prepare to flame me. but...

i want to learn to do wheelies. i watched alot of instructional videos on how to start with roll on power wheelies before attempting to slip the clutch. i can do it on my buddies yzf600r but not on the fz6r, i dont know if im to heavy or the bike is to weak... any suggestions to safely (as possible) bring up the front end and practice without slipping the clutch. dont want to start off with that since apparently its pretty easy to flip the bike over.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
practicing at my works private parking lot, i work at a ford dealership as a mechanic and have a large open area to practice as much as i want thats all fenced in. no problem there. its just a matter of not biting off more than i can chew at once and practice up. honestly any one of that pisses around in the streets is a fool. i dont feel like being road hamburger and other than boots im wearing full riding gear and im workin on boots asap.

Harda toenail

You get a nice c&i ticket here in MO for doing a wheelie. Parking lot or not. Not worth the risk of that or messing up my pretty bike trying to do something the bike wasn't meant to so. But hey if that's what gives you your hard on get to it! Have fun man!

RedDeadRaven

I've also been learning to wheelie, at the very least its a practice in throttle control right? Anyway, I've heard that a power wheelie with stock gearing is difficult to pull off (even on a supersport). I've also read that even when you can pull a power wheelie you basically have to be in first gear and in the power band, which on our bikes means you're probably already gonna be doin 30mph when you hammer the throttle. So 1) you're gonna run out of gear really quickly and 2) if you're willing to risk a crash, don't you wanna do it at as low a speed as you can manage? You can clutch it up at much lower speeds. As for the extra wear and tear on your clutch - if you're willing to risk crashing the bike to wheelie, do you really give a $#!% about the clutch? When you start practicing clutching it up, I suggest you start SLOWLY. It takes a LOT of throttle to do more than simply separate rubber from road - I'm talkin 2/3s to 3/4 throttle and poppin the clutch to bring it up to the balance point (which I haven't found yet.) I'm usually goin about 15-20mph when I give throttle and pop the clutch. And if you're wondering if its possible to inhale a seat through your @$$, just wait 'till you bring the front wheel up to 11 o'clock for the first time. (the answer is no, but I gave it a shot last night. It'll get your heartrate up for a few minutes for sure.) Be careful.

One additional note on power wheelies: I'm about 215lbs and I can hammer it to WOT in ANY gear and the front tire doesn't come up. Period.
(but that's just me 'n mine)

Last edited:
thanks for the tips, did about 3 clutch slips and felt bad for abusing my bike lol so i decided ill wait till i can order some lower gears, i just dont feel right slipping the clutch lol.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CDN6R

Poster says bike is stock::[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADl2hDGN1OE]YouTube - Mikes FZ6R stuntin is a habbit[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
I've heard tell that it's easier on the bike to do the clutch thing for wheelies than to power it up... IDK for sure

he was on the forum for a while... yes, all stock... and lot's of practice... he also wrecked it later.... that's the price you'll have to pay... if you wanna play, you may have to pay...

and ++ to "don't do it on public roads"... find private property to do it on....

honestly... if I were gonna get into the stunting thing, I'd learn on a cheap POS bike... I wouldn't do it on my main ride.... but that's just me.
thats always a fear... lol

CDN6R

Years ago I has a friend who had a GSXR 1100. I had a GSXR 750 and we used to ride together quite a bit. He was forever doing wheelies and made it look so easy. Ofcourse he never used any gear,(why should I, I know what I am doin) and later that summer while doing a wheelie,dumped the bike smashed it all to hell,and scuffed himself up too. So it IS a matter of time when you dump it.

