Oil pan is cracked ... now what?

mdgreene2001

Just helicoil the thread to fix, I wouldn't worry about insisting in a change of sump.
Doesn't work well on a oil pan... If you have access to a tig welder and skills you can fix it cheap and quick. Weld it up, chase the threads, reinstall drain plug

karim18

Doesn't work well on a oil pan... If you have access to a tig welder and skills you can fix it cheap and quick. Weld it up, chase the threads, reinstall drain plug
Dropped off the bike at the dealership yesterday. Service manager said he would look at it today and then get working with Yamaha to get it resolved.

latony007

Personally, I've never used a torque wrench to do a oil change on any vehicle. My father always told me to tighten oil filters and oil plugs just tight enough so they don't leak. Oil filter was always 1/8 to 1/4 turn after hand tight. As far as oil plug, I always tried to match the torque I used to remove it. Then fill the crankcase, start engine, check for leaks, if none, you're done.
I personally have never even attempted an oil change before,
for the $25 they charge now to get it done in 30 minutes seems better than me getting dirty LOL

I am curious to see what happens with the dealer though so let us know.

karim18

Sorry I never followed up, dealer worked with yamaha and they replaced the whole oil pan (I checked, they did not repair it)

latony007

excellent, glad they took care of you. by the way i did wind up changing my own oil on both my bikes. Cruiser was a PITA cause the filter was soo stuck on. only K&N filters for me from now on.