New Handle Bars

stroke

So Im almost done with my handlebar swap.. All i need now is my new grips and my universal bar ends. These bars were inexpensive and have a very good finish. They have a lower profile then the stock bars but are a little bit longer overall, yet still adjustable like the originals. I have some pics so far down there, and i will post more as i get the rest of my parts needed to finish the job... should be sometime next week when they all get here.. :rant:
Let me know what you guys think... i think the way i have them setup makes them more comfortable then the stock bars!

Attachments

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

cbzdel

My concern with getting new bars was being able to still turn the wheel to full lock without hitting the tank or fairing, is it possible with your setup??

OTTF

This looks like a nice set up, I have been thinking of doing this myself since I would like a lower profile also.

How much lower would you say these bars take over stock?

stroke

My concern with getting new bars was being able to still turn the wheel to full lock without hitting the tank or fairing, is it possible with your setup??
yea i can still turn the wheel to full lock.. the key is drilling your hole for your controls on the bar to turn the controls up so the horn or the engine start button do not hit the tank..

stroke

This looks like a nice set up, I have been thinking of doing this myself since I would like a lower profile also.

How much lower would you say these bars take over stock?
its a little bit lower and more towards your body the bars have a longer pullback then the stocks and since their a little bit longer your hands are a little bit wider

rleckert

its a little bit lower and more towards your body the bars have a longer pullback then the stocks and since their a little bit longer your hands are a little bit wider
Looks good, what are the differences (+ & -) that you notice in how the bike handles?

stroke

Yes I have been looking for some new handlbars, please post the link where you got them from.
go to ebay and type in 7/8 handlebars.. there called superbike bars.. from this company out of new york they were like 32 bucks they come in black or polished, also they have a couple of different styles that i think would work for our bikes.. but like i said the ones i used were called superbike

cbzdel

I think they are also called drag bars. correct?

stroke

I think they are also called drag bars. correct?
no the drag bars are straight these have a slight pullback and arch in the bars but they are close.. i think the drag bars would sit your arms to far foward being extremly uncomfortable.. but who knows.. the seller had some drag bars though along with other designs i mentioned

arcflash316

I ordered the bars yesterday, so what extra parts did you need to complete the install besides drilling the hole in the right spot?

stroke

your gonna need to buy some universal bar ends because there a no threads at the end of the bars.. the universal bar ends work fine..i just got them yesterday, when i get around my camera ill take some pictures of the new grips and ends!

arcflash316

that's all? I won't be able to reuse my stock grips either so I will need those with some grip glue and I was wondering what wire goes through the hole that gets drilled? is it for the turn signals or the ignition?

cbzdel

that's all? I won't be able to reuse my stock grips either so I will need those with some grip glue and I was wondering what wire goes through the hole that gets drilled? is it for the turn signals or the ignition?
i dont believe a wire goes though a hole, there is typically a "peg" on the inside of the controls to prevent them from rotating around the handlebars. So you can either grind the peg off or drill your handlebars to accept this "peg"

stroke

i dont believe a wire goes though a hole, there is typically a "peg" on the inside of the controls to prevent them from rotating around the handlebars. So you can either grind the peg off or drill your handlebars to accept this "peg"
excactly .. so depending how far down you want to rotate your bars down towards the plastic, you might need to drill the hole off the center of the bar a little bit alowing your controls to rotate so they dont drag across the plastic..

arcflash316

ok gotcha! I still wanted to know if changing out grips was necessary, I just got back from the bike shop and bought universal bar ends, I didn't get grips yet because I wasn't sure if they were a must......I guess if the left hand gets destroyed in the swap I will have to anyways

stroke

nah if you can get your grips off then you dont have to change them.. i tok my fz6r grips off three or four times when i was painting the stock bars a while back.. the only reason why i got new grips is because i liked them better then the ones I had lol

dste0395

nah if you can get your grips off then you dont have to change them.. i tok my fz6r grips off three or four times when i was painting the stock bars a while back.. the only reason why i got new grips is because i liked them better then the ones I had lol
I know this post has been on here a while, but do you have any instructions to share with me on how you removed the throttle grip? I am about to do a bar swap and cannot find any good posts.