermarket brands that you guys would recommend? Any help is appreciated :)

jacobg98

For the most part, you can't really go wrong with the OEM sprockets. I bought my bike with the stock sprockets and went +1 on the front sprocket to take some strain off the engine when cruising at higher speeds. I went with Vortex. I've run them on dirt bikes previously and been pleased. 800 miles isn't long enough to really test the longevity of a sprocket, but so far so good.

happytree

For the most part, you can't really go wrong with the OEM sprockets. I bought my bike with the stock sprockets and went +1 on the front sprocket to take some strain off the engine when cruising at higher speeds. I went with Vortex. I've run them on dirt bikes previously and been pleased. 800 miles isn't long enough to really test the longevity of a sprocket, but so far so good.
Would you recommend going +1 on the front? How does that affect top-end?

jacobg98

For the most part, I like it. It's not a very extreme gearing change. It's technically faster than the stock gearing, but for me one of the biggest benefits was that it fixed a factory discrepancy in the speedometer. The speedo said it went 125-130 before I switched, and that's what it does now. That said, my engine speed sits lower at cruising speed, which is really helping my fuel economy.

It does make the low end a little less fun, but if you're not using your bike to stunt it's not a big deal. It still scoots pretty good lol