Shifting Issues

txjames

Elite Member

ajskillz13

On the upshifting, make sure you are fully releasing the shifter down before you shift again. It will not shift again if you have not let it all the way down. I found that I had this issue with my boots when I first got them. Because they were thicker than tennis shoes, I found myself leaving pressure on the shifter and I had the same shifting problem.

txjames

Elite Member

KeysRider3

Sounds like the clutch needs to be adjusted. Did you have it serviced recently? If so the person performing the service probably mis-adjusted the clutch by looking only at how much free play there was in the cable. Try backing off (turn the wheel toward the front of the bike so that it moves toward the lever) the adjustment screw at the lever. If that doesn't work take a look in your owner's manual for how to adjust the cable between the lever and the clutch housing. I've found that missed shifts caused by footwear tend to occur between 1st and 2nd when you have to pass N. Always good to have a friend who's been there, done that!

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Make sure your clutch lever freeplay is correct. And how many miles on the bike? Things smooth out a bit more after the first oil change.

bm3schmi

ajskillz had it right on. txjames, i sometimes get lazy and when im aggressively shifting i forget to fully release the shifter with my foot before trying to upshift again. because of this the shifter is not engaged and does absolutely nothing. Your clutch is fine, you just need to ram it into your head to always fully depress your foot off the shifter so it can become engaged again. Good luck with your spirited riding lol!:D

Deanohh

Bike should not jump out of any gear by itself. Since it's new, you might have accidently hit the shift lever with your toe while stalling and putting your foot down or something. Take your toe completely off the lever between shifts and give a full firm stroke and it will shift. Its easy to not feel the lever and sometimes I used to not release the lever completely and if you dont let it return completely, it will not pick up the next gear.

If it pops out of any gear by itself after you have done a proper shift, back to the dealer....that's a defect.

A lot of guys will recommend pre-loading the shifter or power shifting without the clutch. I don't see the point unless you are trying to win a race. Its your bike so do what you want but realize that if you do that you are putting extra wear on the shifting mechanism, drum, shifting forks, and gear dogs and over time it will start to pop out of gear by itself and have to be rebuilt.

yfz6r

Soon you will get used to how the bike feels when it shifts. I can always feel it in my foot/leg when it shifts. After any shift, make sure your foot is not putting ANY pressureon the lever. I raise the shift lever on all my bikes so my foot rests comfortably below the lever. Give it a little throttle when shifting up. Not much, just be at or above around 4k rpms when up shifting. Also if you shift into first before coming to a complete stop, it is smoother. Ride as much as you can and you will adapt to the bike

txjames

Elite Member
Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member