On Ramps

XTRAWLD

I will fully admit - I suck at riding on ramps and I have no idea what's wrong with me.

I can handle slow speed turns fine, long sweepers going 70kmh/43mph, I control my tire tracks when changing direction at intersections. But f me if I can get the on ramps down right.

I don't ride the highways often (prolly some of the problem right there), we usually ride country roads away from traffic, but of course to get anywhere quickly, jump on the highway and go. There is a nice sweeper on-ramp near me to go north bound, and a large curved loop on ramp to go south bound. I don't go out and practice because I don't really have the time to jump on the bike but I would like to go out and practice this weekend should I be able to.

Long sweeper north bound - I have a problem just leaning and accelerating and find myself slowly drifting to the left side. I have tried to start taking the on ramp on the right tire track AND the left tire track to try to figure out where I'm going wrong and they both end up with the same result - I just slowly drift over.

For the tighter south bound loop I'm actually much better, but find I keep a steady speed until the ramp is almost done and then I gun it to merge. The turn could be tighter but I don't find that I drift as much on the turn, probably because I'm concentrating more on leaning.

Any tips out there for me to get better? I'm not trying to ride a race or hang a knee. I just don't want to end up doing the stupid drift I'm doing. I'm sure alot of it is me getting use the to bike but sheesh.....

blkbrd

Elite Member

Deanohh

OK, how about leading the bike through the turn with your head and shoulders...if you don't want to move over to the outside of the curve then don't look over there.. instead look in the direction where you WANT to go and shift your weight to your inside butt cheek (r for r turns, l for left turns), keeping your centerline to the "inside" the bike centerline. If you do that, your turns will feel much more stable. For this method don't keep your body upright while leaning the bike under you.... your torso should be leaned more to the inside than the bike is.

Last edited:

Sparkxx1

Look for where you want to exit is the main thing. If you think and look for yourself drifting, you will drift off! Just like Deanohh said, try to move your butt an inch to the inside of the curve. this will also help keep the bike turn.

Last edited:

Chucker

There are some links on here about body positioning with some great videos. The key is to shift your weight to the inside peg and get your upper body over to the inside a bit. As much as you don't want to "hang a knee", shifting your weight properly allows you to carry more speed into the turn without leaning the bike so much. Search for the body positioning threads and watch the videos to understand.

XTRAWLD

Yup, I took an MSF course and know the whole push turn steering thing. I do look up but I guess when I end up drifting, accidently look there and oops....keep on drifitng. Usually hubby rides in front and I follow him with my eyes so that keeps my eyes looking forward and following. Can we factor speed into this....if I'm drifting out, should I lean harder to the right and give a little more throttle so the bike will push me through and back on course?

I have been reading info, not actually watching vids, because I can't find anything quality that isn't crazy riding that shows it more step by step while going on an on ramp. LOL

Thanks guys, I will certainly try to shift my butt weight more!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Deanohh

Yup, I took an MSF course and know the whole push turn steering thing. I do look up but I guess when I end up drifting, accidently look there and oops....keep on drifitng. Usually hubby rides in front and I follow him with my eyes so that keeps my eyes looking forward and following. Can we factor speed into this....if I'm drifting out, should I lean harder to the right and give a little more throttle so the bike will push me through and back on course?

I have been reading info, not actually watching vids, because I can't find anything quality that isn't crazy riding that shows it more step by step while going on an on ramp. LOL

Thanks guys, I will certainly try to shift my butt weight more!
If I understand what you're saying by more throttle, that will not "push" you back to the inside. More throttle will tend to push you outward and you would need more "lean" just to stay the same. I'd take it easy on the "more throttle" concept until you can get your weight to get the bike to track where you want it. Be safe no matter what you do.

XTRAWLD

RE: The vid

Ya, that's me, steady speed, turning but I don't stick like glue to the line like that. Funny - I can on a curve like that on the road, but I can't do this on an on-ramp. I don't usually ride in the right tire track on an on ramp. So I think the fact that I ride on the left tire track is the problem, and if I start using the right more, it might become easier for me.

Deanohh

You're obsessing about that tire track thing.... forget that and go take some more lessons before you hurt yourself.

JSP

Super Moderator
hold on, vid to follow.... just always remember, slow in, fast out... you can always be slow as you want going in... it's a maintain or increase your speed through the turn, lean in or out as needed to keep your line.

and as to looking where you are going.. that works great on a race-track where you have no merging traffic, but on the streets it is a trick to keep focusing on your route, and head checking for incoming traffic...

YouTube - ‪best part about going to work‬‏
Hey! I know that off ramp :D That was a fun one going to work!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

motoguy82

unless it's wet or there's oil on the turn, your tires will stick a lot better than you think they will. start slow, use the techniques discussed in previous posts, and ease into it. on this bike, you will drag a peg well before you will lose traction under onramp speeds and normal circumstances. steady on the throttle and look ahead....unlikely you're breaking the back tire loose unless you're actually trying to do so.

XTRAWLD

If you need to turn right... shift your weight on the right. Hold your left knee agains the tank (You hold the bike with your legs, not the handlebar) Point your right knee out a bit then move your head and shoulder towards the right, right in front of the mirrors. Steady throttle... don't look at the pavement where you going... look deep into the turn WHERE you want to go. Be safe!
Thanks. I checked out some vids about body position from the race instructors as the bike is stationary and I think I get what I have to do - just not quite extreme.

XTRAWLD

You're obsessing about that tire track thing.... forget that and go take some more lessons before you hurt yourself.
Wow - you must think I have 0 riding experience....thank you so much.....

sammy56

Wow - you must think I have 0 riding experience....thank you so much.....
Granted the member's advice was not particularly diplomatic, but there should be no difference in riding on an on/off ramp, street, highway or parking lot. You likely do simply need to simply practice/ride more on streets that you are comfortable on before you ride on highways.
Good luck and be safe.

LB

Sage

This is pretty much what Marthy said, just concentrate on where you need to go and less on the tire tracks imo. They may make you drift if they are horribly dug in, but who cares about them unless your taking that entrance/exit like your in a Motogp race. Just like I learned in my msf and bmw control school, look where you want to go, not where you are that second. See through the turn and you will most of the time be right on track on where you need to be in the lane and be able to take it relatively quick and smooth.

Practice makes perfect, you'll get comfortable eventually. I know I have come a long way with interstate ramps since I started and even switch over to this bike.

Last edited:

AFDavis11

You don't need to look where you are going out of necessity, but keep in mind that if you look left, you'll go left. Looking right has the same effect.

Just compensate with more countersteering.

Merging is one of the few times when you look in another direction, opposing your ground track.

You just need a tad of practice in that area I think.

raybob

I suggest that you practice rolling on the throttle once you get the bike leaned over. Sounds like what you call "drifting to the inside" is actually slowing down slightly. Brake (no throttle), counter-steer, apply throttle slowly until you are upright. Turn complete!

No throttle when you're braking, no braking when you're accelerating.

Keith Code says you're either accelerating or you're stopping and those are mutually exclusive, but he teaches racing. Still, even the MSF (I think their course was designed by Keith) watches your brake lights in the turns.

The superbike maniacs used to do some really violent turns, almost a complete stop then swing the end of the bike around until pointed at the corner exit, and immediately hammering the throttle, but that certainly makes no sense on a public road, much less an on-ramp.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member