Should of used loctite

Andezel

So I installed Shogun frame sliders last week, and went cruising around for a couple hours this weekend. When I pulled into the garage I found my right side puck was MIA. Had them hand tight with the wrench, which was not good enough apparently. Oops.

Attachments

Spunky99

So I installed Shogun frame sliders last week, and went cruising around for a couple hours this weekend. When I pulled into the garage I found my right side puck was MIA. Had them hand tight with the wrench, which was not good enough apparently. Oops.
The manual specifies the correct torque for the engine/frame bolt connection. The engine is part of the frame on a FZ6R and the mechanics that do oil changes aren't qualified to install frame sliders as this is above their technical expertise. Check the manual and torque the bolts as specified.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Deanohh

They don't put torque values and locktite notes in the instructions for nothing.

One guy told me " I just do it by hand and I'll probably get lucky"..... I never get lucky, so I always torque-wrench by the book.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MC#4

Well, torque specs have their place, just make extra sure that you have the right spec. I "torqued" the differential cover on my truck a few years ago, but the spec I used was for a steel carrier and the one in the truck was aluminum. needless to say, half the bolts got stripped and I spent a day puttin heli-coils in.

Also, use common sense, if you have a 1/4 inch bolt with a 70ft lb. torque spec, check another reference, misprints happen!

O yeah, and ft.lbs and in.lbs are not the same.

Spunky99

Well, torque specs have their place, just make extra sure that you have the right spec. I "torqued" the differential cover on my truck a few years ago, but the spec I used was for a steel carrier and the one in the truck was aluminum. needless to say, half the bolts got stripped and I spent a day puttin heli-coils in.

Also, use common sense, if you have a 1/4 inch bolt with a 70ft lb. torque spec, check another reference, misprints happen!

you got that right Brother!

Spunky99

you got that right Brother!:wav:

Andezel

They don't put torque values and locktite notes in the instructions for nothing.

One guy told me " I just do it by hand and I'll probably get lucky"..... I never get lucky, so I always torque-wrench by the book.
Yeah in retrospect I should have spent more time looking, but my set didn't come with any instructions and the links on fatbikez weren't working. But I was able to get another one for only $18. This time I'll make sure to get it right.

Deanohh

You also ought to take the engine mount bolts at the other end of the slider brackets and loosen them about 1/2 turn so that they unclamp a little and then retorque them to the proper value which is 40 lbft. You can't test torque on a bolt that is already tight, you have to loosen it a little and re-torque it. It has something to do with friction and breakaway torque and some other things.