porky45

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

owldaddy

Is it possible to do this to improve performance in response and acceleration w/o losing top speed? If anyone is more knowledgeable about this and could break it down for me, I'd really appreciate it.
It could be possible to get both, only if the bike won't redline in top gear. If changing the gearing so that you get more acceleration will also let the engine pull redline in top gear you can actually get both. I haven't tried to redline the 6R in top gear yet, but my experience with other bikes has been that they rarely pull redline in top gear. I'm sure someone on the board has tried to see how fast they can make the 6R go, they would know if reline in top gear is possible. As for me, I'm always looking for another gear (one that isn't there) while running at 70 mph, so changing the gearing to improve acceleration would be counter productive for me.

porky45

it's not that difficult to redline in top gear. you'll be going about 135ish with stock gearing and about 120 (corrected speed) with a -1/+2 sprocket swap.

Hethrir

okay, color me confused. so a -1 front sprocket = more snap off the line correct? if i did a -1 what would the sprocket be? a 15? (im not sure whats on our bike, im a technical illiterate.) and if all the above is correct, would i need to jack with the chain?

elishatarvin

i did a -1/+2 sprocket switch using driven sprockets. the stock chain still fits perfectly. definitely more get up and go off the line and as someone stated earlier, top end in 6th gear is about 120

CDN6R

Like some people here on the Forum I went +1 front sprocket (17 teeth). I haven't really noticed any major difference in accleration. I checked my fuel mileage the other day,after riding 225 KMS, and I got 65.5 MPG (Imperial Gallons) The best I got last year was 68 MPG,again Imperial Gallons. I feel that my speedo is now pretty accurate.

Hethrir

yea, got it figured out after digging more. too many mere mentions of sprocket changes, etc, to dig through! regardless I think im gonna do a -1 up front just to see what happens and decide if i want more. Also gonna look at a speedo healer, the state patrol in Colorado is evil so i want to know exactly what speed im going.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

72racer

Elite Member