Read my tires

SixRFixR

I'm getting a bit of scalloping behind the leading edge of each sipe as shown in the photo. These are Pilot Road 3's with 3,700 miles on them. The front is similar, but not as pronounced. I'm running the standard 33F/36R pressure. I weigh 205 lbs and have the rear preload at 5. I don't commute on this bike and it's only 15 or 20 minutes to some mountain twisties. I noticed this wear after some spirited riding trying to keep up with a friend on a BMW S1000RR.

Research says the rebound damping is too slow. Ours is not adjustable, so I'd like to know if there are any workarounds such as lower tire pressure, stiffer spring with less preload, Race Tech Gold Valve Kit, something else or is this degree of abnormal wear acceptable?

Attachments

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure

once it starts, no fixing it....

when do you check the tire pressure when hot or cold? supposed to check it cold..
You thinking ,too much pressure or not enough? I'm curious what your thoughts are. And yes, it's a fact that once a tire sets up a wear pattern there is no fixing it.

SixRFixR

The 33F/36R is checked cold. The tires don't get hot and there is no melting from a hot tear, but perhaps you would only see that on a stickier tire under track conditions. The description of a shock rebound tear fits the image.

Pressures are usually reduced for the track, so 36psi sounds like plenty. Is anyone running higher?

rhnatyk

According to the owner's manual, the 33/36 pressures are for loads under 198 lbs. Since you've stated that you weigh 205 lbs, you should be running at 36/42 for normal riding. However, the manual also states that for loads over 198 lbs and "high speed riding" (I assume they mean track use, but who knows) that the 33/36 pressures are recommended.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Cycle Gear has the Shinko 009 Raven on sale, $80 for the front or $185 for a pair and you'll get 10'000 miles out of them.I'm buying a pair this week for sure.It isn't a perfect tire, but you can balance the cons with pros and afford to change them like gloves.
I had that exact same tire set, the rear has 11,000 miles and still tread left, the front developed tread separation and started shacking the bike, scary.
Shinko has a good warranty (any manufacture defect will replace at no cost up to tread life being into wear indicators) and replaced the front tire no questions asked. Funny thing is my wife has a set of Shinko 230's on her ride and the front tire is doing the same thing, seems Shinko has a problem with their front tire compound.
I also bought the HF (Harbor Freight is selling them again, base and motorcycle attachment) tire changer ($74 bucks) and doing mods to make it a better tool, going to do a brief writeup of Mods for it. Made a mount and demount tools similar to the NoMar one for changing the tires with, sweet and easy.

bleedinblue

Elite Member