Removing the "pops" after installing a new exhaust system

mfischler

Elite Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm....I might have to try this the next time I've got some free time.

cbzdel

Is this what they consider the smog system?? what it does it just dump fresh air into the exhaust system to help clean it up??

arcflash316

so you pretty much removed the hose, placed plastic over the male side and reconnected it back together? thats all??? sounds easy, except for the tank removal... and how much was the silencer from TBR?

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

If it's not too much trouble could you take pics of what you did? I know it's a pain lifting up the gas tank but it would be much appreciated!

stroke

this mod works GREAT my exhaust has no backpops any more... and it is very simple to do the hose is an ease to find.. its actually i think the only one visible coming off the air filter box.. just unclamp, fit the plastic around the opening and reclamp.. BAM your done just like that lol... then start her up and enjoy the fruits of your labor..

cbzdel

would this accomplish anything by doing it to a stock bike? noticable gains or losses?

arcflash316

If it's not too much trouble could you take pics of what you did? I know it's a pain lifting up the gas tank but it would be much appreciated!
I took a few minutes after work to do this mod and let me tell you it is easier than I thought.... . Get a 5mm allen wrench and a 10mm socket and wratchet.... look just below your triple clamps where your handle bar pivots and meets the frame and there are two 5mm bolts, remove them without scratching the tank.
Now remove passenger and main seats(5mm allen) including the plastic piece that allows you to raise or lower the main seat with the 10mm socket.... now remove the bolt that holds the tank down, under the seat(also 5mm) and carefully lift the tank up and wedge a small block of wood between the tank and air box to allow access to the only visible hose located on the air box (on the right side) and loosen the clamp and plug the hole with the plastic as descibed before, Reconnect the hose with the plastic in place and reassemble and like they have said, it works with very minimal popping only on deaccelleration.... so far its the cheapest and easiest mod i've done... and its effective..... give it a try and if you don't like it it easily reversable:D

toekneedee

would this accomplish anything by doing it to a stock bike? noticable gains or losses?
I don't think this would be a good idea on a bike with stock exhaust. The additional air is most likely used to keep the catalyst at proper operating temp.
td

arcflash316

my ride to work this morning was much more enjoyable than I expected because I didn't have to try and control all the popping upon deaccelleration.... think I will leave the plastic in there.....my wife liked the popping because she could hear me slowing down at the stop light near our house....

cbzdel

my wife liked the popping because she could hear me slowing down at the stop light near our house....
OWNED :D

no more late night sneaking out for you

:justkidding:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Congrats! :D Well done!

What you are working on is the AIS or Air Induction System. This takes filtered air from the airbox and injects it into the exhaust and is part of the emmissions system. The popping you hear is the air mixing with the unburnt fuel and igniting when in contact with the hot exhaust. This actually happens with the stock exhaust but due to its design, the stock can mutes and spreads the popping so you do not hear it.

When you replace the exhaust with the TBR, you are removing the CAT and any chance of muting the popping.

By performing the AIS blockoff, you are cutting off the clean oxygen supply to the exhuast thus eliminating the unburnt fuel combustion. The result is no more popping BUT, you're now putting raw unburnt fuel into the air as it exits the exhaust.

All of the FZ1 folks that put a slip-on do the AIS blockoff and there are even a few guys that make kits to COMPLETELY remove the AIS system and block the ports on the engine and exhaust.

What I did on the FZ1 was put an extra hose clamp further down on the tube, then I stuffed a marble into the hose above that clamp which prevents it from going all the way into the tube, topped the tube off (airbox end) with some silicone, then put the hose back on the airbox and clamped it (if you do not, you will have unfiltered air entering your engine.)

Thus, you've all just attended class on the AIS system and defeating it for a purpose! :D

Last edited:

arcflash316

OWNED :D

no more late night sneaking out for you

:justkidding:
trust me I am "P" whipped but that's ok when you have a "HOT" woman:D

arcflash316

who? Me? ya they worked for me.... read the postings above

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Do it!!

I finally got around to doing this mod. I LOVE IT!! :D It completely eliminated the pops, which were super annoying. Like the others said, this is really really easy. I used some heavy plastic gloves and cut a couple fingers off to give me multiple layers. Slipped the fingers over the connector and replaced the hose.

Works like a charm! :thumbup:

ME_with_a_B

Maybe this is a dumb question... but is there any harm to using foreign material (like a plastic baggie, tarp, finger-of-a-glove) to essentially clog the opening of the hose?

Seems like there should be a more "mechanical" way of doing this, then again, perhaps not.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this is a dumb question... but is there any harm to using foreign material (like a plastic baggie, tarp, finger-of-a-glove) to essentially clog the opening of the hose?

Seems like there should be a more "mechanical" way of doing this, then again, perhaps not.
I used some heavy grade plastic material. You just have to make sure that you have a large enough piece that it remains over the nipple of the tube and that the clamp securely fastens it.

If you don't want to go that route, follow the Graves procedure using the blockoff plates.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Here is another quick method: Take a 1/2" SS bolt and cut about 1" of the shank off. Use a Dremel with a cutoff to notch a slot across the top to accept a flathead screwdriver. Coat it with some high-temp silicone and with the hose in-hand, thread this into the tube far enough so that you can clamp it back on to the air box. Top it off with a silicone cap and let it cure overnight.

Why you don't want to cap what is INSIDE the air box? Anything you use has to be guaranteed secure. With negative air flow, if something is put there that isn't 100% secure, it can dislodge and get sucked into one of the velocity stacks, possibly all the way into the cylinder head. Now, you're out of luck until after a serious tear-down to remove it and pray if didn't damage the cylinder walls, piston or valves.