My new FZ6R will be here in 2 days!

ATLshawty

Hello all,

I found this forum in a Google search and I like what I have seen so far. Please allow me to introduce myself...

I took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class a few months ago with no motorcycle riding experience. I really only took the class to get the "silly" thought of riding a motorcycle out of my head. I was the only female in the class and I figured it would end one of two ways: (1) I run home terririfed and crying the first day and never touch a motorcycle again or (2) I catch on quickly, get bit by the bug, love it, and want to buy a motorcycle. Three months later, I am waiting for my new (never been touched) 2009 FZ6R to be delivered this Friday! :D:D:D I can't wait to get started!

I am a manual-reading, rule-following, safety-precaution-taking, 30-something lady who is big on self preservation. I will crawl before I can walk. I live in a college town, so the streets (let's be honest--parking lots) should be empty while the students are all away for Thanksgiving over the next few days.

From what I have seen, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I will be asking you guys (and ladies) a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for all the good info!

ATLshawty

EDIT: Okay, so I just read some of the "Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!" thread with several convincing arguments as to why a 600cc sport bike is NOT a good first bike for new riders. Those of you who are familiar with the thread probably saw one of the common justifications in my statements about taking it slow. I completely understand, agree with, and respect all of the points made by the original poster and I have no intention of trying to argue the other side. Honestly, had I read it a few weeks ago, I might be waiting for a used 250cc bike to be delivered in 2 days. That said, I have already made my purchase. All I can do now is heed the warnings, take advantage of the knowledge of seasoned and safe riders, and respect the power (and potential danger for newbies) that comes with the FZ6R. I am not so arrogant that I think I am going to be the exception (although now I hope I will be). I read a lot of reviews and articles that supported the other side of the argument and, just like the points made in the "Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!" thread, those reviews and articles were convincing. I'll find out soon enough if I made a good decision for myself. Either way, I hope I can still count on the advice and support of everyone on this forum--regardless of which side of the argument you think is right.

Last edited:

k6gad

Hello and welcome. The first bike I ever purchased was a 1979 Kawasaki 650, I was 10 years old. Up until that time I had only ridden dirt bikes. The main thing to remember is to just take it easy. The FZ6R has some very mild manners if you treat it with some reasonable caution, keep the revs in the lower range and it will be quite tame. It is easy to handle and not too much heavier than some of the 250cc bikes out there. I think you are going to really enjoy the 6R!

A1A

Congrats on the new bike and welcome aboard.

Justin_27

Congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the forum I think you’ll be quite pleased with the choice you’ve made and enjoy every minute your on it. A healthy amount of fear will keep things in perspective but don’t be to afraid to get comfortable on the bike just remember what you learned and ride at a level your comfortable with and enjoy your newly found freedom.

creggur

Let me share the biggest problem, in my opinion, with starting out on a 600cc motorcycle: Testosterone. (doesn't sound like you'll have this problem)...

The FZ6R is a great bike to learn on. It's all about controlling your right wrist and taking it easy at first. The beauty of this motorcycle is it's linear power and stable handling characteristics. Yes, it's a 600 and there's plenty of get-up-and-go if you want it, but it's just as easy to stay in the lower revs and enjoy a very civilized ride.

You've picked a great bike; as long as you realize your limitations as a new rider, it will be a perfect machine you can grow with - without outgrowing - as you gain experience. Congratulations! And be sure to post some pics when you get your new ride...

Last edited:

Edd

Plus, the UK version, the XJ6... is recommended as a good starter bike as it's so forgiving... I wonder what it is about the above mentioned testosterone and some fairings that makes the FZ6R so different!

Welcome to the forum :) The XJ6 is my first bike and I'm loving it!

milepig

You're going to love the 6r. Couple of things, depending on how tall you are, consider lowering the bike AND get some frame sliders.

ry-mac75

Congrats on the pick up. A 600 is not ideal for a starter bike, but it is manageable. Respect the horsepower, know your limits and don't be afraid to ride at your own level.

Enjoy the new toy and welcome to the forum.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

creggur

Plus, the UK version, the XJ6... is recommended as a good starter bike as it's so forgiving... I wonder what it is about the above mentioned testosterone and some fairings that makes the FZ6R so different!

Welcome to the forum :) The XJ6 is my first bike and I'm loving it!
Two Things:
1) Big, Burly, Manly Men don't want to think they're riding around on a beginner bike so they fight the idea that someone can learn on a 600 tooth and nail.

2) A lot of the people learning on 600s are young males who let their testosterone rule their actions, do stupid things, and end up separated from their bikes at break-neck speeds.

Again, just my opinions, no scientific fact to back it up.:iconbeer:

ATLshawty

Riding my new FZ6R for the 1st (and 2nd) time!

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! It rained on Friday when my bike was delivered, so I just watched it from my window. Saturday afternoon, I rode around (inside) my complex for about 30 minutes. I understand what everyone is saying about the difference between the 250cc (or in my case, 125cc) bikes they provide during the MSF class and this 600cc bike, so I was kind of nervous starting out.

I am happy--and very proud--to report that I did okay. The bike cutoff a few times while I was getting used to the "friction zone" or getting familiar with my clutch and throttle. I also had a very rude awakening at the first stop sign, which was at a very steep incline. For a second, I thought I was going to have to call someone to come get me because the bike was so heavy. (My first car was a stick, so I don't mind rolling back a little, but the thought of rolling back on a 450+ lb motorcycle scared the crap out of me!) I figured it out and nagivated that stop many more times as it is the stop sign at the end of my street and the only exit. The parking lots are not very wide and they have a lot of speed bumps, so I had several chances to make good turns that were not too wide. I even did a sort of figure eight in some empty parking spaces at a dead end in the complex!

Sunday, I rode around (inside) my complex once and then ventured out into the neighborhood. I stayed on mostly residential streets with speed limits of 30 or 35 MPH. My bike did cut off once at a stop sign, but other than that, it was all good. There was light traffic and I was relieved that it didn't bother or scare me. I heard stories about people who buy bikes after the MSF class and ride in traffic once and then never ride again because they are too scared to ride outside the safety of a closed range. I used my turning signal, made left and right turns, crossed railroad tracks, and rode with some jerk in a car close behind me (maybe mad that I was only going the speed limit). One of things I am most proud of is that I kept the throttle steady so my ride was not jerky. That was a problem for me during the MSF class and I am happy that I was able to keep it steady even as I changed gears.

First, I was waiting to see how I reacted to being in traffic and after I noticed myself calmly and comfortably doing all of the things I learned in the MSF class, I realized THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very pleased with my purchase and I can't wait to practice more!

Milepig: Thanks for the suggestions. I am 5'10" and the seat height works well for me. I had the dealership throw in frame sliders in order to get the sale (thanks to a tip from a coworker who rides).

ATLshawty

Last edited:

ry-mac75

Don't sweat the weight of the bike too much. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not like you're going to sling it on your back and carry it around. As far as bike's go, it's pretty easy to push around. If you get some after market levers (shorties especially) you'll find shifting a lot easier. The stock levers are horrible. My joints in my hands were always stiff from working them on longer rides - now, perfect.

Best of luck and go at your own pace!

frelay

Hello! This is my first bike also. I am glad I did not go for a mule (250cc). You just need to take it slow and practice. The only time I almost droped it was when I was trying to push it while I was standing on its side: BIG NO NO! If you need to move it, sit on it!!

Best of luck!

Detrich

Congrats CONGRATS! :)

ride safely guys and post some pix.

6R Blackout

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, I have to say I agree this forum is really good. It has helped me alot so far on questions for just about anything I have about my bike. I love this site. Well anyway I am very pleased with my 6R and you will be too. Once again welcome to the site and ride safe.http://www.600cc.org/forum/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

Roaddawg

Welcome to the forum. If I may give you a couple of riding tips from your above post....I work (and commute on my bike) in San Francisco, so I deal with a lot of hills and here's my advice (kinda like a stick shift car). When stopping on a hill, lean the bike slightly to your left as you hold down the rear brake with your right foot. Engage the clutch until you feel it grabbing while you simultaneously release the rear brake. Don't try to hold the front brake while you try and twist the throttle. Use just the rear so you can concentrate on the throttle and clutch better.

And with the car tailgating you and you going the speed limit....We've (forum members) have come to the conclusion that the stock speedometer is off about 8%, showing your INDICATED speed to be faster than your ACTUAL speed. I usually just go about 5-7 MPH faster (showing on the speedo) than the speed limit. Adding the +1 front sprocket (or -3 rear sprocket) makes the speedo accurate...just for info. If you use the "search" on these topics, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hope this info helps. Enjoy the learning experience and ride! :cool:

ChrisFZ6R09

Welcome to the Forum, congrats on your purchase!

We really hope you will enjoy it. I'm still pretty new to mine with only about 1400 miles on it. Be safe and know your limits. My first bike was a 2001 Honda Rebel 250. Great bike and i learned A LOT on it that i'm glad i DIDN'T learn on my FZ.

Frame Sliders and a Brain are all you really need. The brain helps get all the important stuff...like helmet, gear, ect. :)

ME_with_a_B

Congratulations on your new bike ATLshawty! Sounds like you had a really great first couple days of riding :thumbup:

You'll probably shock yourself at how quickly your fear of all things (traffic related and otherwise) disappears.

I swore up and down I was only going to ride around in parking-lots the first season I had my bike... here I am a year and a half later, with a heckuva lot of miles on my bike, and only a few mishaps under my belt.

Ride safe and have fun!!