Reflections on today's ride..

Maadi

Or, in other words, my butt hurts!

We decided to go around the Rangeley Lake today, trip found here. We adjusted beginning and end to be at our house, and that made the whole trip about 6 hours with a lunchbreak.
The roads were amazing, rt.17 going up to Rangeley Lake is very enjoyable for a less race track oriented person like me. The curves are enough to make it an effort, but not too much. The weather was perfect, about 65F and sunny. And somehow we timed it perfectly so, that everybody was going the other way :D
So, things I found out during the ride:
- I can stand the stock seat for about one hour before my butt gets too numb to ride comfortably (looking for threads about custom seats ASAP).
- What's up with people nowadays? Nobody waves anymore! Also, it has gotten a lot worse after I started riding the Fz6r. Cruiser riders stare at me while they drive by - not waving! My husband thinks it's because we are ATGATT and have headlight modulators, and therefore are way too uncool...
- The Yamaha bubble windshield is good up to about 55mph. After that it's just a bug killer. Not that it killed enough of them, my helmet was absolutely covered when I got home.
- Not riding on the highway, I got 55 mpg, even with the side cases on. That is what I got on my cruizer, too, but without the zip.. :)
- I really love this bike!!!!

Here's a picture of us near the lake:

Attachments

bleedinblue

Elite Member

redwing-2001

Or, in other words, my butt hurts!

We decided to go around the Rangeley Lake today, trip found here. We adjusted beginning and end to be at our house, and that made the whole trip about 6 hours with a lunchbreak.
The roads were amazing, rt.17 going up to Rangeley Lake is very enjoyable for a less race track oriented person like me. The curves are enough to make it an effort, but not too much. The weather was perfect, about 65F and sunny. And somehow we timed it perfectly so, that everybody was going the other way :D
So, things I found out during the ride:
- I can stand the stock seat for about one hour before my butt gets too numb to ride comfortably (looking for threads about custom seats ASAP).
- What's up with people nowadays? Nobody waves anymore! Also, it has gotten a lot worse after I started riding the Fz6r. Cruiser riders stare at me while they drive by - not waving! My husband thinks it's because we are ATGATT and have headlight modulators, and therefore are way too uncool...
- The Yamaha bubble windshield is good up to about 55mph. After that it's just a bug killer. Not that it killed enough of them, my helmet was absolutely covered when I got home.
- Not riding on the highway, I got 55 mpg, even with the side cases on. That is what I got on my cruizer, too, but without the zip.. :)
- I really love this bike!!!!

Here's a picture of us near the lake:
I hear that a lot about the stock seat. In the beginning I found it a bit unfortable myself. Then I tried adjusting my riding position by leaning forward a bit, taking the weight off my tailbone. Made quite a difference. The faster I go, the more I crouch, also more comfortable - and less bugs on on the helmet :)

- The Yamaha bubble windshield is good up to about 55mph. After that it's just a bug killer.
Nice pic -- sounds like a nice ride!

Just curious on your bubble windshield experience ... where does the wind hit you when you're going about 55-65 mph (and how tall are you)? I'm about 5' 7" and the stock windshield causes the wind to hit me right about at the neck and below. I'm looking to get it at least partway up my helmet and was wondering about the Yamaha bubble.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

Don't completely understand the waving thing...

I ride ATGATT as well, and *everyone* waves... even the cops on bikes... perhaps it's a regional thing. At 65 degrees out, no excuse *not* to ride ATGATT anyway...

I find the stock seat starts to get to me after about 1-1/2 hours... If I take a break, I can do about 2-1/2 hours... but, still not enough time. I have a sheepskin which has a few advantages, but still doesn't cut it for long rides. So, I've ordered one of these:

AIRHAWK SEAT CUSHION SMALL CRUISER CRUISERSMALL

Should be getting it in this week... I'll let you know how it works out...

Maadi

I hear that a lot about the stock seat. In the beginning I found it a bit unfortable myself. Then I tried adjusting my riding position by leaning forward a bit, taking the weight off my tailbone. Made quite a difference. The faster I go, the more I crouch, also more comfortable - and less bugs on on the helmet :)
Yes, that might help... but I wanted to sit upright to be more comfortable :) And I failed to mention that I added 2in. risers on the handlebars just for that.. So leaning won't be the trick for me. I don't know if it's just because I'm female but leaning forward is not comfortable. I sometimes consider wearing bicycling shorts for longer rides :) The spot that hurts is upper inner thigh - pelvic bone.

