Please explain hanging off while turning

JonKerr

Elite Member

linkgt

EVERYONE PLEASE do yourselves a favor and watch the twist of the wrist movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw

Might as well buy twist of the wrist II book too. It's really cheap used on amazon.

Also, JonKerr, i've always admired how you ride the FZ6r. I wish there were more twisty toads here in Long island. You guys in CA are extremely lucky.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bloodypulp

Nola motor sports park . Track tactics every month during the summer .track days every weekend. Awesome track and support

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

DevlDog

Yep well versed in counter-steering.. or counter-weight.. just need to see if I can get this lean on the open roads then I guess.

I have the Military Sport Rider Course Friday.. maybe they'll give out some pointers as well.
Counter-weight is what you use in a low-speed turn to keep the bike upright.

When you go into a faster turn, which is usually up above 14 or 15 miles an hour, you use counter-steering. Here's a wikipedia link which explains it sorta: Countersteering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was super super nervous about turning at all before I took my MSF course. After I took it, I found my confidence in turning and things like that had increased exponentially. If the course you're about to take soon is like the MSF, it should help you get used to what's going on and build your confidence a great deal.

anticsd

At higher speeds its easier for me to control my bike, but at slow speeds doing that figure 8 always make me cringe...

When in doubt lean the way you want to turn.

DevlDog

At higher speeds its easier for me to control my bike, but at slow speeds doing that figure 8 always make me cringe...

When in doubt lean the way you want to turn.
I feel much the same way. I hate going slow, once I get up around 20+ I'm good. Below that for much longer than 5 minutes and I'm going "Christ can't x go faster already? wtf?".

RoadTrip

At first I rode upright, then started hanging off, then thought it was unnecessary, then I got real small strips, then I started to slip the rear - so, I went back to hanging off, lots more grip and no slip, and it's fun.

Y

yellowfz

Check out the old school bikes, skinny tires and no fairings, look at the lean angle, way further than picture in this post. Is it me or are these guys daredevils? :D http://morethanjustwine.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html
Weight on back tire plants it better, in motocross you slide up on tank to allow rear tire to whip around, street you shift rearward to add weight for traction. :thumbup: :eek:

Cerebus

I'm 20 minutes into TOTW2 and I've already figured out 1/2 of why I laid down my bike. Must finish, and then watch again, etc.

Detrich

As punishment, watch TOTW I from beg to end and no bathroom or water breaks. LOL. xP

Bert-Aus

Excellent examples of hanging off from Phillip Island last weekend

Jorge

Rossi

Detrich

Prolly explains why he's so fast... The speed & centripetal forces keep him from tipping I guess

Bert-Aus

Dont forget the helmet as well,
our heads are generally 1/5th your body mass,
so by tipping your head out towards the bar end
you increase that mass to the inside of the bike too