replacement forks

davet7469

i bent my forks and i am looking to get new ones. i was doing some reading and i saw putting r6 forks on the fz6r, but what if i just bought the inner tube because that is what is bent, do you think that it would fit?

i bent my forks and i am looking to get new ones. i was doing some reading and i saw putting r6 forks on the fz6r, but what if i just bought the inner tube because that is what is bent, do you think that it would fit?
Likely cost you more than used R6 forks... New tubes are like $180...
Go to boats.net or other places, comapare parts. R6 forks bolt on to the FZ6 (mine is not an R), with some minor mods. Skip over to 600riders.com you'll see some info...Its a great upgrade. Best money i ever spent.
2007 FZ6 - FZS6W Yamaha Motorcycle FRONT FORK Diagram and Parts

Anyway, if the forks have the same spacing and wheel, you could be in luck.

davet7469

thanks for the advice, looked into it and its something i want to do, i've been doing everything myself so far, so lets see how it goes ahah, what i ended up doing was sending them out to get it straightened, they weren't badly bent. cost 40-60 $Traxxion Dynamics Motorcycle Suspension Service , havent got them back yet, but should fix my issue, hopefully i can swap the front end this summer. I cant decide if i should just change the springs to racetechs though, heard they were really good, but i shouldnt invest more if i plan on swapping them, or maybe i shouldnt and just change the springs. what are your thoughts?

If the R release is as pathetic in damping control as the older FZ6 (mines an 08), I personally wouldn't spend a dime on them. No one will ever want to buy damaged/straightened forks even with a bike attached.

Upgrade! Its very easy on the FZ6 but i dont know about the 6R....

davet7469

If the R release is as pathetic in damping control as the older FZ6 (mines an 08), I personally wouldn't spend a dime on them. No one will ever want to buy damaged/straightened forks even with a bike attached.

Upgrade! Its very easy on the FZ6 but i dont know about the 6R....
i think it should be alright if i swap out the whole set, but then idk if the breaks would align right. the r6s looks a lot like the fz6r but the r6 looks completely different

Attachments

It gets more complicated with the inverted forks with radial mounted calipers. It can be done, but it now requires fabrication of new triple sets.

Here are the photos. None are great but in our case, we mod the fender by slotting it, add some hangers, the forks drop in and use the 4 pot OEM S2 (07-09 FZ6) brake calipers. Then you use the R6 Axle from the same bike it came from with some spacers custom spacers on the axle to fix the width and it all bolts together.

A thread on the other forum... R6 Forks O! M! G!

03-05R6 06-09R6S look like these:

Stock Triple Clamps (PC black in this case):

Stock FZ6 from an S2 (07-09)

FZ and R6 forks:

davet7469

sweet, and nice headers you got on there, definitely a great project for next summer. how much did it cost you all together?

Last edited:
In early 2012 it was $250 shipped used forks from fleebay, i had oil and seals, add on $80 for the front fender & axle shim kit and thats it.

Forks and kit are the same price today.

Are FZ6R calipers floating or 4 pot? If the rotors, wheel, and calipers are the same pn as fz, you might be set.

Has anyone done this mod? Compare pn's and don't forget the fender!

davet7469

In early 2012 it was $250 shipped used forks from fleebay, i had oil and seals, add on $80 for the front fender & axle shim kit and thats it.

Forks and kit are the same price today.

Are FZ6R calipers floating or 4 pot? If the rotors, wheel, and calipers are the same pn as fz, you might be set.

Has anyone done this mod? Compare pn's and don't forget the fender!
just looking at the pictures of where the bolts are it seems like a different pattern, im not sure what floating or 4 pot means though. i looked at a different post and there was a lot involved because the calipers fender and triple tree length was different. what ended up happening was they had to customize the length of the middle triple tree to get it to be long enough to fit the fz6r, im pretty sure the wheels are the same.

All good ideas must come to an end.... :eek:

Ya, I did my part. The Early R6 forks will fit the bike but not the wheel and caliper. PS - S2 FZ6 calipers fit 02-05 R6 and 07-09 R6S Forks.

Bottom line; your wheel, bearings, and bearing spacer are used often. It could be a tiny tiny change. That said, you could not use the FZ6 adapter kit as I doubt it would work with the axle and bearing not being the used in the FZ6 S1 or S2. This tells me the spacing on your forks is not like FZ6.

Look through here. Basically follow the trail of where used and too many things do not align in your favor.

S2 FZ6 Brake Parts
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XB Yamaha Motorcycle FRONT BRAKE CALIPER Diagram and Parts

S2 FZ6 Brake Rotor:
5VX-2581T-01-00 YAMAHA DISK BRAKE ASSY

S1 FZ6 Brake Rotor:
5VX-2581T-01-00 YAMAHA DISK BRAKE ASSY

S2 FZ6 Brake Left Caliper:
4S8-2580T-00-00 YAMAHA CALIPER ASSY (LEFT)

S1 FZ6 Brake Left Caliper: SAME AS FZ6R BRAKE CALIPER....
5VX-2580T-00-00 YAMAHA CALIPER ASSY (LEFT)

S1 FZ6 AXLE, WHEEL:
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4XV-25181-00-00.html

S1 FZ6, R6, R6S, WHEEL:
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-5SL-25168-00-98.html

S2 FZ6, R6, R6S, WHEEL:
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XB Yamaha Motorcycle FRONT BRAKE CALIPER Diagram and Parts

BAD NEWS: Wheel Bearing Spacer Not USED on your Bike! About 300 other bikes tho!!! 1998-2013!
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4XV-25117-00-00.html

BAD NEWS: Wheel Bearing Not USED on your Bike! About 700000 other bikes tho!!! 1980-2013!
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93306-00420-00.html