Question about Grips

dste0395

Apologies in advance but couldn't find a thread to answer my question anywhere. I am changing to Renthal bars and need to know if we have to use the types of grips that slide all the way on the bar with bar ends or can I use closed ended grips, like you find on the Harley Davidson Iron 883 for instance? On the harley you can just remove the cabling from the throttle and break and put them into a new grip. IF you all say you can't use these types of grips with our bike then what is the best NON Threadable bar end to buy. I do have bar end mirrors.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

bmw675

I don't know if there is anything to prohibit the use of those style grips, but I personally wouldn't. You loose all the protection bar ends give you in the event of a tip over.
As far as bar ends, I like my apex ones. They are an aggressive knarling but I personally like them. Lsl slim design ones look nice too. Same mounting principle for both.

dste0395

Any 7/8" diameter grip will work... the stock one kind of.

Sorry, I should have read all the way to the end... LOL

There's a "How too about Renthal bars. Drill 9/16" and TAP M16 x 1.5 I got a cheap tap set from Ebay for a little over $10.00 or so... been a while. Then use your stock bar ends.
I don't want to thread or create threads, aren't there other types of bar ends that you can use that don't require threading? I know there are, but the best brand would be good to know.

bmw675

Sorry. The lsl ones only work on there bars, or so they say.
Here's a link to the others. U can see how they mount. Super simple to remove or change out. Kind of like a drywall anchor.

Apex Bar Ends

dste0395

Any 7/8" diameter grip will work... the stock one kind of.

Sorry, I should have read all the way to the end... LOL

There's a "How too about Renthal bars. Drill 9/16" and TAP M16 x 1.5 I got a cheap tap set from Ebay for a little over $10.00 or so... been a while. Then use your stock bar ends.
Can you point me to a forum that was already created to show how to get the throttle grip off of the handlebar? I have seen a good post about a change to Renthal bars on here, but cannot seem to find it. It doesn't appear that anyone goes into great detail about what our throttle looks like underneath the grip and how to get it off and back on the new bars. Thanks.

Roaddawg

I don't know if there is anything to prohibit the use of those style grips, but I personally wouldn't. You loose all the protection bar ends give you in the event of a tip over.
As far as bar ends, I like my apex ones. They are an aggressive knarling but I personally like them. Lsl slim design ones look nice too. Same mounting principle for both.
Bar ends are more for vibration dampening than protection. Another reason to put them back on.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member