Sena SMH10 Dual help

smackay

I just purchased a SMH10 Dual kit and installed it on my and my wife's helmet. When we try to use the intercom function, there is a pretty annoying background hiss. It increases with volume. It's loud enough to be heard outside the helmet. I thought it may have been the noise cancelling, but it's just as loud sitting in the house as when riding. It only seems to be there when using the intercom as playing music via bluetooth or making a call there is no hiss. Has anyone had this problem? I have contacted Sena and they have had me try a few thing but nothing has worked to this point.

Scott

Motomama

I am sorry you are having this problem with your Sena SMH10. My husband and I have them and so does the rest of our friends that rides with us. As far as I know, non of us have this annoying problem.

As far as my experience with them, they are very customer service oriented company. I am sure they will make it right for you one way or another. Funny how they are a local company in the Bay Area.

Good luck in getting the straighten out so you and your wife can enjoy the system.

Toni

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Steviet

I just purchased a SMH10 Dual kit and installed it on my and my wife's helmet. When we try to use the intercom function, there is a pretty annoying background hiss. It increases with volume. It's loud enough to be heard outside the helmet. I thought it may have been the noise cancelling, but it's just as loud sitting in the house as when riding. It only seems to be there when using the intercom as playing music via bluetooth or making a call there is no hiss. Has anyone had this problem? I have contacted Sena and they have had me try a few thing but nothing has worked to this point.

Scott
I'm sure Sena had you try this, but just in case.... Make sure your microphone is plugged in all the way tight. Sometimes you can plug those in far enough to make contact but not all the way so it works but isn't grounded properly.

BKP

I would also try the old standby, of making sure both units are at the latest firmware level (if not, upgrade them), and then do a reset.

smackay

Thanks for the suggestions.

I purchased it from Revzilla about 20 days ago but haven't contacted them about the problem. I have been in contact with Sena customer support since the 17th of June. They had me do a firmware update on both units. I checked the microphone connection..it doesn't move.

I would love to do an exchange but it looks like they want to check it out. 3-5 days to California, a couple days to diagnose the problem, then 3-5 day back. I really like being linked to my smartphone and hate to be without it for 2+weeks.

If anyone has this system, does yours have a noticeable background noise while using the intercom? Like I said before, it increases with volume. If the headset is loud enough to hear someone talking, it is loud enough to hear the noise.

Scott

Motomama

Scott, I double checked with my husband and my friends and all units are working great.

If you can't get it resolved, let me know. I invited Sena to be one of the vendors at one of my ride event at the motorcycle shop I work for. The rep came out was really nice and helpful. I Can PM you his info. if you needed.

TONI

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

smackay

Ok Thanks...

I have emailed Sena to find out about turn around time, replacement vs repair, ect. I will let you know how it goes and if necessary, I will get the contact info for your rep.

Scott

sdasce

Hi Scott,

I know it's been a couple months, but I just found your thread about the Sena SMH10 hiss problem. I'm wondering what the final outcome was for you.

I just bought a set for my wife and I and right away noticed the same hiss during intercom mode. I work with sound systems and clarity/fidelity is important to me, so I was somewhat disappointed at the really bad 'signal to noise' ratio. It definitely is just during intercom mode, other modes like phone or mp3 are clear.

Some of the other comments in the thread seemed to indicate the problem may be an isolated defect. I had bought mine through Amazon and their replacement policy for defective stuff is good, so I got a second one sent out. Just got it today and this set has the same hiss.

It's beginning to look like a design characteristic, which would be a bummer because otherwise I like the look and feel of the product.

Did you ever get an answer from Sena with any more info?

Thanks,

S. Dasce

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

sdasce

From the original thread it sounded like Scott noticed a hiss problem with his, but other folks said their units worked fine. Seemed to indicate that Scott's was an isolated problem, probably a defective unit that should be replaced.

I have the SMH10D dual set as Scott and noticed a hiss too. Everything is super quiet until you tap the jog dial to connect intercom. As soon as the intercom connects the hiss starts. Now, don't get me wrong, the intercom works. I can hear the other person and they can hear me. It's just that there is an underlying hiss, like radio hiss, which creates a significant 'noise floor' that can be tiring to the ears.

Try it next time you use them. Turn the units on, and before you take off, hit the jog button to connect the intercom. Listen for the hiss to start when it connects. It's not as noticeable at the lowest volume setting, but it becomes more obvious as you turn up the volume.

Apparently some other riders noticed it too and posted to Sena Support:

Remove amplifier hiss please : Sena Technologies Help Desk

Is anyone else experiencing static when using the intercom? If you did were you able to remove it by doing somthing? : Sena Technologies Help Desk

After seeing this thread that Scott started, I thought I may have gotten a defective unit as well and requested a replacement from Amazon. They sent me a completely new set with everything- units, clamp/microphone/speakers- the whole deal. I hooked it up and tested. Same hiss sound on intercom.

That's how I made the jump from isolated issue to design problem. Two brand new units with same behavior, as well as other folks identifying the same behavior.

Now since there appears to be some users with units not exhibiting the problem, it's possible there was just a bad batch of them out there and I happened to get 2 from the same batch. I don't know. I'm just trying to get a feel for how broadly this problem is seen and if anyone found an explanation or solution.

Like I said earlier, I like the units. I'd just like a set with a cleaner intercom if they are to be had.

latony007

may help

I have three helmets all with the integrated blinc Bluetooth which I love. No wires, no hassles all built in and works awesome for music and gps over 70mph. Calls its kind hard after about 50 mph and the intercom between helmets maybe 25 or 30. I just don't think the transmitters in them are that strong I guess. Its way better than not having any communication and trying to yell at stop lights but not as good as id like for the intercom. However since its a great comfy helmet and with the integrated blue tooth was $100 id say it was a good deal.

Having said all that I am curious how fast you can be going on these sena and still be able to talk to another bike.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

smackay

Sorry for not posting an update.

I went back and forth with Sena trying to trouble shoot the problem. Ultimately, they replaced the units. Since I had trouble within 30 days of purchase, they sent a call tag from UPS to send it back. I received the replacement within a week or so.

The original hiss is still there but slightly less (maybe). I agree with Sdasce. I think it is an inherent design flaw. His description is exactly what I was hearing. After getting two units with the same problem, I guess I will have to learn to live with it. I mostly use the headset for taking phone calls via Bluetooth. For phone calls and listening to music via Bluetooth, it is crystal clear with no static at all.

Scott

sdasce

Thanks for the reply Scott. I guess that confirms my suspicions. Between the 2 of us we have gone through 4 dual sets, all with same symptom. It will be interesting if Sena addresses the noise in future versions. Until then, we'll just have to learn live with it as you said.

Thanks again.

btw....my name is Scott too. How strange is that. :)

Scott.

latony007

blinc

Nismos here are some blinc helmets. The reason I went with blinc was because it was used by several helmet brands so your buddy didn't have to have the exact same helmet for you to connect. Seemed like most the other ones that had it built in you had to buy the exact one.

I have this one which I like a lot.
Motorcycle Bluetooth Helmet Shiny Glossy Black Dot Approved V136B iPhone Comp | eBay

I also have this one which I don't like so much, too heavy and the speakers are in the straps and make it not so comfy but is modular.
Hawk H-6607 Glossy Black Dual-Visor Modular Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth - LeatherUp.com

i think this is the nicest one i have. its seems a little large but If anyone has the pearl white you would swear this one is made to match our bike with the little red outlines too. and has the internal visor which I love

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TORC-Helmet-Bluetooth-Straight-Graphic/dp/B00BX7GCOC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1378924658&sr=8-5&keywords=torc+t12+white]TORC T12B Blade Full Faced Helmet with Blinc 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth and Straight Back White Graphic (White, Large) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Don't have this one but almost got it :)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ONeal-Fastrack-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B005H5Z4NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378924907&sr=8-1&keywords=oneil+fastrack]Amazon.com: O'Neal Fastrack II Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth Technology (Flat Black, Medium): Automotive[/ame]