"painted" / tinted my windshield

tzrox

I decided to buy a double bubble after reading a review on the forums and figured I'd have some fun with the stock windshield in the meantime.

I took it to a tint shop but they did not want to tint it saying that plexiglass emits some gas that causes bubbles and that it expands/shrinks differently in heat, or something along those lines.

Anyway, decided to just try and paint it, so bought some lens tint by rustoleum from autozone because I didn't want it to be completely black.

I put 3 coats on it, waiting about 10 min between each one. They were very light, and I almost wish I had done a few more now for more smoothness. Anyway, here is how it turned out.

It has this odd texture when you hold it up to a light which I didn't like at first but kind of dig it now. It's dark outside, otherwise i'd put it back on the bike to see what it looks like.

Attachments

alh081

i did the same thing recently. painted the stock one. it looks ok, but i may go back to the clear.

legioss

Hard to tell just on pic, but i think it came out nice! I see one pic with light on it showing some roughness, but over all, it looks nice enough for me to try it in the future.

buckwild

I did this a few weeks ago with the crylon fusion plastic spray.

Turned out fantastic but it is totally blacked out.

But I cant use it anyway, and it looks awesome.

alh081

I used 'Plasti Dip' on my windscreen and, try as I might, just couldn't resist the call of the red rattle can:

I rather like it, but that may change...
i used plastidip on the inside. that way, the textured part cant be seen.

TssTssTss

As is often the case with me, I act without thinking things entirely through.

I think that I had intended to go the same route (i.e. Plasti Dip to the inside of the windscreen), but for whatever reason, coated the outside.

That being said, though, I actually like it on the outside. It very closely matches the sheen of the black plastic on the bike/mirrors. It'd be nice if the texture was a bit closer, but it's not terrible.

Am I just trying to justify my lack of forethought? Undoubtedly.

alh081's post http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/10-27-mini-photoshoot-alh081s-fz6r-27618/ was my initial inspiration for trying, and subsequently botching, this modification.

Here's a couple more pics from a bit further back that better shows how the externally Plasti Dipped windscreen looks fits in with the rest of the bike:

Attachments

alh081

it actually looks ok. if anything, just peel it off and paint the inside.

Idiosynocracy

As is often the case with me, I act without thinking things entirely through.

I think that I had intended to go the same route (i.e. Plasti Dip to the inside of the windscreen), but for whatever reason, coated the outside.

That being said, though, I actually like it on the outside. It very closely matches the sheen of the black plastic on the bike/mirrors. It'd be nice if the texture was a bit closer, but it's not terrible.

Am I just trying to justify my lack of forethought? Undoubtedly.

alh081's post http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/10-27-mini-photoshoot-alh081s-fz6r-27618/ was my initial inspiration for trying, and subsequently botching, this modification.

Here's a couple more pics from a bit further back that better shows how the externally Plasti Dipped windscreen looks fits in with the rest of the bike:

I like how that looks. the textures from the plasti-dip look great and match the fairings and mirrors... I like the red bolts. Looks spiffy!

skyrider1977

I painted the inside of mine with Krylon Fusion gloss black. I think it looks much better now especially since I have a raven model.