New LED blinkers out of sync...

mike1000

Hey all New Forum Friends!!! This is my first post. I just installed flush mounts on the front of my new 09 Raven today. It went easy and fast but now my fronts are out of sync with the rear. Is there a way to get them back in sync?

juicyfruitjim

I noticed the same thing. But have decided to live with it.

mike1000

Ha my OCD wont allow that! If its possible to re sync them, I would like to. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Detrich

Maybe change the rears to LED too?

My car club friends said there are resistors that they had to put on to keep all the lights working properly after switching to LEDs...

mike1000

I have the LEDs for the rear but from a different manufacturer. The ones I put on in the front had 2 wires...yellow and black. The stock ends had 3 wires...blue, brown and black with lines on it. Directions say to tuck the black striped wire on both sides. Would the tucked wire maybe have anything to do with syncing the front and rear?

Detrich

mike1000

you either need to put a load resistor on each front or change the relay to one that does not have to see a load.

the factory flasher relay is designed to blink differently when the bulb blows. LEDs pull so little current that the flasher thinks the bulb is blown.

here is what I used.

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

ryan
Do you have LEDs front and back? which relay setup did you use and what are your results? Did you have to use the Stage I Load Equalizers?

Last edited:

spider2k

Elite Member
Last edited:

FitZ6R

I have the LEDs for the rear but from a different manufacturer. The ones I put on in the front had 2 wires...yellow and black. The stock ends had 3 wires...blue, brown and black with lines on it. Directions say to tuck the black striped wire on both sides.
That's the problem. The black wire (not striped on my bike or in the wiring diagram) is ground. Blue is the running light and brown ("chocolate," officially) is the turn signal. Your LEDs are floating between the running light and turn signal circuits, which is causing the out of sync flash.

mike1000

That's the problem. The black wire (not striped on my bike or in the wiring diagram) is ground. Blue is the running light and brown ("chocolate," officially) is the turn signal. Your LEDs are floating between the running light and turn signal circuits, which is causing the out of sync flash.
Just curious but would this be putting a load on my battery when its keyed off?

FitZ6R

Just curious but would this be putting a load on my battery when its keyed off?
Shouldn't. All the lighting circuits are disconnected from the battery with the key off.

mike1000

Originally Posted by spider2k
it's plug and play and if you trim the tab at the top of it you can re-use the rubber mounting part from the original flasher. it's righ under the seat on the clutch side of the bike.

I hate to be a a pain in the neck but could you or anyone possibly take a pic of and indicate where our stock flasher is under the seat? Or maybe draw a diagram? I can locate the small fuse box on that side but not sure where the factory flasher is. Can I get a lil help on this one?

Also, when I installed all of my LED's, I blew a couple fuses which I replaced. Just out of curiosity in case I blew something that I missed, is our headlight suppose to come on at key turn along with taillight and running lights or at actual start up?

Here are some pics of whats been done so far...

Attachments

Last edited:

mike1000

all you need is the $20 relay. our factory flasher relay is designed to cause rapid blinking when the load(resistance) on the circuit falls below a certain level to indicate a blown bulb. this is what we all call hyper-blinking or hyper-flashing.the "load equalizers" are just resistors.

the relay that i linked and bought does not have the same load requirement so it will blink at a set rate even with LEDs which register much less resistance than the filament inside an incandescent bulb. the filament inside is a resistor that gets really hot and glows.

it's plug and play and if you trim the tab at the top of it you can re-use the rubber mounting part from the original flasher. it's righ under the seat on the clutch side of the bike.

you can also make the two wire flush mount operate as a running/blinker with a couple of resistors and diodes. i over made mine using scrap plugs i found on eBay so that they are plug and play.
Still trying to get spider2k to show me what and where that flasher relay plugs into on the clutch side of the bike under our seat. Help me out spider!!! A bit off topic, Im thinking about tinting the headlight to match my smoked wind screen and blinkers. I'm just afraid that this would hinder my ability to be seen. What do y'all think?

Roaddawg

A bit off topic, Im thinking about tinting the headlight to match my smoked wind screen and blinkers. I'm just afraid that this would hinder my ability to be seen. What do y'all think?
I think very bad idea. Although it would look nice, I'd rather be seen and not killed. We already have the chips stacked against us, so don't take your already limited visibility away. Just my $0.02.

mike1000

you either need to put a load resistor on each front or change the relay to one that does not have to see a load.

the factory flasher relay is designed to blink differently when the bulb blows. LEDs pull so little current that the flasher thinks the bulb is blown.

here is what I used.

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

ryan
i just put this in. actually i tried both of them and im still having the same problem with the strong rear leds and the really light leds up front. they are still out of sync. what else can i try? Please help!

mike1000

i just put this in. actually i tried both of them and im still having the same problem with the strong rear leds and the really light leds up front. they are still out of sync. what else can i try? Please help!
do i have to sneak a set of regular lights on here to get everything back to full brightness and full speed?

elishatarvin

it kinda sounds to me like u got a running/blinker light wire hooked up to a factory ground wire. im so used to green being ground that i had kinda the same issue when i installed my flush mounts. swapped the wires and all was good to go. as FitZ6R stated, the black is ground, blue is running light and depending on what side u r on, the last wire is the blinker