...Just curious on your bubble windshield experience ... where does the wind hit you when you're going about 55-65 mph (and how tall are you)? I'm about 5' 7" and the stock windshield causes the wind to hit me right about at the neck and below. I'm looking to get it at least partway up my helmet and was wondering about the Yamaha bubble.
I'm 5'7" also. The wind hits me right at my shoulder/head area. As I mentioned above, I have 2" risers on the handlebars, so I am much more upright than you would be without them. Also, my jacket makes a big difference, so I guess I shouldn't diss the bubble too much. If my vents are open (at collarbones and biceps), the turbulence is horrible on the highway.. Maybe Redwing's suggestion would work for you?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

RoadTrip

Looks like a great ride, and sorry you got jackassess that don't wave back, there is so much waving down here in Texas it almost gets dangerous (e.g. waving while mid corner at full lean). Don't second guess yourself on the waving thing, those flashing headlights don't bother me, its simply a personal choice in my view, I think maybe waving is just not a big thing in your area - but it is kinda rude to leave someone hanging when a wave is initiated, keep trying, maybe you will be the trend-setter.

Alex6

Yes, that might help... but I wanted to sit upright to be more comfortable :) And I failed to mention that I added 2in. risers on the handlebars just for that.. So leaning won't be the trick for me. I don't know if it's just because I'm female but leaning forward is not comfortable...
The more upright you sit, the more weight you put on your bottom, the less comfortable is your ride. I think good street ergonomics (not race tuck) is to spread the weight between your feet and the bottom which you can't achieve by sitting straight up.

Superzoom

So, I've ordered one of these:

AIRHAWK SEAT CUSHION SMALL CRUISER CRUISERSMALL

Should be getting it in this week... I'll let you know how it works out...
BKP, I've got the medium and I'm thinking that the cruiser small might not be as comfortable as the medium.

The medium works well mainly because it is wide in the rear (haha) of the cushion, which cups the back and sides of your butt. I doubt the small is wide enough to give this side cupping effect. However, I haven't tried the small, so I wouldn't know for sure.

One additional caveat: my Airhawk puts pressure on my nutsack, which is slightly uncomfortable. It's not enough to make me not use the Airhawk, but it is not ideal. Airhawk just came out with an Airhawk R, which has a middle channel cutout to relieve pressure on the nuts and coccyx, which I wish I would have bought.

Regardless, my Airhawk allowed me to do many 1000 km days on a recent trip, and 1600 km one day. I'm normally in some discomfort on the stock saddle in one hour and in real pain in two hours. With the Airhawk, I don't feel discomfort until about three to five hours, and no significant pain until well after five hours.

Maadi

One thing about me riding this bike is that I have a very bad right knee due to arthritis and therefore can't put any weight on it when it is bent for more than a few seconds. Good for going over bumps, but nothing much else. I didn't think about the whole spreading of weight thing, Alex6, that makes sense.

Hopefully it gets better like Buzzbomb said. I bought the bike 8/18/12 and so far have a little over 1000 miles on it. Although I won't be riding much more this year; I just found out today that my next knee surgery - hopefully the last one - is scheduled for the 17th! Great news, but I won't be doing more riding after that... I will have to be out of work for 4 weeks and after that I'll be on crutches for a while.

Anyway, I think I might have the same thing done to my seat as Nastybutler, that sounds like a great option! That is, eventually, when I will be closer to riding again... :)

About the wave, I am a firm believer in it - I love the feeling of being a part of a special group - the sad thing is everybody used to wave here in Maine, it seems that it's just been these last few years that people have stopped. Maybe I will get it started again! Or maybe I won't care, now when I'm part of the special Fz6r forum group! :D

Thanks all for your great input!

Bert-Aus

Not sure how others do it; but I find if I squeeze the tank with my knees it takes the pressure off my arse and I dont get a sore back or bum on long rides.
This method works my legs muscles more than torso and thus feel more agile for cornering too

kcusscam

You maybe or maynot be interested. I have a corbin seat that I bought in either may or june that I used for my trip around the cabot trail in canada that I am going to put yup for sale when I get to it. I would keep it but I actually upsized my bike to a councours. I have put several five hundred mile days on it and it is much better than stock, no presure. I only mention it because I am in the bangor area.

Jeremy

Deathdiesel

Maadi, check out Spencer's Seat Mod (greatdaytoride.com). He charged me $75, not including shipping, to re-pad my seat with the good Supracor padding. Not as good as a Corbin seat, but at 1/5 the price, I'll take it. Plus it looks stock when he's done and I don't like the look of the Corbin. Much more comfortable now on long trips.
Omg..you guys are killing me. Every time I think I know exactly what mod im going to do/want to do next or soon, a new one pops up. Why cant this hobby be cheaper!