Superfly

Keep your fuel tank low...around a 1/3rd tank should do. Move back in the seat and keep your weight as far back as you can. Pull slightly and from around 5000 RPM in first just wack the throttle...Keep the wheel straight and it should come up pretty nice but like the other posters said you run out of first pretty quick...shadow the rear brake if you want to be correct. Start low and less than full throttle...Good luck and post vids:thumbup:

Keep your fuel tank low...around a 1/3rd tank should do. Move back in the seat and keep your weight as far back as you can. Pull slightly and from around 5000 RPM in first just wack the throttle...Keep the wheel straight and it should come up pretty nice but like the other posters said you run out of first pretty quick...shadow the rear brake if you want to be correct. Start low and less than full throttle...Good luck and post vids:thumbup:
thanks for the tip! im going to give that a try:steve:

XTRAWLD

I don't ever want to do one, even mistakingly.....so it's nice to know it actually takes practice and know how to do one, and not just a mistake. :)

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Funkmaxtor

A couple of things:

1.) Those of you cutting this poor guy down for trying to wheelie should control yourselves a little more! There are plenty of people out there that make good money doing stunt shows. Although they aren't using FZ6R's, everyone starts with something.

2.) If you are going to do wheelies or any stunts for that matter, do it in a parking lot without people in it and while not under the influence of anything!

3.) The FZ6R is not a good stunting machine. It is heavy and a little low on power for stunts.

4.) With that being said it is capable of doing stunts. I have ridden short wheelies with mine and have done a few stoppies (one (unintentional) to avoid hitting a deer) and I finish off every back tire with a nice little burnout right before I take the tire off the bike.

5.) Clutching a wheelie is much more predictable that a power wheelie once you get the feel for it. Things like, the amount gas, body positioning temperature of tire and road all affect the outcome of a wheelie. Oh and not to mention BALANCE!

6.) I just like you started doing power wheelies. When my bike was stock I would pull out like normal bring the tach up to about 6-7K. Quickly close the throttle and snap it open. This will do a few things: shift your weight forward, pre-load the suspension and if not done carefully lock the back tire.
When you snap the throttle back open you need to: shift your weight backward, cover the back brake with the foot (don't use it unless you are about to flip) and BALANCE. You will ride a short wheelie. Start small. Just get used to the feeling of the front tire floating. The biggest mistake people make is they get too confident too quick!

7.) Once you are confident with power wheelies, you should learn how to clutch them. That is a whole other lesson.

8.) Post back about the progress. Good luck and be safe!

Sparkxx1

A couple of things:

1.) Those of you cutting this poor guy down for trying to wheelie should control yourselves a little more! There are plenty of people out there that make good money doing stunt shows. Although they aren't using FZ6R's, everyone starts with something.

2.) If you are going to do wheelies or any stunts for that matter, do it in a parking lot without people in it and while not under the influence of anything!

3.) The FZ6R is not a good stunting machine. It is heavy and a little low on power for stunts.

4.) With that being said it is capable of doing stunts. I have ridden short wheelies with mine and have done a few stoppies (one (unintentional) to avoid hitting a deer) and I finish off every back tire with a nice little burnout right before I take the tire off the bike.

5.) Clutching a wheelie is much more predictable that a power wheelie once you get the feel for it. Things like, the amount gas, body positioning temperature of tire and road all affect the outcome of a wheelie. Oh and not to mention BALANCE!

6.) I just like you started doing power wheelies. When my bike was stock I would pull out like normal bring the tach up to about 6-7K. Quickly close the throttle and snap it open. This will do a few things: shift your weight forward, pre-load the suspension and if not done carefully lock the back tire.
When you snap the throttle back open you need to: shift your weight backward, cover the back brake with the foot (don't use it unless you are about to flip) and BALANCE. You will ride a short wheelie. Start small. Just get used to the feeling of the front tire floating. The biggest mistake people make is they get too confident too quick!

7.) Once you are confident with power wheelies, you should learn how to clutch them. That is a whole other lesson.

8.) Post back about the progress. Good luck and be safe!
This dude has the right idea. If the guy wants to learn a whole other level of control and precision let him. It's not your bike he will do what he wants anyway. Instead of flaming give him some helpful advice or GTFO. If your helpful advice is be careful, don't do it on the open road, stay. If you're going to call him stupid for going about this in a controlled and safe manner, please do the guy a favor and move on to another thread. It isn't polite and it isn't like he is a jackass posting up videos of 100 mph wheelies while drinking a beer.