Replacing stock grips?

Yone

I got my heaters at Cyclegear (Cycle Gear - TRACKSIDE: Grip Heaters,). They work great! So far I have put them on every bike and they have made such a HUGE difference in the mornings.

The switch is just an Lo-Off-Hi switch, but that does give you 2 temperature options.
Very nice! So the stock grips just slide over the heater sheets with relative ease? And the cords don't get caught or jumbled on their way out from underneath the grip?

xplodnstar

I got a PM about this also, so I figured I'd post here too.

For removal and installation of the grips, rubbing alcohol and a long, thin screwdriver worked best. Work the screwdriver in under the grips and pour the alcohol down the shaft of it to get it under the grip. You don't need too much, but you might need to run the screwdriver around the handlebar to distribute the alcohol. Once it's in there, the alcohol make a great lubricant and allows you to twist-pull the grips off, or twist-push back on.

The heaters are fairly straight forward and stick right on the handlebars. The wires should be aligned with the other wires from the existing electrical components keeping in mind the throttle on the right. Put the wires in such a way that there is more slack as you twist the throttle so you don't get tangled up.

All of the wires I ran along the existing wires and zip tied them in a couple locations to keep them together. Just follow with what the bike already has direction and slack wise and you should be fine. I put the switch on my dash, but you can decide where it's best for you to reach and where you like the look.

Whenever I install a new electrical item, I always try to follow the bike's existing wires, including to the battery, because I know that heat won't be an issue since Yamaha already put stuff there. It also keep the slack such that it will not impose on the steering.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are more question, or if I missed something.

JSP

Super Moderator
Think I may be getting those. How warm do they make the grips? My hands are what freeze the worse in the cold, even with snow gloves on... these would be great. Since you have had them on all your bikes, have you ever ran into a problem with them?

Thanks!

xplodnstar

Think I may be getting those. How warm do they make the grips? My hands are what freeze the worse in the cold, even with snow gloves on... these would be great. Since you have had them on all your bikes, have you ever ran into a problem with them?

Thanks!
No problems so far in 4 bikes. The grips can get HOT on the high setting, but opening your hands and letting the air cool them a little fixes that. Thicker gloves make it harder to feel the heat, but overall they keep your hands from freezing off or getting to numb to feel the throttle. And that's all that counts after all. :)

JSP

Super Moderator
No problems so far in 4 bikes. The grips can get HOT on the high setting, but opening your hands and letting the air cool them a little fixes that. Thicker gloves make it harder to feel the heat, but overall they keep your hands from freezing off or getting to numb to feel the throttle. And that's all that counts after all. :)
Thank you much :thumbup:

Yone

I got a PM about this also, so I figured I'd post here too.

For removal and installation of the grips, rubbing alcohol and a long, thin screwdriver worked best. Work the screwdriver in under the grips and pour the alcohol down the shaft of it to get it under the grip. You don't need too much, but you might need to run the screwdriver around the handlebar to distribute the alcohol. Once it's in there, the alcohol make a great lubricant and allows you to twist-pull the grips off, or twist-push back on.

The heaters are fairly straight forward and stick right on the handlebars. The wires should be aligned with the other wires from the existing electrical components keeping in mind the throttle on the right. Put the wires in such a way that there is more slack as you twist the throttle so you don't get tangled up.

All of the wires I ran along the existing wires and zip tied them in a couple locations to keep them together. Just follow with what the bike already has direction and slack wise and you should be fine. I put the switch on my dash, but you can decide where it's best for you to reach and where you like the look.

Whenever I install a new electrical item, I always try to follow the bike's existing wires, including to the battery, because I know that heat won't be an issue since Yamaha already put stuff there. It also keep the slack such that it will not impose on the steering.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are more question, or if I missed something.
I was able to drill a small hole and run the wires through the left handlebar switch box - which turned out fantastic. But I don't see how I could do the same with the throttle side. How did you run the wires on the throttle grip? Outside the box? What about the thin washer...I filed a small hole to run the wires underneath. Would you happen to have any pictures :eek:?

xplodnstar

I was able to drill a small hole and run the wires through the left handlebar switch box - which turned out fantastic. But I don't see how I could do the same with the throttle side. How did you run the wires on the throttle grip? Outside the box? What about the thin washer...I filed a small hole to run the wires underneath. Would you happen to have any pictures :eek:?
Yeah, I just went outside the box.

Can't get you any pics until I get my bike back this weekend.

Yone

Yeah, I just went outside the box.

Can't get you any pics until I get my bike back this weekend.
I think I got it without pics. One last ? though...do you remember where you spliced in to power them? (Assuming you didn't run a lead to the battery)

xplodnstar

I think I got it without pics. One last ? though...do you remember where you spliced in to power them? (Assuming you didn't run a lead to the battery)
I tapped into the horn. The fuse is big enough and it hardly gets use anyway. I even tested it to make sure that I could use it if I needed to while the grips are on high without the fuse popping. It works out great because it limits the wires run.

Tijeras505

Does anyone have any experience with both heated grips and heated gloves? I was wondering what the positives and minuses are of one over the other....

Yone

Thanks to xplodnstar I have the heated handgrips installed - and am pleased thus far! (BTW, I ended up splicing into the front running light cord. I couldn't figure out where the hot horn lead was :Im With Stupid:)