PCV and the O2 Sensor

joloy133

Hey Fellas: You don't need an O2 sensor for all fuel injection systems. There are closed loop systems designed around a constant O2 value. Ours and some Triumphs are that way.

cbzdel

Hey Fellas: You don't need an O2 sensor for all fuel injection systems. There are closed loop systems designed around a constant O2 value. Ours and some Triumphs are that way.
Thanks for the info! That type of system is new to me!

mfischler

Elite Member

woj

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with PC-V problems! Installed it Friday along with my Two Brothers Exhaust, which I had an 02 bung welded into for the Autotuner, figureing I would just hook it up to the computer Saturday morning and it would be all set, wrong!! After running a little bit I opened up the throttle and when I released it... stall!! Yeah, disconected the PC-V bike runs fine... the AFR1 values for the Autotuner never left 0. Sunday I was at the races at the New Hampshire Speedway and Rob's Dyno was there, he tried flashing the PC-V with the latest firmware but to no avail, still stalls out. Filled out a Tech Support Form on the Power Commander site this morning but haven't heard back from them yet, guess I'll give em' a call in the morning...

joloy133

Fellas: Did the PC-V situation get resolved or are there remaining issues? I'm currently doing the same mod. Thx

mfischler

Elite Member

joloy133

Hey m: thanks for getting back with the info. When I modified my stock exhaust I got a free dyno tune at JT&S Performance at Infineon Raceway here at Sonoma, CA. (J is a retired FF I worked with, and his new business is modifying bikes for speed/performance) Anyway since these bikes run lean at lower RPM's I decided to get a K&N filter and do a complete remapping off a dyno. I should have all the info and mapping values by weekend. Will post then.....

mfischler

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, definitely keep us posted.

mfischler

Elite Member

joloy133

That is good news! My dyno guy had to send the unit back because it wasn't registering correctly. They finally tracked the serial nos. and found out the company sent a unit for a fz6, (No R!). Makes you wonder...........all these other incidences........... but the Co. is sending the right unit out "priority". Which means Tues. next week to me. Thanks again.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome news! Now I just need to save up for one. :eek:

woj

Got the auto tuner to work after calling up Dynojet. Seems that when my buddy and I installed it when neglected to install the CAN termination plug, we had a rubber plug in place of it, oops. Now the auto tuners seems to be doing its job adjusting the fuel, but I still have it stalling out after running it for a little bit, noticed it when I took it out for a test ride today and the thing was stalling out when I let off the throttle during gear changes.. when down shifting very noticable!! Calling em' back on Monday..

woj

After talking with the Tech Support at Dynojet and having them remotely take over my lap top to check things out with the PCV they ended up having me send it in so they can do some more testing on it and see if its a hardware problem, or what.

mfischler

Elite Member

joloy133

After talking with the Tech Support at Dynojet and having them remotely take over my lap top to check things out with the PCV they ended up having me send it in so they can do some more testing on it and see if its a hardware problem, or what.
Hey woj, can you give an update on how the PC V worked out for you? I guess U never gave a follow up. I had to send a unit back and just got it installed. The delay was due to my tech going to Bonneville for some speed meet. (He set a record for a naked mod. buell at 194 mph). Will post my data soon. Thx

joloy133

Well, I just put my bike through it. (Tested it around town, on a windy stretch, a few highway rips, especially the last uphill on ramp from a stop....3rd gear at 80 mph/7200ish rpms and climbing!) Picked it up at Infineon in Sonoma where Danica Patrick and the Indy boys will be this weekend...........WOW! My initial experience with the PC-V is similar to post#31. It starts to noticeably pull sooner, quicker, with more power, in all gears from go. If I figure out how to scan my readout and post it, I will. Numbers are scary good but the buttdyno shows definite improvement in performance. FWIW I feel the improvement is noteworthy and worth the investment.

shea88

02 sensor and marthy

HTML:
I'm concerned about this as well if I go with the marthy exhaust and pcv will it screw up my 02 sensor or does it not interfere if I leaves it plugged in? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm in ontario canada so I'm not sure if we have an 02 sensor or if all the bikes do.

Thanks in advance

Y

yellowfz

HTML:
I'm concerned about this as well if I go with the marthy exhaust and pcv will it screw up my 02 sensor or does it not interfere if I leaves it plugged in? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm in ontario canada so I'm not sure if we have an 02 sensor or if all the bikes do.

Thanks in advance
O2 sensors are Narrowband sensors meaning they only read within a few AFRs of stoich (14.7) usually during idle to keep that stoichiometric reading in check, if you were to log the sensor you would see a fluctuation from lean to rich in a Narrowband going on, above a certain rpm O2s are useless.
That is why a PCV uses a Wideband UEGO sensor can read a much broader range (wideband) of AFRs in higher RPMs.
In automotive we can use a wideband to input narrowband data so we use the wideband to augment (we put the wideband where the narrowband O2 sensor is and use the UEGO sensor to supply the ECU with O2 data and the tuning module with the Wideband data, there should be 5 wires on the wideband 3 can be used for narrowband data) the narrowband and get the best of both worlds, however on a motorcycle I haven't done one but you should be able to do it as well, same principal would apply.
If you leave the narrowband (O2) it should work fine.
Sorry to bore people with technical crap.

Last edited by a moderator: