N00b question - brake noise?

macky

I searched the board for this issue before posting, but didn't find anything.

I am a new rider, just took delivery of a new 2009 FZ6R today. After a short ride I now have a whopping 3.1 miles on the odo. I noticed when I was moving the bike around my garage in neutral (switch off) that there is a slight rubbing sort of sound that seems to come from the front end. It's not a high pitch squeek or squeal, more of a low frequency sliding kind of noise. It seems like it could be the brake pads rubbing the rotors slightly. It happens with the wheel cut or straight. Is this normal? This is my first bike, so I'd appreciate any insight. I didn't notice any change in pitch if I applied the brake a little either.

Also, is it normal to have a little more resistance rolling the bike when it's in gear and the clutch is in versus neutral?

It's an awesome bike though. So smooth and lot's of power (from the little I can tell in 3 miles) compared to the Suzuki DR200 I rode in the MSF class.

Thanks in advance.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It is very possible that you are hearing the chain. But it is also possible that your brake pads touch the rotors. I know that mine do.

macky

Gonna take a wild guess and say it could be the chain movement that you're hearing. Since the chain moves when the back wheel is moved in gear or not. You'd be able to see if the brake pads were touching the rotors.

Oh and :welcome:

Ah. Good call. That makes total sense. Glad I added the n00b caveat. Thanks a lot.

FitZ6R

Welcome & congratulations!

Whether it's the chain or the brake pads dragging a tiny bit, the noise is nothing to worry about.

Also, is it normal to have a little more resistance rolling the bike when it's in gear and the clutch is in versus neutral?
Normal again. You're feeling the resistance of spinning the tranny gears and clutch basket.

Now quit rolling around the garage and get some miles on that new bike! :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I'd put money on the brake pads....You only have 3 miles on them, so they haven't even broken in yet. It's totally normal.

columbus2382

igot a little over 1000 miles on mine i got the same noise coming from what i think is the front brakes ive only noticed it when riding though i asked the shop about it when i took bike in for first service they couldnt tell me anything was wrong but it is kind og annoying i dont think it is affecting anything hasnt changed my ride at all.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Detrich

mine squeaks too. asked the dealer about it, and they said it's normal- so long as it isn't excessive and u don't feel like the wheel is rubbing and feeling like there is resistance on the wheel...

this is prolly just a side effect of disc brakes. my mountain bike has hydraulic disc brakes, and it makes a similar noise when i push it around.

hope this helps :)

Spunky99

Install some EBC sintered brake pads...they are even noisier...

Especially if you install one of them in reverse like I did once...LOL:D

macky

Thanks for all the feedback. After moving it last night again, it seems to be the pads rubbing a little because the sound is definitely coming from up front. Good to know it's normal.

JSP

Super Moderator
Normal. My FZ6R did it and now my R6 is even louder. Sounds like you are almost holding the front brake in while moving. Nothin to worry about. It is the pads slightly touching the rotor.