My next bike???

Fulkon

My neighbor came over this evening to show me his brand new bike a Honda NC700. Seems like a really awesome bike, lightweight, great mpg, plenty of cargo room, and can't beat the $6999 price on a new bike. After seeing it and sitting on it maybe time for a change?

6R Blackout

My next bike I will go all out may leave out the hand warmer option!!:steve:

Attachments

BKP

My neighbor came over this evening to show me his brand new bike a Honda NC700. Seems like a really awesome bike, lightweight, great mpg, plenty of cargo room, and can't beat the $6999 price on a new bike. After seeing it and sitting on it maybe time for a change?
That's the NC700X. Lots of good ideas in that bike, however, I'd want to ride it before making a decision on it... I've heard it may not have much to speak of on the top end -- in fact I think it redlines at 6500rpm, but low and mid-range torque is supposedly pretty good (and that's where *I* live, as opposed to a track acceptable bike)

However, if they brought the NC700S here, the naked, lower seat height version (which doesn't look like they are), it would have to really suck on the road to turn me off on it, despite the parallel twin in these bikes (and they put the gas tank *under* the seat -- any idea what that does for center of gravity, and it's propensity to lean like a pro...):

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

vkamnev

the only alternative from honda to 6r I see is cbf600...

RoadTrip

Never underestimate the joy power can bring, it's always nice to have an excess on tap, WOT and waiting is not very much fun.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Could be... but that 'around town, scooter-type of functionality' in a sport-looking bike, that according to the write up in Sept. Cycle Rider "has excellent steering and corning geometry," has, IMHO, wide appeal. At least if the sales figures in Europe are any indication...

The price, and mpg don't hurt, either...

After all, that's what *our* bike is considered to be, by the SS crowd...

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Fulkon

Yeah I won't make a decision until I ride it. Which he did offer for me to ride it but at the time I had on shorts and flipflops so I declined. HP isn't very important to me but I would like to have enough to keep things fun :) The bike that 6R Blackout posted looks really nice, for some reason I always forget BMW makes bikes. Thanks for all your posts

Chevyfazer

After owning my fz6 with pretty much 100hp I don't think I could own anything with less then that on a "full size" bike unless it had a incredible amount of tq. I say that and thought that I would never be happy with a dual sport thumper like my KLR but it's a completely different riding experience on a bike like that. But on a bigger bike like that honda, I just don't think I would ever enjoy it.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Chevyfazer

I keep hearing "bigger bike" "scooter like" "not a good sport bike" when people talk about the NC700x..

Umm people.. It's an adventure bike for touring with off road capability.. It's really light and nimble and extremely smooth for a parallel twin. Seriously don't bash it until you test it. I did and now I'm confused more than ever on what bike to get next.. That sucker is awesome! Oh and don't go for the DCT.. Manual tranny all the way!
I can agree with the don't bash it till you try it logic, I was the same way about the klr. I didn't think I would like it with it being WAY down on power compared to what I'm used to. However the klr is also lighter and geared way different and it's a fun little ride. But that Honda is pretty heavy at 480lbs, combine that with gear like most ADV riders would be riding with and with it being way down on power compared to other bikes in its class, I really dont know what Honda was thinking on this one. If I was in the market for a adventure touring bike, I'd be back looking at the vstrom 650. And if I had the money, I'd be looking at the Tiger's

BKP

The manual version of the NC700X is actually 51 horses. The DCT version (which I wouldn't want, either) is 45-47 (depending on which rag you read). The FZ6R is 64. However, the 700X is geared for quite a bit of low and mid-range torque... which I like.

Bottom line, I'd trade 13 top end horses for the mileage, lower center of gravity, off-road capability, built-in storage, and everything else the bike is purporting to be. (But would *still* want to ride it first). However, I'm in no hurry to trade in the Fizzer... If I were considering the NC700, it would be the 2013 or 2014 model...

@ChevyFazer: I checked out the WeeStrom before buying the FZ6R... You have to have daddy-long-legs for that bike (if you're the type that likes both feet on the ground at stops)... That bike is huge... It came off right off the table (for this short-legged shopper) right after sitting on it...

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

Yeah it does sit pretty tall but yeah I got some long legs lol. I used to have a 06 vstrom, I loved the bike, very comfortable and very torquey. I think i herd they lowered the seat height on the new model though, I could be wrong though.

Fizzer6R

i read reviews on this bike in motorcyclist magazine a few months back, before it was released to the US they said it was basically a cb 750 nothing more nothing less and the ride was lacking there of. id go with everyone else's advise give the thing a good test ride or something before you fall in love with the concept of the bike rather the function. the bike is a neat idea but it sounds like a re invented nighthawk brought from the grave and mixed with some scooter parts lol
really they said that? maybe i'm confused
NC700X parallel twin 45+hp
CB750 Inline Four 70+hp

i've had a couple CB750 Nighthawk's and they have a lil bit of balls, not sportbike but for their category they do just fine

Chevyfazer

Honda should put the old vfr800 engine it. If they did I bet that bike would sell out real quick. That's the problem with Honda now, they are dulling down everything they make while everyone else is sharpening their edges.

BKP

Apparently, they're not having trouble selling them, though... They (a couple of the industry blogs/mags) are saying it could very well be THE #1 selling bike overseas, by the end of 2012 (that comes from Cycle Rider and one other that escapes me right now).

It's being described as a brand new category... somewhere between the economy of a typical Euro-Asian scoot, and the function of a full out sport/adventure bike, that's based on existing automotive designs... (which might make more sense than not).