Really cheap helmets and other gear

FZ6R-HWD

Check out bike week

While on the subject of helmets. If you are on the way to bike week and need a very inexpensive NOLEN helmet, there is a guy selling 3/4 units for $25.00 and full face for $40.00. The catch, they are small and extra small so if you have a girl or child that needs a good helmet and you need to save some scratch this is the place. My wife got one and they are new and in the box. You can find the booth at destination daytona just to the SW of the Harley entrance in the parking lot. This is the guy that usually sells the Powerlet and Ram mount stuff. Other good deals there too.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ6R-HWD

Ok all you nay sayers.

Just to clarify. The Nolen Brand is widely sold at BMW shops across the country. Does this mean that the brand is the best? Who knows. But I can tell you that the BMW crowd has money to burn on 20K + bikes, spends absurd amounts of money on gear and if you don't already know, BMW clothing is some of the best money can buy. This being the case I would venture to guess that Nolen Helmets are consumed by more then just a few of these well healed clients wanting top of the line stuff.

Also on the note of Money vs. quality on the helmet issue. Having no fewer then six lids myself and many friends willing to pop for very expensive lids, price is not an end all be all tell tale! I have a KBC flip. $350+ and the thing is junk! Falling apart already and the build is not so good. I also have a Scorpion that cost me $250.00 and it is holding up very well. My friends with the expensive lids (500+) will all tell you your paying for a name and a paint job. Excuse me but paint will not mean a damn thing as you skid along the asphalt!

I suppose your not going to really ever know if that helmet you bought is going to turn out to be a life saver. Hopefully you never find out. In the end The $25.00 helmet I got for my wife was better then the off brands I have never heard of for four times the cost being sold there. (At $100 still cheap) I would never suggest that anyone here take a chance on his or her lid. I believe that I made a correct decision by not buying off brands. Remember, there are still some good helmets that do not pass Snell or are never revieved, likely due to cost factors. Do not buy into the Snell hype. And Just because they can bang them from the top in a controlled lab environment does not mean they will be 100% safe on that unpredictable fall you hopefully never encounter. Just my point of view. Be safe out there.

Ed

porky45

My friends with the expensive lids (500+) will all tell you your paying for a name and a paint job. Excuse me but paint will not mean a damn thing as you skid along the asphalt!
While I agree with most or your post, this particular comment noted above stands out.

Wind Noise, Ventilation, Padding and Overall comfort/fit vary incredible amounts (in my opinion of course) between your $200 and $500 helmet. Obviously a paint job will add another $100-$300 to the cost of a helmet, but on a single color helmet there is a difference.

Example : The ventilation/wind noise on your Shoei's and Arai's are much different then your HJC's.

mchury

well i will let all you guys know how it turns out after i get it. I am not getting rid of the one i have now which is a good helmet. i just like the one i just got better lol. i will post after i used it acouple times.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

mchury

Sounds good. Let us know what you think and take a few close-ups.
i will do that as soon as it comes in. should be here in the next few days.