Problem: Brake disc bolts

Frinksbonkers

Ive had my XJ6 just over 1 Year now, and due to living so close to the sea (surrounded by it lol) my bike has developed a few rust spots on certain cheap quality parts on the bike. (namely bolts on the brake discs)

I have bought some titanium bolts to replace the front brake bolts, but have come across a big problem. They are most likely glued in with loctite, and have no strength in the head so the force required to remove the just ruins the head. I have so far only ruined one, so this has caused me to give up on them for now.

Does any one have any ideas on how to remove them? i've tried soaking in wd40, hammer and centrepunch to try to break the loctite seal. the things just don't wanna move!!!

Thanks

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Crpngdth

ive also run into this problem but not because of rust. ive damaged (gouging of the bolt head) 2 bolt heads attempting to remove the calipers and at the risk of having to have my bike towed, parts replaced, or at the very least drilled and rethreaded, ive given up on anything to do with the brakes whatsoever. i am hoping that when it comes time to replace the pads i dont have this problem.

like a dummy i assumed 1 was just stubborn and attempted it on the second bolt only to have the same thing happen. the bolts on certain parts appear to be very soft for some reason and one wouldnt think that to be the case for the 2 main mounting bolts on the bikes brakes.

DragonBlu

Try a penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench or a few other good ones. WD 40 is not the best thing to use to remove rusted bolts. Try a punch and medium size hammer to hit the head of the bolt right in the center three or four times. Then use a six point socket only on the head of bolts. If they are Allen head use the proper metric Allen wrench. Good luck!

DragonBlu

Living by the ocean or living where they salt the road would probably be the common problem here JT. You live in paradise, where it hardly ever rains. :)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Loctite also makes a release agent that can be found at most auto part stores.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Frinksbonkers

Thanks for the advice guys, im gonna give it a shot the next time i have a free few days. Ill let you know how it goes, im gonna try the heating method and see if the come off any easier.

abyss1406

If anything try using a breaker bar in a slow continuos motion much like applying torque. And put a piece of 2 x 4 between the wheel and forks so its stop the wheel from moving as you rotate the bolts

Frinksbonkers

Thanks for all your advice guys, I heated them up and they came straight out. Thanks again!

Frinksbonkers

I thought the same but the sound was there before I changed the bolts, I went searching for the problem. After changing the bolts as I forgot about the sound