Rear spring preload setting?

Lefty

So what does everyone have their rear spring preload set to?

I'm 6'2, 200lbs and I have it set to 4. I set it to 3 for a couple of days and found it really soft, 4 is OK but alittle stiff on the bumps. I might change it back to 3 sometime soon and try that for a couple of weeks.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

alh081

the bike is preset on 3 when purchased at the dealer. I rode on that for a few weeks. I then switched it to 5 and it feels much better for me. I am 5'9 and 215.

BKP

I'm 5'9", 180lbs., and I have I moved it up to 5... feels better to me on the turns, and I sometimes ride 2-up...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Crpngdth

if you are using this bike as an every day rider for commuting/general travel, youll be happier in the long run if you leave that sucker at 3.

if shes just being brought out to run twisties/bike friendly roads on the weekends, feel free to move it to 4 or 5+.

or since it readily adjustable, 3 for commuting/travel, 4-5 when you know you arent hitting those bumpy road nasties. nothing will blow out suspensions faster than a stiff one riding it on a daily basis.

but then again, i live in PA... The land of the rotten road :)

Last edited:

Chucker

I'm 6'2" and 200LB, and the best thing I ever did was upgrade the fork and shock springs with Race Tech and put in 15W fork oil (stock is 5W). The whole thing cost $300 in parts and $50 to have the dealer swap the spring on the shock, because I couldn't find a spring compressor that would work. I now ride at 4 on the street and 5 on the track, and everything is so much better. I highly recommend it.

Superfly

When you tighten the adjusting collar on a shock or increase the preload length by tightening the adjuster on the fork, you are indeed increasing the initial force exerted by the springs. This decreases sag, making the bike ride higher. It does not, however, increase the spring rate.

Read more: Sport Rider Technicalities-Spring Rate and Preload

Just try to set your sag to around 30mm. Thats really all preload can let you adjust. At 200 lbs I'm guessing you need to use 5 or 6 setting...

Suspension and Springs

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member