Need some job advice

cbzdel

So I got laid off just a little while back.. I found a new job faily quick.. Before I was making $15/hr and an engineering tech for a small company.. Now I am working at a car dealership as a detailer just to pay the bills making $9/hr. And I even get health benifits!

I just got word there is an opening for an Engineering Intern for the a major city in my area. My old secretary (from the company I got laid off from) is the one who is doing the hiring so I have more than a foot though the door.

The problem is its a temp position, and she doesnt know what that means, a temp intern?? never heard of it?? also the pay is $13/hr with no benifits.. But I will be getting on my wife's benifits at the beginning of the year when the open enrollment is.

What do you guys think, does this job sound like BS like the just need an office bitch intern for a few weeks then cut him loose? I dont want to waste me time when I now have a stable bust job working 40+ for less pay but I know my job is somewhat stable (yet not the best)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
See if you can get a little more info out of it. Check to see if it is a temp-to-perm position? If so, go in a bust your arse to impress the heck out of them! If not, well, it's always a difficult choice to give up any permanent position to take on a temp job.

Maybe there's also a chance to work it out to do both, like engineering in the evenings?

If I were in your position, I'd only take it if it is one of the two options mentioned. If you have to leave a full time position without a guarantee or at least a hard promise there''s a full time position at the end, then I'd have to stick with what you've got and keep looking.

Good luck!!!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with FZ1inNH that you need to see if it is a position that could become permanent. Because if you leave your current job, and the temp one doesn't pan out, you may be stuck without a job. The current employer may not take you back. When dealing with jobs, you are best to have all the ducks in a row before making decisions.

cbzdel

wish me luck, my old secretary went to her boss and asked why the position said temporary and they said because it is.. She asked what that means its temparory until a real position opens up, we need someone but dont need someone, we so dont want to hire them on at a full time pay.. So we will train the and pay them at a lower wage until they are really needed them up them up to real time status..

I am gonna for for it.. But make sure of it, if I get a real interview..

again wish my luck guys, please haha!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Good luck Chris! I hope this works out for you. :thumbup:

Join the military!

cbzdel

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck, man! Hoping all the best for you!
:wav:

FitZ6R

But I will be getting on my wife's benifits at the beginning of the year when the open enrollment is.
Sorry, no career advice here, but I just wanted to point out that losing benefits due to a job change is considered a "qualifying life change," so you shouldn't have to wait until open enrollment to get on your wife's plan.

WenMark

Hey Guy try signing up for school subbing in you area. They make like $60-90 a day and you can chose to work what days you want. You only need a HS diploma or GED. Maybe that would help till the good job comes along. I know alot of people that do that and either find a really good job or eventually become teachers. You could teach engineering technology. I'm looking to do part time on line instructing at $30 per hour.:thumbup:

Roaddawg

Hey Guy try signing up for school subbing in you area...You only need a HS diploma or GED.
Here in CA, you have to have at least a bachelors degree to be a Sub...Oregon may be the same.

CBZDEL...sometimes you just gotta jump. Employers will hire you temp so they can "test ride" you without making you any promises. It's cheaper to hire you as a temp, see how you work out and they take you on permanent or can you without having to worry about paying unemployment, benefits, retirement...Hell, you may start working there and realize you don't like it there either...then you don't feel so back leaving. I always live by the rule that things happen for a reason. If your gut tells you to take it, take it. If it doesn't work out, it may lead to something better.

Last edited: