OEM Gel Seat

J

justBlue

Has anyone tried the Gel seat that Yamaha sell's for the FZR6? It's $200 bucks - wanted to see if it is worth the investment or cheezie....:confused:

Thanks!

Mike

latony007

I have not tried, I have wanted to try it since the alternatives are 450 bucks but the few who have chimed in said its not more comfortable, some even said less. I know Eddie from the site re-does seats with more foam and new wraps for less than the comfort seat. They look good but im so short im afraid if it raised me up an inch ill be screwed.

silentwarrior82

I just purchased one of these seats off Amazon last week and just installed it yesterday. Was on it a half hour to work and half hour back, felt good while up against the tank, but not so nice towards the rear. I do feel more grip on the seat.
Weighting 6' and 240 pounds, I'm probably a bigger guy on this bike, and was bottoming out on the stock seat so had to make a change when I went on rides out of town. I'm probably doing a longer ride tomorrow and will let you know what I think after that, but so far so good.
BTW I have only had my bike for 3 weeks and have already put almost 1000 miles on it, and it's my first bike so you can take it as you'd like.
As you said, it's one of the cheapest after market seats out there by about half, so I had to give it a shot.

latony007

I just purchased one of these seats off Amazon last week and just installed it yesterday. Was on it a half hour to work and half hour back, felt good while up against the tank, but not so nice towards the rear. I do feel more grip on the seat.
Weighting 6' and 240 pounds, I'm probably a bigger guy on this bike, and was bottoming out on the stock seat so had to make a change when I went on rides out of town. I'm probably doing a longer ride tomorrow and will let you know what I think after that, but so far so good.
BTW I have only had my bike for 3 weeks and have already put almost 1000 miles on it, and it's my first bike so you can take it as you'd like.
As you said, it's one of the cheapest after market seats out there by about half, so I had to give it a shot.
Please do keep updating. Im curious. And let me ask you, do you think its any taller than the stock seat? Im probably going to be out 3 or 4 hours tomorrow and that can get bad on stock seat. Im always just fidgeting around. If you search i think its dirt road or custom seats you can see some of eddies work, he does real nice work and is actually slightly less than the comfort seat but the kicker is it makes it taller and you have to send in your old seat so no going back.

silentwarrior82

I don't think it sits higher per say but I don't seem to sink in it quite so much and don't feel the plastic thru the padding on my *** anymore. I'll let you know tomorrow for sure. I'm at least going to go to the lake the long way. Hopefully the ramp will be open this time with the govt. shut down thing over with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Deathdiesel

IMO spencers seat mod for the price is amazing. Only downside is modifying stock seat, its made a very very large difference on mine.

lwclancers

I really like the gold gel insert from Luimoto. I put that in my stock seat when I got my new seat covers. No change in seat height, and its made a difference in my long commute.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

latony007

I really like the gold gel insert from Luimoto. I put that in my stock seat when I got my new seat covers. No change in seat height, and its made a difference in my long commute.

can you give more info on that? the link takes your to a seat cover for a gsxr. I went out for about 4 hours today and my butt was not very happy by the end!

lwclancers

Must have been an auto-generated link, I didn't post one. Just do a forum search for Luimoto. We did a seat cover group buy this summer, and a handful of us got the gold gel insert too.

silentwarrior82

So all the riding I was going to do this weekend got put on hold to Honey Do's :mad: I'll ride it to work a few times this week and will give ya some input on the "Comfort Seat". I have taken it on a few errands around here, and it feels pretty good so far, as long as I don't slide my *** to far back in the seat. That rear area is still a little tough by the rear seat cover. The front side has enough comfort and sink to make a nice ride out of it. Just what I've noticed so far.

latony007

So all the riding I was going to do this weekend got put on hold to Honey Do's :mad: I'll ride it to work a few times this week and will give ya some input on the "Comfort Seat". I have taken it on a few errands around here, and it feels pretty good so far, as long as I don't slide my *** to far back in the seat. That rear area is still a little tough by the rear seat cover. The front side has enough comfort and sink to make a nice ride out of it. Just what I've noticed so far.
Boo on the honey do's. I tell my wife I get two days available to ride during the fall/winter months so you can bet im getting out on at least one of them for a few hours. Anyway keep the updates coming. I am curious does it offer any more support or assist up front by the gas tank in any way? Reduce the old package smash at all?

silentwarrior82

Well, I just got home from work, only about a half hour each way, mostly highway and wear about 20 lbs on my back for the cooler ride home and stuff for work. So far so good, the back of the seat is finally starting to loosen up a little bit, becoming more comfortable. The front of the seat is still the sweet spot. As for protecting the package... I had to hit the breaks pretty hard as a light switched and the guy in front of me slammed on his breaks, and the news is...... Great :) That fz6r area actually scoops up a little bit providing a little extra coverage in that area. I haven't ridden 2 up yet as I don't believe I'm ready for a passenger yet, so not sure how it will work in that aspect but riding solo, I'm very happy with this seat so far. Will update on longer rides as they happen, or issues i have as they come up.

J

justBlue

I ordered the Gel seat from Amazon. Should get here Wed. or thur. Anything has to be better then the org. I hope it will attach in the high position. Leg room is much better for my tall frame. lol
I'll give my opion also on this $200 seat. BTW - shh, don't tell my wife how much $... : ) told her it was the same price as a pair of shoes....

latony007

I ordered the Gel seat from Amazon. Should get here Wed. or thur. Anything has to be better then the org. I hope it will attach in the high position. Leg room is much better for my tall frame. lol
I'll give my opion also on this $200 seat. BTW - shh, don't tell my wife how much $... : ) told her it was the same price as a pair of shoes....
for most womens shoes you are right, it is about the same price! Im sure it will attach in the higher position. Let us know how it goes.

latony007

THERE IS A REASON THERE CALLED DAY LONG SEATS http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/mods-old-farts-18825/
well that is an interesting looking bike you got there Stuna. Very creative thinking. I have a cruiser for the comfy rides and for riding two up. I know you guys don't like them but i think its fun for putting around. i dont like putting my wife or especially my daughter on the fz6r. I don't think I could deal with that seat on your 6r, looks comfy for a chair seems to wide and like its sitting on top of the stock or something? Bottom line is i can just get the balls of my feet down now, if i go up any at all im going to have to lower it too.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

J

justBlue

OEM Gel Seat - Great!

I got the new seat. I like it. Looks custom - fits great. Gel helps me ride longer without butt getting sore. I would recommend - and maybe with sheep skin on top also. I heard gel gets really hot in summer sun. No regrets here.:)

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator: