questions about guns

vengeance44

hey guys im actually in the market to buy a handgun i been looking at a glock 17 you have any advice for me i have already read the doj safety guide and all that just seeing if any experienced shooters got any advice for me fyi i have never gone shooting before and i do live pretty close to a range and thought it would be a great hobby to pick up

Kdubb223

Glock 17 is an excellent handgun. You wont be disappointed if you purchase one. If I had the money I would pick one up to go along with my 1911.

BKP

Most ranges have rentals, which would give you a chance to try a number of different handguns out before buying.

Glock is a great gun, however, their 9mm comes in a few form factors, not just the 17, which is a standard... a large form factor. You might also want to try the 19, which is a compact (not small, like their sub-compact 26, also a 9mm), and is better for concealed carry, if that's the way you're going. I carry a 19 whenever I ride at night.

Finally, anyone can buy a gun. Then they stick it in their closet and don't have a clue about what it means to own it, much less use it. Most ranges either have, or are associated with, courses that teach you how to use it, as well as maintaining it, defensive scenarios, legalities, etc. You shouldn't even dream of owning one, without doing a decent course on using one... immediately after you decide on a model.

And, if you have kids, you buy a lock-box along with the handgun.

Good luck... (although the combination of your screen name, and guns, is a bit incongruous)...

Last edited:

redbird00

My suggestion is go somewhere you can shoot several different models and go with what feels comfortable. Also it depends on what your going to use it for. 9mm is a great starting round, relatively cheap and easy to aquire.

I personally love my s&w m&p 9mm, best shooting pistol I've ever shot. Working on getting the shield version and a .40 version, just takes money lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

vengeance44

my name is my old gamer tag when i used to play css when i was 12 i think i just dont want to remember a new one for forums

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Enjarin

Elite Member

jamesgarfield

I just went through the same question, I was really torn between the springfield xd-40, beretta storm, or the sig sauer sp 2022 .40,

After shooting them all, multiple times, I ended up purchasing the sig pro 2022 .40 (they make a 9mm and .357). I really liked the hammer and the name associated with the gun.

Good luck but I know I made a good decision!

spider2k

Elite Member

RoadTrip

When it comes to firearms, I really prefer to go premium. Their are plenty of less expensive brands, but the expensive ones are typically expensive for a reason.

Consider Sig Sauer, they have so many options on their models concerning SA/DA, grip types, sizes, sites, melt treatments, etc.

I just checked their website, if I were chosing one, I would go with the P220 Carry Elite Dark in .45 ACP. It has everything I would consider great in a firearm: capacity (8), .45ACP, upgraded grips, single stack, adjustable night sites, medium size (I don't like tiny ones, and full size hard to carry), and good resale.

Now the bad part, the cost, gonna be around $1000 for a new one.

You could opt for a used standard version of the P220 for around $500, though, and would be a fine option.

Check out this video, watch the whole thing, he talks about comparison to Glock as well:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V39fBvTQ5E]SIG SAUR P220 ELITE DARK - YouTube[/ame]

buckwild

When it comes to firearms, I really prefer to go premium. Their are plenty of less expensive brands, but the expensive ones are typically expensive for a reason.

Consider Sig Sauer, they have so many options on their models concerning SA/DA, grip types, sizes, sites, melt treatments, etc.

I just checked their website, if I were chosing one, I would go with the P220 Carry Elite Dark in .45 ACP. It has everything I would consider great in a firearm: capacity (8), .45ACP, upgraded grips, single stack, adjustable night sites, medium size (I don't like tiny ones, and full size hard to carry), and good resale.

Now the bad part, the cost, gonna be around $1000 for a new one.

You could opt for a used standard version of the P220 for around $500, though, and would be a fine option.

Check out this video, watch the whole thing, he talks about comparison to Glock as well:

SIG SAUR P220 ELITE DARK - YouTube
I agree, RoadTrip, I'm a Sig guy all day. I have a SP2022 and a P229 to carry.

I also have a Glock 19 and it is a great shooting gun with an easy breakdown.

However I would not have someone who has never picked up a hand gun before buy a Glock. No engaged safely, no de-cocker, no exposed hammer to easily verify the weapon is hot. It’s just not a good starter gun safety wise in my opinion.

I think if you are willing to spend a little more money, an HK USP (which I also have) would be a great choice, fantastic shooting gun, real lever safely, de-cocker lever integrated into the safety, and an exposed hammer and easy to break down.

BUT the USP is also going to cost you around 1000$ brand new.

I don’t personally own a Springfield XD but I do know that a very large amount of XD9’s are bought and loved by first time shooters. But again this firearm has the same line of safety features as a Glock, which I would not, personally, start a first time shooter out with.

roundhouse

agree with the rest. go to a gun range and try several. cant go wrong with a glock, SW m&p, springfield XD (just got one and love it)

D

Deleted member 9794

I vote to take an alternative route and go cheaper (but not cheapest). Buy a Taurus. They come with Lifetime warranties, free 1 year NRA membership, and 2 magazines (you'd be surprised how many $800 guns only come with 1 mag). Quality is top notch and price is reasonable. I bought mine online here, just click the "gun genie" button to the left (but feel free to support your local dealer if you'd like, mine didn't have the model I wanted in stock).

I say go with Taurus because their firearms are ergonomic, SA/DA, high-capacity, and affordable. Don't go buy a Glock for your first pistol, they have no external safeties and leave no room for error, it's like starting off with an overpowered sports car instead of a beater, you're gonna have issues - leave yourself room to grow. If you spend more than $500 for your first gun I think you're overdoing it. You can always sell your gun easily at a pawn shop or even sporting goods stores (i.e. Gander Mountain) and use that money toward the next one.

Also, get the right tool for the job and don't forget you can always modify as you go. If you're getting this for self-defense, don't go buy a ported gun with a trigger job and adjustable sights. If you're looking to get into target shooting you can always add those things one at a time as you go.

Good luck!

BoneJj

sorry but I disagree with the taurus brand, I have seen many people have repeated problems with them. They tend to wear out pretty quick and then parts get loose and after a while longer jams start to pop up. Also seen a number of firing pin fails with their guns as well.

Maybe they have gotten better in the last 5-10 years but I seriously doubt they are worth the money spent on them. I would sooner trust my life to a bat vs one of their guns.

Sage

I have a Beretta PX4 in 45acp and haven't had any problems, and it's a great firearm that also comes in 9mm and .40cal. My dad has a Springfield XDM 9mm and it is quite a nice pistol also. I agree though, if there is a range that rents them out, try out a few that you're eyeballing and see how they feel.

D

Deleted member 9794

sorry but I disagree with the taurus brand, I have seen many people have repeated problems with them. They tend to wear out pretty quick and then parts get loose and after a while longer jams start to pop up. Also seen a number of firing pin fails with their guns as well.

Maybe they have gotten better in the last 5-10 years but I seriously doubt they are worth the money spent on them. I would sooner trust my life to a bat vs one of their guns.
I've had mine since March 2008, PT 24/7 Pro model in .40 caliber w/ 15 rd mags = $376. After 2,000+ rounds - the only issue I ever have is a failure to feed every 200-300 rounds. After cleaning and lubing the magazines the problem goes away. Mostly shoot winchester white box or blazer brass. If you plan on putting 10,000 rounds through it in a year then yea I could see it wearing out....but if you've got that kind of time and money then a Taurus is the wrong tool for you.

Old review of it (actually compared to Glock 19):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qri9yb8Fglw]Taurus PT 24/7 Std: Value Defender, Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

bleedinblue

Elite Member