Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

surfphotochris

Looking at your past bikes it doesn't look like you have ever owned a 4cyl Yamaha from 2000+ or period. Almost every Yamaha 4cyl I've ever been on minus a the R1 ( might have had something to do with the slipper clutch) had the same feel of the tranny. I could feel a difference in the clutches but they all have that "clunk" it's not a sign of cheepness it's how rock solid they are built. Ever drove a big rig? Or a 60-70's muscle car with a 4spd Muncie? Far from being cheep trannys but very "clunky"

I know that's comparing apples to oranges but I'm sure you get the idea. Also the way Yamaha's clutches engage vs the Hondas are night and day difference which effects it greatly. Obviously your not a noob but you bike is new as well, have you ever owned a new bike? It also needs some time to get broke in.

You are correct that this is my first 2000+ yamaha but My brother bought an R6 back in 2004 and at the same time I bought a new GSX-R750. We both broke the bikes in together and even switched back and forth while on rides. He often complained about the Yamaha gear box and he also was not a NOOB. either. I have ridden a ton of Yamahas and this being my first yamaha of my own I am not putting down the bike but rather just comparing it to my past experiences. Having owned and broken in both Honda and Suzuki bikes I have to say I prefer their gear boxes much better. They were solid and di not need the "Clunk" feel to it. I am not giving up on Yamaha just yet and I have found the sweet spot for shifting smoothly but it is a lot more effort compared to past bikes I have owned. Still great bike all-in-all though :)

Lonewolf

I have to agree with most people here the shifting is indeed a bit clunky, especially after taking out the Kawasaki Z750 for a test ride... and it's shifting is butter smooth compared to our bike.

But overall it's not that bad the shifting is just a bit "bony" imho..