Riding Pants

What kind of pants do you wear when riding?

• Jeans

Votes: 86 44.6%
  • Jeans / pants with additional armor underneath

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • Leather / Textile pants

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Riding pants that cover your jeans / pants

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • I ride butt naked

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters
I looked down at the ground when I was booting it around a sharp curve getting off the freeway one day, half hanging off my bike, and thought. Man, if bailed for whatever reason right now there probably wouldn't be much left of my knee afterward. Bought a pair of Joe Rocket textile pants with built in armor that day. Only have one body, it's worth the few minutes of hassle getting geared up before I go riding.

To those who wear jeans, I have heard from my fellow paramedics that they are a bitch to pick out of your wounds after an accident. The jeans just kinda melt into your skin. ;)

usualy I go out naked.....naa just kidding. I usualy wear jeans. but I have been thinking of some pants. I cant decide between cargo pants with kevlar woven in or some textle pants.

I wear a pair of kevlar lined leather jeans. They are comfy & offer so much more protection than denim (weather the denims has kevlar or not)
As it's been proven in abrasion tests, Denim lasts around 0.6 of a second!

After riding in full leathers, I don't know how I felt safe riding the canyons as fast as I have in anything less. Even wearing jeans with the full armor I've posted about before doesn't feel as safe as my leathers. Not that I'll never wear jeans and armor again. I don't think I'll be suiting up in leathers for the 4 mile freeway ride to Wednesday bike night and diner. But I will have my armor on under my jeans.

I've been riding in my XTI Text pants for a month or two now and the thought of just wearing jeans while riding to me feels unsafe. Feels like wearing just plain street clothes.

Bohn

Has anyone tried Bohn Bodyguard Adventure Pants - with Tailbone Pad wondering if this would be a good protection to wear with jeans. It is very hot here in texas for leather.

How about we all get matching race suits for our bikes!! Here is what mine would look like... :rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

361y-main.jpg

2PC PUNISHER MOTORCYCLE LEATHER RACE RACING SUIT YELLOW : eBay Motors (item 360231787383 end time Jun-02-10 19:45:02 PDT)

Suit

LOL ....nice

lol... there should be a new thread... "what NOT to wear when riding..."

hahahaha

after seeing the pix on this and the "what not to wear" thread, i ordered a set of knee guards to wear under my kevlar jeans to compliment my racing boots- just for bike meets and neighborhood rides etc. but, i will wear the Fieldsheer suit for everything else... looking like a power ranger beats looking like a squid i guess... lol i still think full leather is safest at all times. but i guess sometimes it's not always practical to wear racing suit- tho i do like the leather pants jon posted. they just don't have my size tho atm... =\

Last edited:
^

i bought the $80 Shift Lowdown kevlar-enforced jeans in dark indigo from compacc.com. They have kevlar lining both under the buttocks and knee areas, and they are a relaxed (medium width) fit. very comfortable, and the sizing chart is accurate as well... i'm a 30" waist, 30" inseam, so i ordered the 30" and they fit perfectly. with my boots on underneath, the jeans go all the way to just above the heel... looks & feels great either walking around or riding. 2009 Shift Mens Lodown Jean Competition Accessories

although these jeans are probably better than just regular ones, i still wanted some more protection... so, i bought 2 things to compliment the jeans. and, my legs feel much more protected now:

1. i bought the $85 Vega racing boots. i cannot emphasize what a great deal these boots are for the price. they fit very comfortably, and the sizing chart is accurate. i wear size 8, ordered 8, and they fit perfectly. these boots look very cool, and they are a combo of hard-plastic & leather to protect your toes, ankle, and shins. Leather Sport Racing Boots Competition Accessories

2. i bought the Alpine Stars $25 knee guards. these are one-size-fits all. i'm 5'6" and prolly considered small/ medium frame, but the guards still work very well after i modified them slightly... the plastic shin guards on these made them too thick to tuck under the boots. so, i simply cut the plastic portion of the shin guards off, but left the attached foam shin pads in place. since the Vega boots already provide very decent shin protection, i slide the shin pads right under the Vega boots and zip them up. I cut the velcro ties off the knee guards as well, and re-sewed them into 2 new locations- 1 right below the knee and 1 right above the knee. once the boots are on tight and the velcro securely fastened, these knee guards are comfortable and they stay in place. i can ride and/or walk around with them- they do not move... and, they are barely if not noticeable at all under the shift jeans as well... i put my high socks on first, then fasten the shin guards, then put on the jeans, and then put on the boots. Alpinestars Mens Reflex Knee Guards Competition Accessories

hope this helps :)

Last edited:

OK, so I've had my Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 Textile Pants for a couple of weeks now.... they are comfortable with a few configurations:
1) With a base layer and no rain liner, very "cool" for summer
2) With a base layer and rain liner, "cool" and "rain gear"
3) With jeans and no rain liner = "warm" for cooler days

DON'T do jeans, base and rain liner if possible, the jeans get soaked with sweat and add about 10 lbs to you weight.

My BIGGEST complaint is a feature I like... the side zippers (you can unzip them and put the pants on/off with shoes on)... do not, under any circumstances, let the fabric under the zipper get caught up in it, once it happens and you fight it until it pops the zipper apart, it will forever have issues not "zipping" in that area... not sure what can be done, or if it's just these pants that do it.
If you are zipping it and it gets a little stuck, stop and flip it out so you can see the underside and get the fabric out gently....

I have the ballistic 5.0's and even though they're an older model I'm agreed with the assessment of the zipper.

I've found it quicker just to whip my boots off and then put on/pull off the trousers. Screwing with the zip involves 5 minutes of dealing with the issue you state.

Biggest regret the 5.0 had no removable liner at all.

They're good for the UK normally but if it's a hot summers day I'm going to be sitting in a massive puddle of sweat.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Back