Replacing stock grips?

phocoyote7

I know there are a few that have done this. I was wondering are the stock grips glued on? If so what is the best way to remove them? I don't have an air compressor but even if did, don't understand how you would use it to remove and put on. If anyone can explain or have pics would be great, might be able to get access to friends. Also is there anything special to watch for when removing throttle side grip?

cbzdel

Just cut them off with a razor blade

V

vdbergj1

My experience on my quad.

You almost always have to cut the existing grips off. When you put the new grips on put dish washing liquid on. It slips on and I think when it gets dry inside it almost is like glue. This was what a local shop told me how they do it and it worked for me, it really stick.

jdesiano1

the air compressor comes in handy mostly when putting on the new grips. The mechanic at my local shop showed me how to do it. When you puct the tip of the new one on the bar the air compressor will blow it up like a balloon allowing it to slip on. You do need two people. I do not know if you could remove the old ones the same way as it does have glue on it. Also Ladies the white grips do turn yellowish after a while with dirt, sun , makeup etc...

R

Ryan T

I removed mine by doing the following:

1. Remove bar ends
2. Slide something thin inbetween the grips and the bar to break the glue. It wasn't alot. Make sure you use something that does not scratch the bar. I used a small allen wrench with care and it worked okay.
3. Then I used WD-40 sparingly to lub the old grip
4. Finally a little hard work of twisting and folding back the grips and they came off.

Before you put on the new grips MAKE SURE you CLEAN OFF ALL THE WD-40.

As for glue, I've seen threads on using hair spray, dishwishing liquid, and of course grip glue. No matter what you use, LET IT DRY COMPLETELY. Otherwise they will slide on you.

If you plan on tossing the old grips, then just do what others have done, cut them off.

Hope this helps.

V

vdbergj1

As for glue, I've seen threads on using hair spray, dishwishing liquid, and of course grip glue. No matter what you use, LET IT DRY COMPLETELY. Otherwise they will slide on you.
SORRY, I had a brain fart :spank: The dish washing liquid I used for putting new decals on, it was hairspray, as Ryan said, for the grips.

A

Actionmike

theres a youtube guide to fittign heated grips on a Fazer, first half should help you.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zysIrfK__M]YouTube - How To Fit Heated Grips (Yamaha Fazer FZ6 S2)[/ame]

There u go, and should help u avoid the razor method if u want to keep ur stock grips, for when u come to sell ur bike later.

xplodnstar

+1 on RyanT's how to for removal. WD-40 works great. The little straw helps you get it to the area that's still sticking easily.

I've used Windex for installation of the new grips. It's just slippery enough to get them on, but will evaporate after some time. I've never had a problem with slipping.

W

wildman

SORRY, I had a brain fart :spank: The dish washing liquid I used for putting new decals on, it was hairspray, as Ryan said, for the grips.

Most definatly used Hair Spray. Its the only way to go. Spray the inside of the new grip a lot... Slide it on before it dries. Then you are done. It really doesnt take long to dry.

llervero

Easier, just cut the old ones with a razor blade and use the hair spray to get the new ones one. Tried many methods and this one was the fastest and easier.

B

blchandl2

I use automotive brake cleaner for removal and installation. The handy little hose will fit between the grip and bar. Give it a squirt and wiggle the grip around. While the brake cleaner is wet, it is very slippery.

For install, squirt a little inside the grip and push it on. It dries quickly with no residue, just keep it off the plastic in case it may attack it.

xplodnstar

+1 on RyanT's how to for removal. WD-40 works great. The little straw helps you get it to the area that's still sticking easily.

I've used Windex for installation of the new grips. It's just slippery enough to get them on, but will evaporate after some time. I've never had a problem with slipping.
I was corrected this weekend. I swapped my grips out, but we didn't use WD-40, we used rubbing alcohol for removal AND installation. Shove a small, long screwdriver in there (carefully) and run the alcohol down it, swirl it around and twist off. Took less than 10 minutes.

Yone

I was corrected this weekend. I swapped my grips out, but we didn't use WD-40, we used rubbing alcohol for removal AND installation. Shove a small, long screwdriver in there (carefully) and run the alcohol down it, swirl it around and twist off. Took less than 10 minutes.
Where did you get the heated grips? And I'm not familiar...is there a switch on the grips themselves for temperature control and off/on?

xplodnstar

Where did you get the heated grips? And I'm not familiar...is there a switch on the grips themselves for temperature control and off/on?
I got my heaters at Cyclegear (Cycle Gear - TRACKSIDE: Grip Heaters,). They work great! So far I have put them on every bike and they have made such a HUGE difference in the mornings.

The switch is just an Lo-Off-Hi switch, but that does give you 2 temperature options.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Is this kit for both grips or per grip? I couldn't quite tell from the ad.
It's for the pair ($34.99). Right above "Add to Cart" there is a drop-down menu that says "Select One." If you drop the menu down, you will see that it is for the pair (throttle/clutch). :thumbup:

xplodnstar

Yep for the pair.

Yone

xplodnstar