Shinko Raven 009's

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

They don't really take longer than normal to warm up but unlike "super sport" or "super soft" tires these "sport touring tires" don't offer a lot of feedback or warning before they will let go in a corner if they are not up to temp. On soft sport tires you can "feel" the tire when it starts to loose grip and it feels like its beginning to slide or push and you can correct it. On these shinkos if they are not up to temp and you push to hard they just let go, no warning, no push just oh shit the rear is out and I'm drifting!!! I've only had this happen a few times and it is my only complaint, and it has only happened during the winter during the 1st 30min of riding, other than that I live these tires
I was just reading the same thing in the motorcycle USA tire shootout. ( no the 009s but the 003 and 005s. I assumed the 009s would share similar characteristics. )

Not so sure I like the sound of that. Id much prefer a little give/warning before just NO traction.

Chevyfazer

I wouldn't let it steer you away from them though, the times it has happened to me it was my fault for pushing way to hard right when getting on the bike

Roaddawg

I'm on my third set of Raven's too. (well, 2 fronts and 3 rears...got a nail in rear #2) Better than the stock tires and can't beat the price! Great commute tire with the dual compound. The only slight negative for me is the front tire has a single groove in the middle. If you get the groove in a crash or freeway groove, it can track a little. Not bad, just have to know it can happen.

Since my commute is only 10 miles now, next time, I might go for a different Shinko model like the 003's or something a little more twisty fun.

Roaddawg

I wouldn't let it steer you away from them though, the times it has happened to me it was my fault for pushing way to hard right when getting on the bike
I've never had mine "drift" out like that...but, then maybe I didn't push it like you did.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Would you say that this is worse than the stock tire? or do they warm up faster? Can you still be more aggressive when cold vs. the stock tire?
I can't really answer that because for one I don't know what the fz6r came with stock, I have a 04 FZ6 which came stock with Bridgestone bt-020's. As far as comparing the shinkos to those bridgestone's, the shinkos re WAY better. They get about double to triple the miles out of them being a dual compound tire and also being a dual compound the handle just as good of not better IMO

SpawnXX

Premium Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Alex6

Turn in is effortless and it honestly feels like the bike is faster, and shifts better, and it also handles so much better. Feels like a whole new bike. Anyone thinking of getting these tires, PLEASE go get'em! You will not regret it.
Maybe it is not the tires, but the rider got better, more experienced? ;)