Service costs?

david.wilde.16

I recently bought my first bike! A 2009 fz6r with just over 20000 miles. I had it inspected before purchase and found it needs oil changes, chain tightened clutch loosened and to go ahead and replace the spark plugs. The quote was around 300 dollars from the Yamaha dealer. I recently called mountain motor sports and the quoted me $1100. That seems a little ridiculous. About what should I expect for this service?

jasper909

$1100?! Aside from the clutch loosening (because im not sure how to do it), this is all basic DIY stuff. I think the Yamaha $300 quote is dead on.

But honestly, grab the manual, a basic set of tools, oil, fuel filter, 4 spark plugs, and a 6 pack and go at er! :D

Edit: Congratulations on purchasing an awesome machine!!

edit 2: Just googled "clutch loosening". It should be as simple as adjusting the free play in the clutch lever. 5 mins and tool free

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

I try to avoid dealers for anything service, you may get a good experienced mechanic, or you may get a newbie fresh out of school that is getting experience on your bike.

ask around locally, someone has to know a decent motorcycle mechanic. everything you listed is common across bikes and not model specific

NMdesertracer

Mechanics around here get $80-90 a hour. So if the dealers book says it takes two hours for a job and really takes 5 minutes they will still charge you for two hours. I do all the work myself. First time shimming my valves on my 02' CRF 450R took me 4 dang hours :( but after you learn shortcuts I got it down to 45 minutes.

david.wilde.16

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be doing it myself in the future, but since it's a recently bought used bike I wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden problems that I'd miss. After its first service though, its all diy for me. Thanks a lot guys!

latony007

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be doing it myself in the future, but since it's a recently bought used bike I wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden problems that I'd miss. After its first service though, its all diy for me. Thanks a lot guys!
I totally agree with you, just hammer it into them thats why your bringing it in to make sure you are on a safe bike. I am about as un mechanical as they come but i have done the oil and chain cleanings etc. I have yet to try adjusting the chain but im going to. Spark plugs require taking off the tank if i remember correctly and that sounds like a lot of work, plus to many chances to dent or scratch my perfect tank :)

xinu

... clutch loosened and to go ahead a...
The inspection person must have been referring to the clutch cable which is a reasonably simple procedure.

I think your $300 estimate is fair especially if they're replacing the plugs and assuming the material costs are included.