Police and tailgating

Sascha

Ever notice how our men and women in blue and white seem to have no issue getting very close to our bumpers? Today I was driving in the carpool lane doing 75 in a 65 zone(very typical for San Diego) and a motorcycle cop pulls up behind me lights going. Gets withing 10 feet of me, I slow down to 60 to show I am not running and with my left arm do the whats up shrug. He then motions for me to go to the left of the lane(concrete walls on both sides) and as I do gasses it and flies by me to catch a speeding mini van.

Oh yeah and scared the shit out of me passing me with less than a foot space.

I get that they spend all day riding and driving and may be more comfortable that they are not going to rear end me, I, however don't know the skill of every officer that tailgates me...or what their intentions are.

Any response from our resident police men(and women)???

rhnatyk

When the police come up behind you with their lights flashing, you're supposed to move out of the way, not slow down and give them the "what's up" shrug.

Riccochet

See, now, what you should have done was flipped him the bird, tossed the bag of dope and wrenched on the throttle. The tossing of the dope is that ditch of desperation in hopes that it would distract the po-po long enough to make a great escape.

Sadly, bikes aren't faster than radio. ;)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Sascha

I'd move if there was room

If I thought there was room for him to safely pass me I would of moved over. If was a carpool with cement walls on both sides and windy. So I didn't want him squeezing by. He could of waited 10 seconds until the lane opened up and he'd of had a whole extra lane to pass.

Pinarello Rider

If I thought there was room for him to safely pass me I would of moved over. If was a carpool with cement walls on both sides and windy. So I didn't want him squeezing by. He could of waited 10 seconds until the lane opened up and he'd of had a whole extra lane to pass.
Thanks for the clarification - that actually raises an interesting question. We don't have HOV lanes in Richmond, so I don't use them much. But if you're in a single HOV lane, and driving, and a cop comes up behind with lights flashing, where do you go?

Sascha

tossed the dope early

And the dope was tossed when I first saw him coming way off. Before he was close enough to see:zombie:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

FastFreddy

I'm sure he had no trouble catching back up to the mini-van.

At least he had the presence of mind to wait until you were clear, some would swipe past you at speed even closer than a foot away.