New tires losing pressure weekly

tanoz

I purchased a new bike and every week i check the tire pressure.

Not sure if its due to my riding style (?) or something I am doing but each week im losing 3 psi on the front a 2 psi on the back tire.

This has been since the first week of having the bike and I've owned it a total of 4 weeks now.

Any clues as to what it might be?

JSP

Super Moderator
Are you always checking the tires cold (not ridden on)?

bmw675

Check to make sure the valve core isn't loose. That's the first place if look.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Mine has always done that, new or retread (new tire change), I have always heard mag wheels do that, expansion and contraction.
Get some water with some dish soap in it and kind of check the rim and valve area, see if bubbles form, a sign of a air leak, doubt it will, just mag wheels.

Bert-Aus

Dr Karl discussed this about 3 weeks back on JJJ (podcasts available Science on TripleJ),
something along lines of how often vehicle is run relative to how much pressure is lost.
The more often it is used less pressure is lost, compared to little use =greater pressure loss.

When the vehicle gets used, with each rotation of the wheel the rubber is squashed tightly as it is on the down side.
As it rotates around the rubber rebounds, slightly expanding. Then squashed together again on the downside.
When the vehicle is standing still only the down side (contact area) is squashed, whilst the remainder of the tire is slightly expanded. Whilst in its expanded state small amounts of air can escape through pores in the rubber.
So if you ride daily your tyres should stay consistent, if she sits for lengthy periods expect pressure to drop.

Either way those pressures you stated are about what I get when checking and I will check them about every two weeks.
30psi is reccomended as a base point for track work to provide best grip for yours tyres.

So do the soapy water leak test, take it to your dealer, that way you will get peace of mind.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FastFreddy

I used to lose about 2 PSI per week on my previous tyres.
I'd pump them up to spec every week basically.

The current tyres don't seem to lose as much pressure, so I'm checking every month now. The pressure seems to drop to 34FR and 37 Rear, and stay steady there for me, this must be the optimum point for less pressure loss due to tyre flex and expansion and stuff.

I can feel it in the ride if the pressure is too low now, the front wheel will get a squishy feeling under brakes at 34 PSI. The rear starts to feel flobby to me at 35-36 PSI.

Dr Karl, he's famous for that "microsleep" advert, I recall him saying "big problem" in the advert.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnYu9X6b0XE]Microsleep Commercial RTA - YouTube[/ame]
If I need to say "big problem", I say it like Dr Karl now.
ie : Letting lefties run the national broadcaster and thereby subvert the nation over decades is a big problem.

I like 35 PSI front and 38-40 PSI in the rear for the Q2s btw.

Detrich

I like 34F 38R for Q2's... Dealer always fills them to 36F 40R. Both ride really well canyons and street.

Y

yellowfz

36F/42R is the best felling to me, gives great response in corners and turning. YMMV