Rolling backwards in first...

Fzara2000

Since I'm still pretty inexperienced, is it bad/hurtful to my tranny to roll backward in first gear on uphills? I should be using my footbrake but instead I'm braking with the front and using the clutch and throttle to get me going when I accelerate.

JSP

Super Moderator
Nothing wrong at all with it. Motorcycle clutches are meant to be feathered. No worries, keep practicing. :thumbup:

NoDoze

Since I'm still pretty inexperienced, is it bad/hurtful to my tranny to roll backward in first gear on uphills? I should be using my footbrake but instead I'm braking with the front and using the clutch and throttle to get me going when I accelerate.
That sounds about right. I think it would only be bad on the clutch if you sat there a loooong time feathering and not going anywhere. :D

Sparkxx1

LOL My friend on his 250 hates hills. For some reason he can't use the foot brake either. It's not that bad, similar to starting a car up a monster hill using the E-brake. I havn't seen hills worthy for that in the US but in Colombia, I've gone through some pretty scary stuff on hills +manual cars+noob.

hold the rear brake, rev to like 3k rpm, feather out the clutch while slowly releasing the brake. That's how I do it, please correct me if I'm wrong!

NoDoze

I still practice on my driveway since I use the rear break method all the time. When I practice I often still kill the engine. lol

Some of the hilly streets in San Francisco are still intimidating to me and I don't even try the front break and feathering technique. Maybe one of these days. :p

CrazyCawi

Yeah, the more you practice you will get better at it and will do it without even needing to think about it. I could never get used to the rear brake method.
but did you? ;)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

iSpoolin

I hold the rear brake, get the gas to 3k RPM, let out the clutch to the friction point, then let off the rear brake and gooooo

No roll back even if I let off the brake though, I've driven manual cars for the last 70000 miles of my driving career so im pretty good with a clutch haha

See red

I live in the flat lands of the mid-west. So my bike doesn't roll back. But I usually use the front brake, then roll the throttle and feather the clutch. Again, I suck, LMAO! god we need to build some hills...............:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

rr_double_rr

1) Hold clutch and front brake.
2) Press foot brake.
3) Release front brake.
4) Bring RPM up to 2k, maybe more depending on hill.
5) Feather clutch until bike starts to pull.
6) Simultaneously and slowly release brake and clutch until engine grabs and starts moving.
7) Give more throttle to keep moving and balance the equation.
8)Smile and ride away.

It takes some practice, but you'll get it. And as far as feathering the clutch at a red light, how would the engine/ tranny know the difference when you are rocking back and forth? The thing to be careful is not to sit there with the clutch only partially held to balance engine pull and tranny friction. That could be bad.

Chucker

I use the front, easing off as the bike starts to pull ahead. I don't see how this is different than using the rear, other than I find it easier and more stable. I've been doing it this way for years and have never heard of using the rear brake until this thread.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I use the front, easing of as the bike starts to pull ahead. I don't see how this is different than using the rear, other than I find it easier and more stable. I've been doing it this way for years and have never heard of using the rear brake until this thread.
Same here! This is the first mention of using the rear brake on hills that I have seen. I would prefer to keep both feet on the ground while on a hill and just use the front brake with feathering the clutch. I've had no trouble with hills, and that's the method I prefer.

rr_double_rr

I've had a couple times where my hand has slipped trying to roll the throttle back and maintain the brake pressure. Having said that, those times were without gloves, but with gloves it just seems too tight.

I've gotten to the point, around here in GA, where I'll sit in neutral with my hand on the front brake, then kick down and start off before the roll even begins. We have some interesting spots here, nothing like San Fran, but hilly nonetheless. I was just trying to give him a checklist to get started and feeling comfy, then as his skill improves, he'll learn his own method better.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member