New from Central VA

Pinarello Rider

Hey all,
Picking up my new 2012 FZ6r on Tuesday. Moving into it from an 02 Harley 883. Liked the Harley, but needed a more upright riding position - more like my road bike. I plan to turn it into a sport-tourer with a trunk and possible some saddlebags. Any recommendations on vendors/brands to look at?

Bike will mostly be for commuting and weekend fun to the mountains - more interested in scenery than a "spirited" ride - I'm not a speed demon.

Anyhow - hope to see some of you on the road. I'll be the lollygagger in the group. :Sport:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Welcome to the forum...

I 2nd the Givi... I think with bags (and most things), it's pay now or pay later... Looking at them myself right now, for perhaps next season.

What do you mean about a the 6R having a 'more upright riding position' coming from the 883? The 6R has about a 14° forward lean, the 883 about 1°. Were you comparing the 6R to a supersport? (If so, you're absolutely right...).

Pinarello Rider

Welcome! up near Bluemont myself.
Givi makes a nice saddlebag trunk setup, but it is pricy. I believe someone started a luggage thread here somewhere. check the traveling touring section. Lots of good info here.
I'm the slow poke myself, in it for relaxing/commutting and weekend camping trips. If you know of any good camp sites around you, let me know... buddy and I are always looking for new places to explore
Thanks - I've seen the Givi, but I've also seen some of the soft packs by Ventura and Kreiga that look really nice as well. The Kreiga look REALLY easy to remove and carry around, and don't require an attachment to hold it on.

There are good state parks around here - Bear Creek is nice, Twin Lakes, etc. We do the VA State Parks with the fam frequently and they really can't be beat.

Another favorite in Virginia International Raceway - virnow.com if you like road course racing. FANTASTIC venue to camp just about any weekend.

Welcome to the forum...

I 2nd the Givi... I think with bags (and most things), it's pay now or pay later... Looking at them myself right now, for perhaps next season.

What do you mean about a the 6R having a 'more upright riding position' coming from the 883? The 6R has about a 14° forward lean, the 883 about 1°. Were you comparing the 6R to a supersport? (If so, you're absolutely right...).
The more upright in relation to some of the supersports. I prefer a little lean forward because of my bike riding days. The harley is straight up and down, and I tend to slouch which is really tough of my prematurely aging back.

Thanks for the welcome guys - I will check out the touring section to see what the guys are running for touring packs.

:Sport:

Pinarello Rider

Paid for bike yesterday, just waiting for an opportunity to go pick it up. Supposed to storm like hell today, and while I'm not afraid of the rain, I would prefer to not take a new bike home in a massive thunderstorm with 50+mph winds when there is another option...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Yep, we are starting to get it now...
high winds are not good for riding
Hasn't reached Richmond yet, but it's an ugly wall. Looks like I'll have to pick up the bike on the way home tomorrow.

Welcome to the site from South Central PA!!
Thanks Rabbitman!

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum!

I like the Givi V46, althought he COOCASE from Twisted Throttle is pretty nice too (maybe even the premium electrified one - charging phone etc..), or even Shad (Most expensive of the group I think when look at size/size). For Saddle bags you can either go big from the start with hard bags, or save a little $ up front and get soft expandable ones like Motosport or Cortech bags that are pretty nice. I have the motosport (I think is the brand) from MC Superstore.
Thanks! I'll take a look at the Motosport - it's so hard to tell what fits best on the MC Superstore. They "say" they fit, but there's fitting and then there's fitting well.

Interesting about the Shad - I thought they were less than Givi and Givi is the "best". I'll take a closer look. Thanks!

Pinarello Rider

Well, the stars and planets aligned just right, and I finally got to pic up my bike. Put about 40 miles on her, mostly on windy country roads. BEAUTIFUL night - top 10 night.

One question. Does this bike run at 5k rpm at 55mph? Seems like she was revving high, just to maintain speed. Is that normal?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Same here. It did take a minute to used to such high of revs. My car redlined at 6k and if your used to sound to judge speed like in a car it can be different.
Put about 60 miles on it today on some country roads. Still breaking the engine in. Noticing that I don't really care for the rear suspension - it feels very slow to rebound. I think the manual said it's set at 3 - what do you all run it at? I'll put some more miles on it before changing, but just curious.

Got 37+ MPG on first tank. GREAT ride today - top 10 ever. Just cruisin' with my head up and on a swivel, enjoying the scenery, and loving the sound of the air by my head, and not Screamin' Eagle pipes. Don't get me wrong, my 883 is a great little bike and I loved riding it, but this is more my speed. This thing STOPS so much better. And it goes more quicker too. :)