New FZ6r

scottex

new member of the forum and a new owner of a FZ6r for my first ever bike. took it out first time this weekend and man loved it but wish it was louder, any reccomendations on exhausts? also, when changing gears on the FZ6r when is it best time to change gears, i know stupid question but i dont want to screw up the bike, is it based on RPM or speed? in the manual it states speed but when im riding its going up to 8 or 9000 to get to that speed.

roadrat

Welcome aboard Scott! I have a new bike too, don't forget there is a break-in period for the first 600 miles. According to the manual we should not go over 5800 rpms... I've been shifting usually between 5000 and 5500 rpms.

kevin8198

Elite Member

Gwai lo 2.0

new member of the forum and a new owner of a FZ6r for my first ever bike. took it out first time this weekend and man loved it but wish it was louder, any reccomendations on exhausts? also, when changing gears on the FZ6r when is it best time to change gears, i know stupid question but i dont want to screw up the bike, is it based on RPM or speed? in the manual it states speed but when im riding its going up to 8 or 9000 to get to that speed.

Welcome to the board.

The search function works well, but here are a few links that might answer your questions.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f13/new-bike-break-20422/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/shift-points-21940/

Gwai lo 2.0

welcome! and congrats!

a lot of people are going to tell you "use the search function"
the only way ive been able to find anything useful with it is by...

clicking the "search" tab
then clicking the "advanced search" option

Picture%2525203.jpg

type "exhaust" where it says "search by keyword"
then click "search titles only"
Picture%2525206.png

then at the bottom hit the "search now" button
Picture%2525205.png

and this is what i get

peace

Doh! you beat me to the punch!

Harda toenail

Talk to marthy. He makes a custom pipe and PCV program just for the FZ6r. He owns the bike and rides all the time (His bike probably has more miles than almost any other 6r). He's really friendly and an active board member.

JSP

Super Moderator
Welcome...

Deanohh

I don't remember anything about break-in speed in the manual.?? If I remember right it says avoid prolonged riding about 5000, 6000 rpm for the given miles... not keep it under a certain rpm. Can't check it cause I don't have the manual now. To start with I would run up through the gears to about 6k rpm and then ride around at about 5k while frequently varying speed. Then after 500 mi I'd shift around 7k or a little higher and ride around at about 6k and keep going a little higher until shifting at about 10k by the time I went 1000 mi. Changed oil at 300 and 600 and 1000 mi. After that just mostly shift and run between 5 and 8k rpm.

Detrich

welcome & congrats! :)

for the first 600 miles, try to (a) keep it under 6000rpm, if possible. and, also try to (b) ride in varying speeds. that is, try to avoid prolonged freeway cruising at a set speed, if possible. a combo of city riding + short freeway rides is best for breaking in.

but, bear in mind that these are just "guidelines," and not the holy grail.

don't risk your safety just to try to stick to the break in rules- that's just dumb. the engine is a robost piece of machinery, and it's not going to bust a nut if u go over 6000rpm. nor will it spontaneously fall apart... :lol:

just use good sense, be safe, and have fun. :)

scottex

I don't remember anything about break-in speed in the manual.?? If I remember right it says avoid prolonged riding about 5000, 6000 rpm for the given miles... not keep it under a certain rpm. Can't check it cause I don't have the manual now. To start with I would run up through the gears to about 6k rpm and then ride around at about 5k while frequently varying speed. Then after 500 mi I'd shift around 7k or a little higher and ride around at about 6k and keep going a little higher until shifting at about 10k by the time I went 1000 mi. Changed oil at 300 and 600 and 1000 mi. After that just mostly shift and run between 5 and 8k rpm.

i cant exactly remember the page in the manual but it talks about from 0 to 19 mph shift 1st to 2nd gear and so on to 6th gear

kevin8198

Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Deanohh

Engine break-in, starting at page 6-3 of the manual (the one online on the Yamaha site anyway)
Thanks, I see that now. It is the text next to the speed table that I was remembering and I was pretty close to that part. The shift points on the speed table are barely above idle rpms and that is not in the break in section and are not meant for break in. That might be ok for a beginner rider going downhill that can barely keep from falling over. You lug the engine pretty good if you go by that. I don't see where the OP came up with 8000-9000 rpm by following that table?? unless he got the km/h and mph mixed up... and I don't think even that would get your rpms that high.